Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Originally posted by mslotus

I was at Herries School in the seventies and we had Windscale, Caulder, Dounray and Jodrell. They had colours too, red, yellow ,blue and green respectively. Each year just before the summer holidays we would hold a sports day where the houses competed against each other.

Wierd choice of names!

Didn't Windscale get renamed Sellafield when the local folk and fish turned fluorescent.

Wonder if the Herries house colour was green..dohhh.

When Ecclesfield was a real school it had Wycliffe, Bronte, Strafford, Lady Mabel, Priestley and Fairfax.

At my Primary schoool we had: Lancaster (red) York (blue) Tudor (Green) and Stuart (Yellow)

Guest Ant

Muffin wrote: When Ecclesfield was a real school it had Wycliffe, Bronte, Strafford, Lady Mabel, Priestley and Fairfax.

I went to Ecclesfield when it wasn't a real school, and our houses were Eagle, Kestrel, Hawk, and Falcon. I was in Falcon with all the duffers. I don't think we won a thing - we should have been called Hufflepuff.

Meynell Road Secondary Modern in the early 50's had Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin and (Chang) Kia Shek. The houses then changed to Drake, Nelson, and two others I don't remember!

De La Salle at Pitsmoor in the fifties/sixties had Kirkman (Yellow), Clitheroe (Red), Lockwood (Green) and Ludlum (Blue).

Wonder if Clitheroe house was named after Jimmy that

mischievous scamp who delighted us in the golden days of wireless.Sadly he did not make a seamless transition to TV as

viewers found it difficult to reconcile the grey hairs on his legs with

the role of naughty schoolboy.

Originally posted by Ant

Muffin wrote: When Ecclesfield was a real school it had Wycliffe, Bronte, Strafford, Lady Mabel, Priestley and Fairfax.

I went to Ecclesfield when it wasn't a real school, and our houses were Eagle, Kestrel, Hawk, and Falcon. I was in Falcon with all the duffers. I don't think we won a thing - we should have been called Hufflepuff.

I went to Nethergreen Junior School back in the late 60s and we had Eagles, Hawks, Kestrels and Falcons too. Yes, I was a Falcon also and we never won anything either. I remember hating the Kestrels cos they just won the shield every year. I wasn't a duffer- I was just no good a sports.

[Clitheroe

that caught my eye, this is a true story.

we were in skegness & it appears jimmy clitheroe was appearing at the theatre accross the road from where we were walking.

My mom saw this schoolboy waiting to cross the busy road,she took his hand & said wait a minute love & i will take you accross.

'Schoolboy' J.C. looked at us & smiled then said thanx luv & they then proceeded to cross the rd.

At the other side j.c. said thanx & bowed to mum & she still had no idea who he was even when she saw the rest of us laughing our heads off & j.c. waving to us with a big grin on his face.

:lol:

just joined this forum. I left sheffield in 1967 & became a west australian then. Have visited sheffield twice since then & wouldn't want to live there, but many places there in u.k. are beautiful.

I went to st.matthias scxhool & then greystones sec.mod when they split the 3 schools up-st.matthias/pomona st/st.silas.

Have caught up with brian thompson formerly st.silas,michael walsh/michael cuthbert/anne cawthorne all from st.matthias.

Been trying to find others but not easy to do on the net :)

I lived as a kid on beeley st., near locarno & s & e co-op.

Then went to brightmore drive flats.

cheers shawn.

City Grammar School had 4 houses named for what we would now call ethnic tribes. The only 2 which I can remeber are Maori and Zulu.

Mansell primary had Normans (red), Saxons (blue), Danes (yellow)and Celts. I REEEALY wanted to be a Celt so I could wear green but the hat nominated me a Hufflepuff Saxon instead. That blood y stupid hat......