Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

City Grammar School had 4 houses named for what we would now call ethnic tribes. The only 2 which I can remeber are Maori and Zulu.

I can only remember 3 houses,Zulu Rivelin, Kaffir Sheaf, and Maori Loxley

I went to the City Grammar School when it was off Leopold Street in town. We had 'houses' there and were called Maori-Loxley [which i was in ] Kaffir- Sheaf and Zulu- Rivelin.

At SHS the houses are still named after the four founders of the original school.

At SHS the houses are still named after the four founders of the original school.

Yes ,in 1962 I was in Shirreff house ( blue) !

Yes, I remember those houses.  I was in Chantrey (blue).

I attended from 1964 until the year Mr. Saunders retired as Headmaster (he was presented with a black/white TV for his retirement gift). Mr. Brittain was the music teacher, and Mr. Fern was my class teacher.

Oh, and Margaret Munn (now Meg Munn) was one of my classmates.

I've just read all 54 pages of this thread to see if any mention of Tapton school ( darwin Lane)

I seem to remember the houses were

Mappin

Firth

Osborne

????

was it Allen?

Central Tech had 4 left in 1956 they were called Faraday Stephenson Bessemer and I think Telford colours were red yellow green and blue Mr Wadge was headmaster Mr Clarke took chemistry and pop Gregory was physics and religion.

Heh, heh, heh! This post about the old school "houses" system really took me back in time! I went to Myers Grove school between 1969 and 1974 and they operated a 4 house system back then  - India (yellow), Canada (green), Ghana (red) and Australia (blue).

Myers Grove was a truly  terrible school and I was very relieved to leave there as soon as I'd finished my "O Levels"!   In terms of facilities, it was great, with modern stuff, like separate, well-equipped gyms, science labs, craft facilities, properly kitted-out workshops for domestic science, woodwork, metal work etc, tennis and netball courts, an area for athletics  and playing fields suitable for football, cricket, rugby, hockey.... but basically it was a bog standard comprehensive school, which fancied itself as a grammar school...and ultimately failed to be either. It was very elitist - and streamed all the kids by academic ability - with the bright kids being given lots of time and attention - but the less academic kids were just thrown to the wolves! 

After the first year there, they isolated about 60 of the apparently "brighter"   kids, called us "the grammar school stream" and then they educated us separately from the rest of our peer group for our remaining time there. On a personal level, because I was deemed as one of the brighter kids, this probably did me a favour, but I still resent the ethos behind it, because too many kids were written off far too young

I  was in the "India" house - but as far as I recall, very few of us kids gave a toss about the house system - it was just a throwback to the old public school days - it was outdated even in the 70's - and I hope that it just doesn't exist these days.

Edited by nikki-red

Walkley County (seniors) School had Arrow, Cannon, Castle and Sword.

Edited by carosio

On 25/06/2019 at 18:52, ianparkin said:

I've just read all 54 pages of this thread to see if any mention of Tapton school ( darwin Lane)

I seem to remember the houses were

Mappin

Firth

Osborne

????

was it Allen?

Yes it was, Allen was Blue, Mappin Red,Firth Yellow, and Osborne Green, I was there 1964 to 1968.....😁

Firth Park grammar School....Foch  Raleigh , Beatty,  Haigh. An indication of the school's founding

Foch WW1 French General, Raleigh (Walter) Beatty British Naval Admiral, Haigh British WW1  General

Edited by nikki-red