What's the name of this area of Sheffield?

I think 'Red Light' area may be appropriate!

:hihi: couldnt agree more!. you could end up with some really 'classy' (toungue in cheek) girls touting for business outside your designer city living door

!

the city council calls it the St Vincents Quarter after the church

A friend who lives there says it has been known as the St Vincent's area informally for a long time, and recently the council have semi-officially named the area as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Vincent's_Quarter

Vince

How can you have eleven quarters? That's nearly three cities-worth of them.

Just as a matter of interest Netherthorpe was always a misnomer anyway. It arose in relation to Upperthorpe which in fact was a corruption of Hooperthorpe.

Shefielders always did have a contempt for their 'aitches' :)

Does anyone know of the nearby area of Port Mahon? I've only ever seen it on one map, but never heard anyone refer to that name.

A friend who lives there says it has been known as the St Vincent's area informally for a long time, and recently the council have semi-officially named the area as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Vincent's_Quarter

Vince

That could well be the answer then.

The posters that call it Netherthorpe are probably right as far as the correct name. But I can't see developers selling expensive flats using that name.

How can you have eleven quarters? That's nearly three cities-worth of them.

I could have sworn that when I read about my council tax reduction it said 20%. But they knocked a quarter off. Seems like the council has a thing for quarters:hihi: :hihi:

it's Netherthorpe. the dual carriageway splits the area in two, but it's definitely Netherthorpe at least as far across as Edward Street Flats (ESF).

I would say that's right.

Across the road is Broad Lane Court flats, and I don't think I've ever heard them as being known as in Netherthorpe.

Just as a matter of interest Netherthorpe was always a misnomer anyway. It arose in relation to Upperthorpe which in fact was a corruption of Hooperthorpe.

Shefielders always did have a contempt for their 'aitches' :)

As a young boy I went to both Netherthorpe and Upperthorpe schools, we were taught that the word "thorpe" is an old word for village/town, Upperthorpe being the village on the hill and Netherthorpe being the lower village.

which is odd considering the area we think of as Upperthorpe (the area, not the street) is lower down the hill than Netherthorpe! :lol:

which is odd considering the area we think of as Upperthorpe (the area, not the street) is lower down the hill than Netherthorpe! :lol:

Not sure where the heart of the villages were when they were named but if you think where the schools are then Upperthorpe is at the top of Daniel Hill street and Netherthorpe is a lot lower.