Immigration megathread part 3

Would you immigrate to England if you lived in War torn Country etc.  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you immigrate to England if you lived in War torn Country etc.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Funny how other countries don't seem to have as much xenophobia about immigration. Spain, Luxembourg, Canada - all have much higher immigration levels than the UK - and a much higher %age of the workforce are immigrants. They don't seem to have the same kinds of racial tensions.

Interesting also how few people mention the 800,000-1,000,000 strong emigrated population of the UK in Spain. One wonders: If you dislike immigration why not stop emigration too, as one country's emigrant is another's immigrant and you don't like immigration, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration

But isnt spain a larger country than Britain, with a smaller population than Britain?

But isnt spain a larger country than Britain, with a smaller population than Britain?

Yes, and Canada has a larger surface area than Britain too, but Luxembourg doesn't.

Yes, and Canada has a larger surface area than Britain too, but Luxembourg doesn't.

Interestingly it shows that as of 2000, there were 162,000 immigrants in Luxembourg, at a rate of 10,000 a year, whereas we have more than that a month.

Interestingly it shows that as of 2000, there were 162,000 immigrants in Luxembourg, at a rate of 10,000 a year, whereas we have more than that a month.

True, but immigrant workers in Luxembourg account for 45% of the total working population: Much, much higher than in the UK.

True, but immigrant workers in Luxembourg account for 45% of the total working population: Much, much lower than in the UK.

I take it you meant higher?

Well said Gimble.

My father had great admiration for Enoch Powell, he was a 'giant' among his contemporaries, even the likes of Tony Benn afforded him the greatest respect.

I thought his objection was to the introduction by the Labour Government of anti-discrimination legislation which would prohibit discrimination /on the grounds of race/ in certain areas of British life, particularly housing, rather than to immigration in general?

wake up, sleephead. Anyone familiar with Powell's speeches on this subject will know that his central concern was about mass immigration and its consequences. His objection certainly was to immigration on a scale unprecedented in modern British history.

wake up, sleephead. Anyone familiar with Powell's speeches on this subject will know that his central concern was about mass immigration and its consequences. His objection certainly was to immigration on a scale unprecedented in modern British history.

Take off your Burberry, my Lord - are you saying he didn't object to the introduction of anti-discrimination legislation?

Take off your Burberry, my Lord - are you saying he didn't object to the introduction of anti-discrimination legislation?

Powell was in fact strongly opposed to discrimination on grounds of ethnicity. As he said on more than one occasion, 'I have and always will set my face like flint against making any difference between one citizen of this country and another on grounds of his origins.' He opposed the 1968 Race Relations legislation because of some specific clauses in it, which in his view would have the effect of granting certain ethnic minority groups a distinct legal status, whereas he favoured one law for all. What he objected to specifically was the granting of 'communal rights' to these groups (he was one of the first to spot the malign appearance of 'multiculturalism' as an aspect of public policy. As for being a 'racist', he again said on more than one occasion that it wouldn't bother him if the ethnic minorities became eventually absorbed into the general population through inter-marriage. His prediction was though that, far from this happening, we would be far more likely to see the emergence of large concentrations of specific ethnic groups in specific areas - and how right he was on this, as the head of the CRE's recent statement about us 'sleepwalking to segregation' indicates.

the head of the CRE's recent statement about us 'sleepwalking to segregation'

Harsh to say, but it's very true - I went in a takeaway restaurant in Manchester recently where the people serving did not speak English, I was the only white person in there (of around 25), there were Islamic symbols all over the walls, two child beggars asked me for money and someone tried to sell me pirate DVDs (not sure this last is really relevant, but there you go). Good food, and almost exactly what I would have expected had I been walking through a doorway in the middle east.

I like different cultures and it's interesting to feel like you've been transported to another country just by going to the shop 50 yards further down the road, but it's also a little shocking that there is such microheterogeneity within a single city or area. Ethnic intermingling is surely preferable to ethnic segregation - it does seem slightly odd to move to another country and bring your culture, language, food and friends with you then pretend you're still at home.

...as the head of the CRE's recent statement about us 'sleepwalking to segregation' indicates.

Has 'the head of the CRE' a devout Christian Evangelist(who is, for example, known to have jumped onto the Muslim bashing bandwagon because of certain agendas like our own minister for social cohesion and her cohorts) lived in the Deep South in America? Or in South Africa?

Indeed, is it "diversity within unity" that you are referring to here? (CRE reference).

In response to your reply regarding Enoch Powell ... why didn’t he seem to be opposed to mass migration when we whites flooded/swamped India?

Powell was just another hot-head preacher, whose apocalyptic speeches and moral panics were meant to stir the British people into seeing the River Thames run red. His attempts to convince the the theological world that Christ was not crucified but stoned to death was yet another attempt to create attention. As I said, no different from Blair and Blunkette, (please refer to my earlier post).

Harsh to say, but it's very true - I went in a takeaway restaurant in Manchester recently where the people serving did not speak English, I was the only white person in there (of around 25), there were Islamic symbols all over the walls, two child beggars asked me for money and someone tried to sell me pirate DVDs (not sure this last is really relevant, but there you go). Good food, and almost exactly what I would have expected had I been walking through a doorway in the middle east.

I like different cultures and it's interesting to feel like you've been transported to another country just by going to the shop 50 yards further down the road, but it's also a little shocking that there is such microheterogeneity within a single city or area. Ethnic intermingling is surely preferable to ethnic segregation - it does seem slightly odd to move to another country and bring your culture, language, food and friends with you then pretend you're still at home.

Just remember to pay for your property a fair price.</Polaris World>