What's the name of this area of Sheffield?

Whilst driving down Upper Allen St earlier, I noticed almost every square inch of it, and surrounding roads are being built on. (all flats)

Meaning Upper Allen St / Edward St / down to Meadow St etc etc.

Perhaps Netherthorpe would be the answer, but it isn't really, with the dual carriageway separating it.

What will the developers name this area? Maybe with the imminent ring road completion, they will describe it as City Centre. But that doesn't seem right either.

Anyone know the name of the area?

I reckon they'll call it City Centre to charge more!

To give anyone a better idea of the area, I have done this poor attempt at showing you the area that I mean...

Saint Vincent's is the current name. The Crofts is an earlier name.

I reckon they'll call it City Centre to charge more!

I would have thought that.

Saint Vincent's is the current name. The Crofts is an earlier name.

Really?

I've never heard of either as an area name. The Crofts sounds like more like a modern saleable name.

On the map I've got, the word "Netherthorpe" runs through the middle of the dual carriageway, and applies to both sides of it.

I know the area behind the cathedral and down the hill used to be called The Crofts when it was full of slum housing - and it wasn't the bucolic des-res it sounds like! That area used to be full of springs. These are referred to in quite a few street names. The hill was so steep that sewage from latrines soaked through the wall of the blocks below. One would hope the building standards have increased in the intervening years, but from what I've heard the new yuppie hutches aren't much better.

Edit - link.

Search under key word 'Crofts' and there you are.

Really?

I've never heard of either as an area name. The Crofts sounds like more like a modern saleable name.

St Vincent's is the name of the Catholic Church on Solly Street. There's also a church social club with I think, a boxing gym upstairs.

it's Netherthorpe. the dual carriageway splits the area in two, but it's definitely Netherthorpe at least as far across as Edward Street Flats (ESF).

The roads that the four high-rise were named-for (Cornhill, Adamfield, Robertshaw, Brightmore etc) ran through where the highrise are, across where the dual carriageway is now, and finished pretty much opposite ESF.

My grandparents married at St Steven's, on Fawcett St, Netherthorpe, and held their wedding reception at the Albion, opposite ESF (which is now flats I believe) al in Netherthorpe. They lived in a flat above the restaurant at the junction of Eldon St and Broomhall St, when first married, then moved to a back-to-back property in Fawcett St.

St Vincents is (well, was!) more over toward West-bar.

I think 'Red Light' area may be appropriate!

I think you will find that it's called Netherthorpe. Live there for most (so far) of my life from 7 - 40.

Lived on Upper Allen Street for 15 years on the old maisonettes and it was definately Netherthorpe then.

Netherthorpe went all the way across to St Stephens Walk (where I lived as a child), up as far as the University, Winter Street, and down to roughly Meadow Street. I believe the Ponderosa and the tip separated it from Crookesmoor and Upperthorpe.

HTH

*Smiles*

Angi

Most of those flats seem to be being built by some firm called Okon, who have big signs saying 'Land Aquired by Okon Construction' all over the place. Personally I'd be very worried buying a flat constructed by someone who couldn't spell 'acquired'.