Banners Department store - looking for history and memories

Only if there isnt much going off in Leeds!:hihi:

:wink: only if someone hasn't broken a nail in the Headingley area. :wink: that will surely bump anything sheffield related out of the bulletin:wink:

i can see the bulletin, now.(tongue in cheek mode ON)

"in l**ds market, a fruit and veg stall was offering pears at 45p/lb... A bus driver let his passengers on in the Boar Lane area, and in other news, three primary schools were arsoned in Sheffield, with the loss of all pupils and teachers." :wink:

I popped into Banners last week. The antiques centre that used to have the whole second floor now has one room on the ground floor and the cafe has most of the rest, with a travel agency off to one side.

In the cafe there is a big picture of the last day that the shop was open, with all the sale signs around and people grabbing bargains.

Hi Hennypenny

Thankyou for your reply,I gather the upper floors are now closed.Be great to go up an down in the lift again..

Thankyou

Andy m

Andy

There's some pictures of Banners in Jack Wrigley's last but one book. One of the outside and one inside. I saw Jack last night but forgot to ask him if he had any more. Doh!

I've just remembered summat else though - Banners was the first shop where I ever saw CCTV cameras! They were these black cylindrical things hanging from the ceiling, that followed your every move. Scared me witless, don't know why cos I never nicked owt.

The lifts were still there a few months back when I went in, or at least one of them, presumably to take you to the antiques shop. I was too scared to use it though, just as I was 30 years ago. Give me them escalators any day.

i can remember going to banners banners with my mumn when i was little they did have money shoots what i rember about it was the lift it was just like an metal cage. you could see the people in it as it moved on to the next floor.and the escaltor was made of wood.the had their own money as well .the were plastic discs called banner checks which you could spend around thestore:love:

I read somewhere that banners had the first escalator outside of london.

I remember Banners as it was one of the few stores to accept cheques (not the current sort) but the one's you bought for a shilling a week from the man from the Pru.I recall passing my 11+ and having to travel with my mum from Heeley to Banners ( a long way on the tram) to buy my new school uniform.sadly my mum never had enough cash to buy herself a hair ribbon!

I worked there around '69 in the supermarket downstairs. It had no connection with the Banners business, Jacksons rented the basement. Banners management brought Jacksons in to try and attract people back to the store. It was owned by Jacksons Bakery (who I think are now owned by Sainsburys?) though they used the 'Grandways' name. In those days most of the Grandways stores were in west yorkshire. The manager when I started there was a guy called ''Nobby'' Clark (from Handsworth I think) brilliant bloke. Any old employees out there??

I worked at Banners in 1960.....but it WAS John Banners then........I got married, went away and next time I looked it was Hitchins..........

Banners never changed to Hitchens. Hitchens was a little further along towards town and used to be Littlewoods.

Banners never changed to Hitchens. Hitchens was a little further along towards town and used to be Littlewoods.

Oh right, crikey! I must have been away longer than I thought:) thanks for that.:thumbsup:

i worked at banners in 65 till 67 on footwear miss scaife was 1st sales nellie and jenny in kids annie fletcher mrs smith and christine carr in mens and a load of partimers agnes ada jean mrs kenny and many more my name then was pat halliday bye