Lacarno/City Hall 50/60s

I talked to vhopkinson a few days ago, another name from the past, I'm pleased to say she is well, she and oldlad were great friends.

hazel

I talked to vhopkinson a few days ago, another name from the past, I'm pleased to say she is well, she and oldlad were great friends.

hazel

Hazel I had an E mail from oldlad about one week before he passed away, so sad, we use to exchange arthritis remedies and have a good laught at some of the post,s on the forum that could only be said in E Mails :hihi:

hi Poppins

He was such a nice person, just to call him nice seems inadequate but he and viking, Kirky and don kiddick were great together. Viking knew he hadn't long to live and don kiddick was a nurse and oldlad was a samaritan-- where that leaves Kirky I'm not sure. I used to enjoy Kirky's war with the establishment ie Joe

It was such a shock when I read of his death it seemed as if a light had gone out,

hazel

hi Poppins

He was such a nice person, just to call him nice seems inadequate but he and viking, Kirky and don kiddick were great together. Viking knew he hadn't long to live and don kiddick was a nurse and oldlad was a samaritan-- where that leaves Kirky I'm not sure. I used to enjoy Kirky's war with the establishment ie Joe

It was such a shock when I read of his death it seemed as if a light had gone out,

hazel

Yes Kirky was a funny one, always a laugh with him, maybe he's calmed down a bit being a Grandad.:)

Sad to hear of the passing of these posters - unfortunately that's the downside of this memory thread. Those with memories going back to the fifties will most likely be in their 70s now - I shall be 71 this year, where did all the years go???? But would not swap my memories for youth. I feel sorry for those who did not experience the fifties first hand, the sixties were pretty good too, but I had moved to London then and a whole new way of life began! I hot footed it back to Sheffield regularly on a Friday afternoon and took the milk train back on Monday morning. Luckily, I worked in shifts and every other weekend I'd finish work at 3 or 4pm and not start again until 3 or 4pm the following Monday. I'd meet up with my best friend Lorna Wells, who I'd worked with at The Grand Hotel. She'd meet me off the bus in Pond Street Friday evening, she liived in Rotherham, and we'd go to the Locarno. Saturday, we'd meet up to go the City Hall, long lie in on Sunday, a proper Sunday lunch, would probably go to the evening service at St Mary's church, Ecclesfield (as I'd been a regular, singing in the choir, as a teenager) and hope to bump into some of me old mates. Mum & Dad saw very little of me, then off to get the train back to London for work on Monday. Sadly, Lorna died of cancer at the all too early age of 55. :-(

I lived a mad cap existence then, and just thinking about it makes me tired! Takes me all my time to get off the settee nowadays, and especially today - we have a white over! Hope you are all keeping warm as I expect it is much worse oop North! ;-)

Edited by Freda

Hi Freda. I'll be 70 this year so, like you, I remember the 50's and 60's well. Nice to look back on and it would be ok to be 25 again but we must maike the most of what we have left. As Peter Stringfellow once said 'I'm not stopping work till I'm 95'. So we still have some way to go.

Me too Freda & Mike , I'll be 71 this year and still working, part time thought at an easy job with good hours, yes those dances were good times, couldn't wait for Frday nights to come around. :)

There were a lot of info in the thread called 'memories of the past

I wonder if it's still around in archives.

hazél

It seems as though I've put Memories of the past back on the forum

hazel

I met my wife to be at the Lacarno in 1965 her name LYNN LEVICK

Met my wife at the Locarno in 1965, still together 47 years later, happy as ever. Eric Baxter was the orchestra, with Dudley Conn Trio on when Eric and his band took a break. The female singer in Eric's band was gorgous, a good singer also, can't rember her name. Had great times there with lots of nice memories.

Edited by Derek Clayton
Made an error

HI EVERYBODY,i started my lacarno days in 1965.i remember the allnighters being the best nights,when jiving from the teddy boys turned into bopping.i remember one of my mates winning yorkshire bopping contest at the lacarno.we wore our smart suits from TED WILLIAMS or ISADORE NEWMANS,STIFF STARCHED COLLARS,stud mark in the neck the next morning,oh i,m there now.anyone out there know of a PAT GRAINGER(nee)