What's the name of this area of Sheffield?

Whilst driving down Upper Allen St earlier, I noticed almost every square inch of it, and surrounding roads are being built on. (all flats)

Meaning Upper Allen St / Edward St / down to Meadow St etc etc.

Perhaps Netherthorpe would be the answer, but it isn't really, with the dual carriageway separating it.

What will the developers name this area? Maybe with the imminent ring road completion, they will describe it as City Centre. But that doesn't seem right either.

Anyone know the name of the area?

I live round the corner from Meadow Street, and I can definitely say that I live in.... NETHERTHORPE!

Which is funny in a family history kind of way as my Dad is originally from nearby Upperthorpe!

A bit of an old thread, but I had a wander down today and found where AKADOK meant now.

This is number 35 Well Meadow St

that's opposite

and that's next door to num 35

Non look like they used to back to backs though.

EDIT, when I took one further down the road, I was asked if required business :shocked: hehe :hihi:

There's a Well Meadow Conservation Area and the main building is grade 2* listed. Given the current state it's hard to see how it will ever survive. It's not as if it's even in a nice location and could be converted to residential.

The best we could hope for is that it could get some Lottery money and be restored as an annexe to the nearby Kelham Island Museum.

From the council website -

Well Meadow Street. This street contains important examples of Sheffield’s early industrial architecture. The two surviving complexes comprise houses, workshops and crucible furnaces, and are listed buildings.

THe district may have been called the Croft, as before the war next to St Vincents was a school which my Mom called Croft House which was bombed in the second world war.

My Mom went to St Vincents School around 1916 and talked about school friends living on Hollis Croft which lay behind Solly St.

All the old names she mentioned seem to be still there, I noticed Mushroom Lane a few days ago which brought back memories.

hazel

The council certainly won't have the money to preserve these bulidings and I expect the usual strategy will be followed.

Neglect them until they are dangerous and then demolish them on grounds of public safety.

Personally I have doubts as to whether this area should be a conservation area at all.

Conservation Areas = money to local authorities.

Personally I have doubts as to whether this area should be a conservation area at all.

I have doubts whether Conservation Areas in Sheffield have any meaning whatsoever. I know in the Cotswolds they're rigourously enforced, right down to the colour of gloss paint you can use on your windowframes.

In Sheffield it just means leave the listed buildings standing and fill in the gaps with "luxury appartments".

From the council website -

Well Meadow Street. This street contains important examples of Sheffield’s early industrial architecture. The two surviving complexes comprise houses, workshops and crucible furnaces, and are listed buildings.

Ah nice find Alastair. I wasn't aware that it was listed.

4.2 The Well Meadow area is located in the Netherthorpe Ward about 1 kilometre to the west of the City Centre. The area has seven metal trades buildings in the area' date=' the earliest are in a simple Georgian style, [b']the most important of which is 35 Well Meadow Street, a grade II* listed courtyard complex[/b], with a crucible workshop.

4.3 The area was developed from farmland from the early 19th century onwards, and was laid out in a semi-formal grid pattern common in Georgian town expansion. The original development consisted of terraced and back to back housing interspersed with small industrial works. During the 19th century the size of the industrial premises increased, sometimes by the incorporation of housing into the works as at the Well Meadow Steel Works, and also by extension and new building.

Neglect them until they are dangerous and then demolish them on grounds of public safety.

Sadly I agree.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean?

With CA's come things like Townscape Heritage Initiative grants. These provide money to LA's to 'improve' the urban grain of the CA. These in turn keep the officers of the LA Conservation Dpt in work.

A CA needs a certain proportion of listed buildings, therefore new listings often happen where before there were none.

Cynics suggest that this does not mean that a building needs any protection or that it is even worthy of protection, but that the very act of listing it happens to create perpetual motion in the public heritage industry. Unfortunately private building owners and operators are then left holding the can and areas such as Well Meadow Street then require preserving in perpetuity. Unfortunately many buildings such as Well Meadow Street are semi-derelict dumps that have little historical reference and even less architectural quality or significance.

Changes and alterations to buildings already require planning consent and in my view this is already more than sufficient protection. Where an exceptional building requires protection then it can be listed with next to no notice so again protection is already available.

Conservation Area status makes sense in places such as Broomhill or around Sheffield cathedral because there is sufficient density of quality that forms a cohesive urban grain to warrant wholesale protection. I fail to see what cohesive grain there is to protect around Well Meadow Street, or Bramall Lane, or behind Wards Brewery, or in the CIQ.

That brings is back to perpetual motion.

Conservation Area status makes sense in places such as Broomhill or around Sheffield cathedral because there is sufficient density of quality that forms a cohesive urban grain to warrant wholesale protection. I fail to see what cohesive grain there is to protect around Well Meadow Street, or Bramall Lane, or behind Wards Brewery, or in the CIQ.

I'm surprised Bramall Lane is a conservation area unless the council thinks tatty inner city landscapes are somehow under threat? Whats to conserve there? And the area behind Wards brewery??

Is there a list of the Sheffield conservation areas anywhere. I looked for it online and failed to find one.

There are over 30 CA's in Sheffield, most of which you'd think to yourself "what on earth...?!" It's a veritable industry.

How can you have eleven quarters? That's nearly three cities-worth of them.

In this case it is "Quarter", or "to Quarter" as in place to stay rather than 1/4 or 25%