Lacarno/City Hall 50/60s

Yes all you say is true, they were great times, Thursday night for bopping at the Locarno, Friday was at the Locarno as well, but we pretended to be older and more grown up, if I remember right you had to be 21, then Saturday night was at the City hall, do you remember queing for tickets with your rollers in, and a scarf tied round the back like Bridgette Bardott, then Sunday back to the Locarno again for some more bopping, certainly didn't need Gyms in those days, I never remember any trouble back then we'd walk up the Moor and meet the others coming home from the City hall, but never any bother.

Guest poppins
Originally posted by Applegrim

Yes all you say is true, they were great times, Thursday night for bopping at the Locarno, Friday was at the Locarno as well, but we pretended to be older and more grown up, if I remember right you had to be 21, then Saturday night was at the City hall, do you remember queing for tickets with your rollers in, and a scarf tied round the back like Bridgette Bardott, then Sunday back to the Locarno again for some more bopping, certainly didn't need Gyms in those days, I never remember any trouble back then we'd walk up the Moor and meet the others coming home from the City hall, but never any bother.

And then walk all the way home after missing the last bus, if it was snowing we would go in our boots, but take our shoesto change into in case someone wanted to take us home, wouldn't be see dead in boots comming out with someone no matter what the weather was like outside.

And my flat chested sister would stuff nylons down her bra, no wonder i never had any hose to wear on saturday night.s

remember going to town on a saturday afternoon with your hair in big rollers, ready to go out saturday night,what a statement walking around woolies, it meant if you were in rollers you were out that night, if not you were staying in.

do you remember the duster coats, mine was 3/4 lengh pale blue with fur cuffs oh i thought i was the bees knees in that with white stilletoes,and a bouffont hair.

Guest poppins
Originally posted by roughy101

remember going to town on a saturday afternoon with your hair in big rollers, ready to go out saturday night,what a statement walking around woolies, it meant if you were in rollers you were out that night, if not you were staying in.

do you remember the duster coats, mine was 3/4 lengh pale blue with fur cuffs oh i thought i was the bees knees in that with white stilletoes,and a bouffont hair.

Wouldn't been seen dead in rollers, my duster coat was black, shoes from Saxones, white with bows on, i think you could buy the bows and change them to other shoes, although the heels of my shoes would always go UNDER as we use to say, too much walking home after the dance, and usually on my own as my sister always go the date, must have been the LOVELY figure she had with my nylons !

I had a royal blue duster coat' stood the collar up pushed the sleeves up and wore it over a sheath dress, complete with stilletoes and long earings

Do you remember the long umbrellas I had an asortment of different covers to match the outfits.

Thought I was the bees knees.

Remember the shoes from Saxone. 49/11 nearly £2 -50.

Hazel

Must have been too young to go to the Lacarno on Saturday Night.But there was one on Saturday morning for kids I was about 15yrs .Ithink it was also called the Mecca.

Originally posted by roughy101

Hello Poppins

Funny that you should post about the Locarno. I made a rare visit to Sheffield recently and was appalled by the appearance of the building, all-over matt black and looking filthy and possibly derelict. I'm about the same era as you and my first recollection of the place was as Marks & Spencers just after WW2. It was a cinema before the war. When it was the Locarno, we lads would be on the opposite side from the girls, plucking up courage (usually Dutch) to ask for a dance. I think the resident band was the Dudley Conn Trio or similar.

You did right to emigrate. My daughter lives in MA and we love coming out to New England for visits.

i used to go to the lacarno sat mornins got chucked out once cause the lads i was with was causin bother cant even remember who they were now lol.loved it in there they used to play all the tamla music then .now it looks a mess

I remember the Locarno opening, but I liked the City Hall better. During the interval we'd go down to the Black Swan for a couple of jars, then get back in time for a last dance or two and pick up a date. They didn't like you bopping at the city so we bopped more just to be awkward. Sunday nights we went to the Palais in Nottingham on a charter bus. cos they allowed Sunday dancing in that sinful lovely town!

In the early sixties, my friends and I went dancing at the Lacarno every Saturday morning. We would have been about 12-13yrs old. We loved it. We often went in black polo neck jumpers grey skirts and black stockings and thought we looked great.

In the early sixties, the places for me (with the lads) were the Locarno on Wednesday nights and Nether Edge Hall on Saturday nights. I met my wife at the Locarno and "we,ve bin togevver nar for forty years...."

HI,Oldrowley I think it was a British home stores before it became lacarno. but Spent some happy hours in that place.