Lacarno/City Hall 50/60s

Re Texas' last post - my memories of the Locarno were in the days of the Eric Baxter Band around 1963 ther were some real characters in that band too -Phil Gaunt, Brian Suthill, Tommy Grombeck, Haydn Cook Brian Pendleton (now of Syd Lawrence fame), Tony Bagwell, Alan Whitehead, Barry Sutcliffe, etc.

drainpipe, I think that the Baxter band was the one with the Hawiian shirts. I can't remember Brian Pendleton being in there though. Can you remember if Eric Baxter played alto? I should've replied to your post ages ago but for some reason the name Eric Baxter didn't register at the time.

Loved reading this thread, it brought back such happy memories.

My abiding memory of the Lacarno was dancing to Gerry & The Pacemakers 'You'll never walk alone and Frank Sinatra's 'Strangers in the night'.

I used to love to 'bop' and yet it's those two slow numbers I remember most.

The dash down to Pond Street bus station to catch the last bus home to Hackenthorpe is also an abiding memory. It was a long walk home if I missed it.

Never gave a thought to being attacked in those days.

What a shame you couldn't say the same today.

I now live in a fairly safe (small compared to Sheffield) Essex town. Yet even here I would think twice before walking the one & half mile home late at night.

Not that I'd be out that late on my own now. OAP and all that. :P:D

As far as I recall, there was dance circuit in Sheffield in the early 1960's on Saturday nights . When you were 16 or 17 you went to the dance at the City Hall ( which was the best dance floor in Sheffield ) and then graduated to the Locarno when you were 18.

I remember being a bit overawed sometimes by the girls at the Locarno who would stand in a large circle round the room waiting to be asked to dance. A mate told me that if a girl turns you down say " What do you want for 5 Bob, Elvis?"

All you had to learn was the waltz and quickstep and you could then dance to virtually anything.

The bands and singers were great and I still have wonderful memories of all the songs - Moon River etc.

I think the Locarno dances finished at 12 in those days and we all rushed up the moor to get the last bus home which was at 12.30.

I also remember getting tickets for the Boxing Day night dance - you had to buy them ages before to get one. I think they went on until around 1 am unless Boxing Day was a Sunday in which case they had to finish earlier.

Anyone else with similar memories?

John

Finished up at the Locarno a few times in the early 60's. Can't remember if it closed at 11 or 12. The last bus to Fulwood would have dictated when I left. I was away from Sheffield 1965-1969 and when I went to the Locarno again it had changed into Tiffany's - I think.

As far as I recall, there was dance circuit in Sheffield in the early 1960's on Saturday nights . When you were 16 or 17 you went to the dance at the City Hall ( which was the best dance floor in Sheffield ) and then graduated to the Locarno when you were 18.

Oh what happy times.

I used to go to the Locarno on Thursdays before I was 18. I don't remember alcohol being on sale there either.

Then again, I don't drink, never could stand the taste. :gag:

I think the Locarno dances finished at 12 in those days and we all rushed up the moor to get the last bus home which was at 12.30.

I'm sure my last bus used to leave Pond Street at 11.15/30pm too.

Still, I am 64 this year, so maybe the old memory cells aren't what they were. :huh:

Oh hang on though, it's things that happened two minutes ago I seem to forget these days, rather than years ago.:roll:

Oh what happy times.

I used to go to the Locarno on Thursdays before I was 18. I don't remember alcohol being on sale there either.

Then again, I don't drink, never could stand the taste. :gag:

I'm sure my last bus used to leave Pond Street at 11.15/30pm too.

Still, I am 64 this year, so maybe the old memory cells aren't what they were. :huh:

Oh hang on though, it's things that happened two minutes ago I seem to forget these days, rather than years ago.:roll:

Yes my bus was 11.15 but I think there were the occasional night buses that went the long way round.....remember the long whistle that blew and all the buses revving up and shooting out of Pond Street.

If you were still dashing down and you heard that whistle go...remember the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.....arghhhh:( trouble in store when you got home. (again)

Oh well, we survived it didn't we:hihi:

Yes my bus was 11.15 but I think there were the occasional night buses that went the long way round.....remember the long whistle that blew and all the buses revving up and shooting out of Pond Street.

If you were still dashing down and you heard that whistle go...remember the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.....arghhhh:( trouble in store when you got home. (again)

Oh well, we survived it didn't we:hihi:

Oh yes, you've jogged my memory, I'd totally forgotten about the whistle. I remember now though.

Didn't you feel 'left out' with all the kissing couples standing there, if the bus wasn't in?

The boys took off like Olympic sprinters after the whistle, hoping to just make it to their last bus.

Edited by evensus

Can't believe I spelt 'OLYMPIC' as 'OLIMPIC' :blush::rolleyes:

Only just re-read my post and duly amended.

drainpipe, I think that the Baxter band was the one with the Hawiian shirts. I can't remember Brian Pendleton being in there though. Can you remember if Eric Baxter played alto? I should've replied to your post ages ago but for some reason the name Eric Baxter didn't register at the time.

Eric Baxter played trombone ,I was trainee manager at the Locarno the period Eric was there. He was the big Band Leader and Dudley Conn was the Trio.

Any of you ever go the Greystones in the 50's They had a red hot little dixieland group. The MC was Charlie Parkin and he always used to wear a rose on his collar and wore 'tail's. If you danced too close (heaven forbid) he came up and made you move aprt a bit. When we couldn't get into the City Hall, we sometimes went to the Cutlers. I remember a band there 'Walter Chappele' Those were really great times then - especially the Greystones. That's where I learned to Bop. Like Applegrim says, there was hardly ever any trouble in those days. A bit of pushing and shoving and posturing was about as far as it ever got. Anybody hot under the collar was quietly cooled down by his friends.

Remember the yellow socks craze the lads had in the 50's and the striped knitted ties - not forgetting the spearpointed collars on the shirts

Girls use to dance with each other going around the edge of the dances floor to see what boys were there :love: I was mad about a boy called Gus he was always with a girl, later on I found out it was his sister :)