Lacarno/City Hall 50/60s

Hi Jossman,

We were regulars at the locarno 1956-1960 membership no.4 when the Sunday bopping started before that bopping was at Fred Holmes, we all had our special partner we homed into as we could do all the moves with them. Ballroom dances my brother would seak me out choose who he was with we had learned these at Days in Pitsmoor. We loved to dance - Locarno or the City Hall. Often I had a lift from Owlerton on the back of a motorbike after carefully getting ready only to arrive wind swept, no crash helmets then. A miss spent youth - I don't think so

? I still love to dance !

I remember Johnny Tempest very well. He used to frequent the Sidewalk along with Dave Berry! Those were the days!! Met a friend Saturday lunchtime in the Stone House, coffee in the Sidewalk, afternoon tea in Cockaynes, then home to get ready for the best night of the week.....Saturday!!!!

Some Saturday night were spent at the Nether edge dance hall, use to get a pass out to go to the pub. I was a member of the jazz club there saw many of the great jazz men of the day. Happy days!

I remember those days in Sheffield at the Locarno and Cutlers Hall. Does anyone remember the "dancing school" by the Peace Gardens where we all used to try to learn how to dance. This was in 1959 and the most popular hit then was The Platters singing Smoke gets in your eyes.

I met my first wife, Irene Lilian Goddard, there but unfortunately we parted in 1964.

Sad but life goes on. I would be interested to hear where she is now.

Brian

rEMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES AT LACARNO AND CITY HALL DANCES, THINK IT WAS HALF A CROWN TO GET IN, WE WOULD STAND IN LINE FOR AGES TO GET IN, MY SISTER AND I WOULD CHANGE FROCKS HALF WAY THROUGH THE DANCE IN THE LAV TO SEE IF ANYONE NOTICED, NO ONE EVER DID ? EVEN WHEN WE CAME BACK AND DANCED WITH THE SAME BOYS, ALWAYS HAD A GOOD LAUGH IN THE DRESSING ROOMS WITH THE OTHER GIRLS FIGHTING FOR A MIRROR, GREAT BANDS, OUR FEET WOULD BE KILLING US BY THE END OF THE NIGHT, THE HAD TO RUN DOWN TOWN IN THOSE SPIKE , SPENT IT IN THE BARHEELS TO CATCH THE LAST BUS, NO MONEY LEFT FOR A TAXI, SPENT IT ALL IN THE BAR.

In 1969 we went to a jimi hendrix requium night there and i made the big mistake of taking off my jacket, a bouncer the size of a block of flats was on my back almost instantly jacket back on or out, never went back inside that place again it was all plastic palm trees and crap middle of the road music.

I remember those days in Sheffield at the Locarno and Cutlers Hall. Does anyone remember the "dancing school" by the Peace Gardens where we all used to try to learn how to dance. This was in 1959 and the most popular hit then was The Platters singing Smoke gets in your eyes.

I met my first wife, Irene Lilian Goddard, there but unfortunately we parted in 1964.

Sad but life goes on. I would be interested to hear where she is now.

Brian

Alfred Golds do you mean? Many a Friday night enjoyed there I can tell you.:hihi:

Hi Joan

Thanks for that, Alfred Gould's was the place. As I recall, it was just a large room and a record player. Very ordinary but sweet memories for me!

I see that you live by the pier in Bournemouth, it must be a nice place for retirement.

Brian