Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Just wondered if schools still split the pupils into groups or "houses"?

My junior school -Pomona Street County -named its four houses after local rivers -Loxley,Rivelin,Meersbrook and Porter.

Oddly enough they didn't adopt the Sheaf or Don which are both

more impressive than the piddling Porter and Meersbrook.

Pupils were awarded house-points for sporting or academic

achievements - and occasionally for outstanding bravery.

I recall one filthy winters day Mick Newsome -a tough 9- year old backstreet kid being awarded 100 housepoints for retrieving

a caseball from the fast-flowing river which ran alongside the

school playing field.The teacher had fortunately fastened a length

of rope around the plucky youngster -otherwise I think the

wide-eyed watching schoolkids could see him carried along in the the torrents that disappeared into the tunnels at Moorfoot.

Mercifully he emerged to rasping cheers carrying the ball in one hand and holding onto his sodden underpants with the other.

i went to this school in 1977. i didnt stay long.I wa in porter house

hiya i left hinde house in 83 and i was in sorby they was also breily, chantry and hunter. All tropheys were kept in wooden cabinets in the hall in the upper school and we had to collects points, when i first went to hinde house we tried our best to get points but after a while that wore off.

Hi Magjim, I was at Abbeydale Grammar in the 40s but can't remember Marvel. What years were you there

went to Stocksbridge in 66-68 was in red thats all I remember.

before that went to crapp school called Oakwood but can't remember any houses.

i went to hunters bar middle school, they had houses there, 4....loxley(blue), porter(red), rivelin(green), and the one i was proudly leader of..(sticks chest out)....sheaf(yellow)....as you have probably guessed named after the four rivers.:)

I was at Jordanthorpe we had Wulfric, Blythe, Kirk and Chantry - Red, yellow, blue green. They were all local men architects etc - unfortunately non of us had heard of them....

I wonder if they used local famous people now from modern times who they would pick.

Joe Cocker? Sean Bean? Dave Berry (I think he was Dronfield)? and I am sure there are loads of sportsmen and women we could have.

Any ideas??

Ginger

Muffin wrote: When Ecclesfield was a real school it had Wycliffe, Bronte, Strafford, Lady Mabel, Priestley and Fairfax.

I went to Ecclesfield when it wasn't a real school, and our houses were Eagle, Kestrel, Hawk, and Falcon. I was in Falcon with all the duffers. I don't think we won a thing - we should have been called Hufflepuff.

I was in Eagle house. I remember you got a lapel badge to wear, ours was Red.

GO EAGLES

When I was at Notre Dame in the early 90s it was

Red - Firth

Yellow - Oakbrook (or was it Oakwood...?)

Green - Hallam

Blue - Cavendish

Actually I'm not sure if they're right at all... But they were definitely named after something other than the blessed holies. Incidentally, was Sister Conceptor there when you were? I remember her shuffling around the halls. All us kids used to speculate that she had actually died many years previously and been used in some mummification experiment. She was one of the last of the nuns to go I think... Very old she was...

i went there from 79 - 83 and i wa in green wich wa picardy

Do you remember the colours too? Kestrel, Eagle, Falcon, Hawk.

I was in Kestrel, and we won everything :D .

With all your posts about Park Hill and Norfolk, plus the ones about Park Baths, it looks like I'm stalking you :lol: . I'm not really, honest. You've just brought back a few memories.

Were the merit boxes underneath the fish tank near Mr Sharp's office still there when you were at Park Hill?

i went there in 1977 til 1979 but i dont remember any houses

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but can't be arsed going through 19 pages to check :hihi: But at Tinsley junior school we had Wentworth (Red) De Busli (Blue) Le Bret (Green) & Bolinbrook (Yellow)

Hi Magjim, I was at Abbeydale Grammar in the 40s but can't remember Marvel. What years were you there

I was at Abbeydale Grammar from 42 to 47. We definitely had a house named Alice Marvel. I believe she was a missionary/doctor, don't know when. I was in Elizabeth Fry house, which one were you in?

Was Walkley County Secondary School previously Walkley County Junior & Senior School, just across the road from the Infants School ?

The junior and infants were in the building which is still a school. The secondarywas across the roadand flanked by Burnaby St and Greaves St this building is now apartments I believe.