Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Was it Colin Smith or Russell Smith?

Our houses were assigned randomly to each boy upon first entering the school, so each form would have boys from all different houses. Houses were not geographic entities within the school.

At my primary school at Intake S12 we had houses, they were named after the 4 big rivers thru sheffield blue was don, green was rivelin, red was sheaf and yellow was porter. I left primary school in 96 so don't no if they still av them. I know my sons school at penistone don't have houses or anythin like that but their classes r named after animals.

Was it Colin Smith or Russell Smith?

Our houses were assigned randomly to each boy upon first entering the school, so each form would have boys from all different houses. Houses were not geographic entities within the school.

For the form room, in my time at HSS, all the pupils were from the same house. In the actual lessons, the pupils would be from different houses.

For example, in the fourth year, I was in form "Hf4S":- Hoffman house (Hf) 4th Year (4) and Mr Sale as form tutor (S).

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 17:14 ----------

I couldn't tell you the given-name of Mr Smith, BTW, sorry.

For the form room, in my time at HSS, all the pupils were from the same house. In the actual lessons, the pupils would be from different houses.

For example, in the fourth year, I was in form "Hf4S":- Hoffman house (Hf) 4th Year (4) and Mr Sale as form tutor (S).

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 17:14 ----------

I couldn't tell you the given-name of Mr Smith, BTW, sorry.

Colin Smith was an eccentric, well liked guy who taught Latin and Greek.

Russell Smith not as personable. Religious studies.

Colin Smith was an eccentric, well liked guy who taught Latin and Greek.

Russell Smith not as personable. Religious studies.

I suspect I may have been taught Classics by Smith C. I really enjoyed Classics.

CS Smith also used to have a way with the gym slipper too. By the time you were at HS, I suspect corporal punishment had gone out the window but it was the order of the day when I went there. CS would make you (read "me") bend over a chair in the front of the class, then take a run at you ("me" again) with the slipper and whack backside with gusto.

If you/ me dared to make a gesture afterwards (shrug of shoulder, smirk) to show bravado, he'd subject said pupil to a repeat performance.

Funny thing is we never held it against him because that was the way teaching was done then and he was such a likeable guy in many other respects.

I went to Abbeydale Girls Grammar in 1965, and was in 1 Darling, which I thought funny, till I realised it was named after Grace Darling, who rescued shipwrecked sailors. There was also Cavell - there's a statue of Nurse Cavell (hope I spelled it right) quite near Leicester Square in London, Nightingale - obviously Florence, and Marvel, who another post has said helped victims of the plague in India. There should have been a Green house after our amazing Dr Green, the Head Mistress. She gave me a place as 31st in my class, three days after we had moved to Sheffield. It was such a happy seven years, but I remember us singing the school song - Life Lies Before Thee - for the last tme, in tears in 1970; the death knell of our three Grammar Schools.

Brindley, Chantrey, Hardwick and Nightingale.

At Burngreave secondary modern we had

Bank

Hill

Mere &

Wood

and if you got on the wrong side of Hugesy (headmaster) we also had, Dog, if you wanted a crafty drag at play time you went to the, Sh*t,

BTW. Just heard of Eric Claptout.

Yes Burngreave boys had houses named after four of the five feeder schools : Bank (Pye Bank), Hill (Firshill), Mere (Ellesmere) and Wood (Woodside). The other one was All Saints (Sutherland Road) who didn't have one and as a former pupil of the latter I felt a little dismay.

At Carfield Junior School in the 1950s there were: Ruskin, Chantrey, & Montgomery houses; there may have been a fourth house but I can't remember the name. Just done a search on this thread & it turns out the fourth house was Elliot; presumably named after Ebenezer Elliot.

At Brincliffe Grammar there were house assemblies & house points were awarded, but I cannot remember any of the house names. Perhaps Duffems remembers?

Edited by fatrajah

My kids' primary school has houses named after Sheffield rivers: Sheaf, Don, Loxley, Rivelin, Porter. Nice to see these traditions carrying on!

High Storrs 1958-1963,picts,saxons,normans,spartans,jutes and others if anyone can remember.