Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

7 hours ago, St Petre said:

Jim, the buildings that are  still there on the old Sutherland Road side was part of the junior school (my last classroom there was one of them) as was the Lyons Street side. The infant's classrooms were in the middle

As for the 'houses' at Burngreave, the reason that there was no 'Saints' house was because All Saint's pupils did not go to Burngreave until 1948/49-they carried on there until 14 years of age, the school leaving age then, By 1948 Burngreave had been open 17 years and the houses had already been established. Told to me by a former pupil of All Saints who was in the first draft to go there in the late 40s.

Yes, you're right about the juniors now that I think about it. I remember being taught by Sally Sails in one of those rooms (ruler on both hands for dropping a pencil) and Miss Manning in another.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes, you're right about the juniors now that I think about it. I remember being taught by Sally Sails in one of those rooms (ruler on both hands for dropping a pencil) and Miss Manning in another. 

Yes I recall those two especially  the formidable 'Sally' Elsie Sales  (a Scott Road resident). The other one who, to me. was more easy going and her married name was Mrs. Manning, previously Miss Thornhill. Sally was the deputy headteacher (under Mr. Hugh Hall) but taught classes -as you know-anyway. Not that you mentioned it but the infants didn't really have a headteacher but one in the guise of Miss Major, a 'Bessie Braddock' type of woman, physically and vocally, remember her ?

Edited by St Petre
Add

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes I recall those two especially  the formidable 'Sally' Elsie Sales  (a Scott Road resident). The other one who, to me. was more easy going and her married name was Mrs. Manning, previously Miss Thornhill. Sally was the deputy headteacher (under Mr. Hugh Hall) but taught classes -as you know-anyway. Not that you mentioned it but the infants didn't really have a headteacher but one in the guise of Miss Major, a 'Bessie Braddock' type of woman, physically and vocally, remember her ?

Miss Major, I remember the name but can't picture her. I think Mrs Manning also lived on Scott Road, we sometimes used to pass each other as I walked to Owler Lane. I have a recollection that she died relatively young.

We had Furniss, Pictou, Morcar and Beaulieu. ( I think that was the spelling )

On 03/10/2017 at 12:30, slotter47 said:

High Storrs 1958-1963,picts,saxons,normans,spartans,jutes and others if anyone can remember.

Can only add 'Franks', don't remember if there were 6 or 8 in total.

High Storrs grammar for boys, 1960 -1966, in the final years of headmaster George Mack.

8 houses if I remember correctly:

Normans, maroon shirt with yellow collar and cuffs

Goths, red shirt

Picts, yellow and maroon quarters shirt??

Trojans, yellow and black quarters shirts

Saxons

Jutes

Franks

Spartans

Come on, fill in the missing shirt colours and correct any errors.  It should be easy, only 55 years ago!

Went to Whitby road houses were Hamptons yellow Craven's blue hadfields green Ellison's red

On 09/09/2020 at 19:19, David Beddus said:

High Storrs grammar for boys, 1960 -1966, in the final years of headmaster George Mack.

8 houses if I remember correctly:

Normans, maroon shirt with yellow collar and cuffs

Goths, red shirt

Picts, yellow and maroon quarters shirt??

Trojans, yellow and black quarters shirts

Saxons

Jutes

Franks

Spartans

Come on, fill in the missing shirt colours and correct any errors.  It should be easy, only 55 years ago!

I’ve never seen a Goth in a red shirt.

High Storrs boys house shirts in the early 1960's

Fresh input confirmed from a couple of private messages:

Picts were white / purple quarters.

Anyone remember the colours for Saxons, Jutes, Franks and Spartans?

BTW, Goths wore red shirts before black became fashionable.  We're talking about the early 1960's.

On 29/12/2009 at 22:05, kiwiowl said:

I think my schools have been mentioned before but not in complete posts.

Charnock Hall has houses named after famous people somehow connected with the Sheffield area.

Brindley (blue) - Charles Brindley, architect/bridge builder etc

Chantry (red) - I think Chantry documented Sheffield's history around the time of the domesday book

Hardwick (green) - not sure, Bess of Hardwick perhaps?

Nightingale (yellow) - Florence Nightingale, family had an estate in Derbyshire.

At Thornbridge, named after local landowners from the middle ages.

Morcar (red) - hated being in red cos I'm an owl :(

Furniss (yellow) - always finished last.

Beauly (blue) - not sure about spelling.

Pictou (green) - quite appropriate as we used to taunt them with "pick two bogeys".

I think a lot of schools did away with houses when political correctness kicked in due to that horrible notion of competition :loopy:

We also didn't have a school uniform (unless you allow jeans and a star jumper) because the Sheffield Education Executive deemed them too posh. A few years later they had to change their minds because the kids whose families could afford designer label stuff were picking on the kids he couldn't :huh:

Charnock junior school 1980 -1984 still used Brindley, Chantrey, Hardwick & Nightingale, I remember headmaster Mr Jarvis presenting the winner each month.

Chantrey must have been Sir Francis Chantrey the once famous sculptor from Norton. Not sure about Brindley and Hardwick though. Thornbridge secondary school. from 1984 didn't have any house teams as far as I recall.

Edited by WarPig

On 02/09/2003 at 17:48, Carlwarker said:

At King Ted's in the '50s the School Houses had the names of stately homes, or dukes, I'm not sure which. There were eight of them. I remember Arundel, Chatsworth, Haddon and Wentworth - I'm not sure of the names of the others. I wonder if KES still has them.

1954-59 I was in Sherwood.  Was Welbeck one of the 8?

Arundel

Chatsworth

Haddon

Wentworth

Sherwood

Clumber 
Welbeck 

Lynwood