Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

At Woodhouse Grammar in the fifties, we had Sherwood(which was green, could you guess?), Hallam, Rotherwood and ... something else! Most of us spent more time getting out of things than joining in though:P

At King Ted's in the '50s the School Houses had the names of stately homes, or dukes, I'm not sure which. There were eight of them. I remember Arundel, Chatsworth, Haddon and Wentworth - I'm not sure of the names of the others. I wonder if KES still has them.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

At King Ted's in the '50s the School Houses had the names of stately homes, or dukes, I'm not sure which. There were eight of them. I remember Arundel, Chatsworth, Haddon and Wentworth - I'm not sure of the names of the others. I wonder if KES still has them.

Hey there you Old Edwardian. I was at King Teds until 1979.

I don't remember houses at all and seem to think we didn't have them at all. Great school. Wish I was back there now.

Hi - thanks for that info. I was there '49-'55. Returned to Sheffield five years ago after thirty-two years of travelling. Sheffield ain't what it used to be - but where is - and there is still Carl Wark and that area of Derbyshire within twenty minutes drive. Must admit though, if I had the means, I'd be back on the West Coast (Vancouver Island).

Cheers.

I think Myers Grove was -

Canada

Australia

Ghana

India

Can anyone confirm that ? ( the brain cells are going rapidly)

I went to Hillsborough Junior school and we had local road names for team houses (dull or what!) They were Dixon (red) Willis (Blue) Wynyard (green) & Warner (Yellow). That was in the late 60s to mid 70s, anyone remember?;)

I was at High Storrs and we had two houses - Smith and Stevenson. They are named after the head of houses, e.g Mr Smith and Mr Stevenson. When my mum was there I think she said there was four, catcliff or something is the only I can remember her telling me.

I was at Hillsborough junior school in 1990 (only year 1) but I don't remember any houses.....of course that could be because I was so young

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I went to Hinde House and they had Sorby (yellow) Chantry (green) brierley (red i think) and Hunter (blue).

I was in Sorby

I too went to Hinde House. I think that you have the colours for Brierley and Hunter the wrong way round. I'm fairly certain that Hunter was red and Brierley, blue. I was in Chantry.

The old Eckington Grammar school now demolished to mak way for Morrisons at Halfway. The house wereSherwood(purple) Peveril(green) Chandos(red)and Ferrers(yellow).Peveril always seemed to win everything in my time

Myers Grove in the sixties was commonwealth country names

India

Ghana

Canada

Australia

Prince Edwards had houses named after Welsh castles...Conway, Caerphilly, Harlech and Caenarfon.