What's the name of this area of Sheffield?

St Vincents is the name given to the quarter NOT the district, area or locality name.

In my job I work with City Counil GPS, Mapping Systems, and Gazetteer Updates and it is definately Netherthorpe.

That doesn't mean that renaming an area isn't appropriate but thats for the local people to decide.

Incidentally I work in the City Centre. But my work is based in part of the New Retail Quarter. The post address is still City Centre and is not changing to Retail Quarter!

What is St. Vincent's a quarter of - Netherthorpe ?; and what shall the other three quarters be called ? All this re-naming of little bits of the city seems a bit silly, - although I appreciate it's not your fault :), and in the end we'll lose all the historic names as well as the places.

Names have always changed. The Historic names you like were new names for those places once. And these new names will be old names in 30 years time.

As for 'quarters', it doesn't mean the same thing as it does in maths, when refering to areas of a town. It simply means a district of a city, having some distinguishing character. You have the Latin Quarter in Paris for example.

Most of those flats seem to be being built by some firm called Okon, who have big signs saying 'Land Aquired by Okon Construction' all over the place. Personally I'd be very worried buying a flat constructed by someone who couldn't spell 'acquired'.

Ocon are the construction arm of Opal Properties, who own the student halls on Wellington Street.

The new developments are going to be a mix of student and residential accommodation (but mostly student).

I think people may refer to it as "Netherthorpe" partly because of its proximity to Netherthorpe Road and party because it used to lie within the old Netherthorpe Council ward.

The Council themselves refer to it as the "St. Vincent's Quarter" on most of their regeneration stuff - but I've heard it variously referred to as "St. George's" (after the road), "The Crofts" (after Hollis Croft and White Croft) and "St. Phillips" (after the social club!)

The whole thing was featured on a C4 documentary a couple of years back about the Sheffield prostitution trade (:D) but it's cleaning up its act now as lots of students and young professionals are moving in!

Names have always changed. The Historic names you like were new names for those places once. And these new names will be old names in 30 years time.

As for 'quarters', it doesn't mean the same thing as it does in maths, when refering to areas of a town. It simply means a district of a city, having some distinguishing character. You have the Latin Quarter in Paris for example.

Can you tell me some names that have changed in Sheffield ? Threre are some that have been lost due to lack of use but I can't off hand think of any that have changed.

And thank you but I am aware of the meaning of 'quarter' in it's topographical sense. :)

Just down from were the new flats are being built there's an old Victorian terraced street called Well Meadow Street, with the remains of some back to back houses and small industrial premises. Even has cobbles!

Well worth a look, while it's still standing, if only to see what the old Netherthorpe looked like. Bear in mind though, it's used by sex workers and their punters at night, so be careful.

'Well Meadow' is designated as a 'Character Area' on the design plan....I wonder if it's going to be kept and refurbished as Olde Sheffield ? :D

http://sccplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/urban_design/quarters_vincents.htm

'Well Meadow' is designated as a 'Character Area' on the design plan....I wonder if it's going to be kept and refurbished as Olde Sheffield ? :D

http://sccplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/urban_design/quarters_vincents.htm

Very few listed buildings in there I notice.

The buildings that are coloured in the 'Unlisted but buildings contribute to area', should be renamed 'buildings with a high risk of fire':suspect:

*removes Mr Cynic hat*:hihi:

Can you tell me some names that have changed in Sheffield ? Threre are some that have been lost due to lack of use but I can't off hand think of any that have changed.

As I haven't lived here for a couple of hundred years that's a tricky question. :)

But then there's Jorvik and Londininium, two little hamlets whose names have changed. Londinium/Lundenwic/Lundenburgh is one possible progression for London. And come to think of it Sharrow [iIRC]was known as Little Sheffield on older maps.

As I haven't lived here for a couple of hundred years that's a tricky question. :)

But then there's Jorvik and Londininium, two little hamlets whose names have changed. Londinium/Lundenwic/Lundenburgh is one possible progression for London. And come to think of it Sharrow [iIRC]was known as Little Sheffield on older maps.

Obviously there has been changes to spellings of names. Heeley, for one, I've seen spelt about 10 different ways.

I still hear Little Sheffield today occasionally, for the bottom area of Sharrow.

A bit of an old thread, but I had a wander down today and found where AKADOK meant now.

Hi Ash

That's the street alright, but the wrong bit of it. The old houses are at the top end, but you can't get to them from there, as they've built a factory right across it.

If you go back up Upper Allen Street, turn left and then right, there they are.

This is number 35 Well Meadow St

that's opposite

and that's next door to num 35

Non look like they used to back to backs though.

EDIT, when I took one further down the road, I was asked if required business :shocked: hehe :hihi:

I didn't think they looked like back-to-backs either. There were some slightly later (but still old), terraces at the bottom end which were occupied as recently as 1998, but they were demolished to make way for the new extension to the factory.

What's sad is that the remaining properties have visibly deteriorated in the last few months, judging by your pictures. I don't think Well Meadow Street will be with us much longer.

One thing i love about sheffield is the endless ammounts of different names for areas there are. Where i am, earl marshal road, my friends live 5 minutes one way on hawkshead road, dave's just sold his place between the two on upwell hill, and my other mate lives across the way on Firthpark road at the top of page hall road.

Now, we call the area Fir Vale. But it's part of Burngreave. And my firth park road mate calls where he lives Page Hall. Dave used to call his upwell hill pad (literally off my road) Grimesthorpe, which is the road behind me where my allotment is. Then the road next to us is whiteways road/ close/ crescent etc, so people call that area Whiteways. Then I've heard people call the area 'Upwell', whereas my mates on Hawkshead road call it grimesthorpe, but it's really in Brightside.

Back on topic, I thought that the area from west bar up towards edward st flats was st vincents quarter, then the bit from edward st flats to the ring road was st georges quarter- some or all of which may or may not be part of Netherthorpe. Go as far as upperthopre though and we'll start arguing about where crookesmoor, crookes, walkley, upperthorpe and broomhill start and finish.

Bonkers, balmy, brilliant sheffieldism.