Cat owners - time for you to take responsibility

No, I wouldn't care less to be honest. I'd be more concerned about if the staff were washing their hands and the veg and not putting cooked meat next to raw.

Microscopic spores?! So the great Nobel prize-winning microbiologists Kim and Aggie came up with that? ;) maybe if you leave the littertray festering in sh*t for days on end and then let the cats walk all over your units then yes, it could at a push be dangerous but 99% of people clean the littertray daily or more and don't let cats onto work surfaces! There's also such a thing as natural immunity - I was told by a midwife that most gardeners and people who have owned a cats for any time will have natural immunity to toxoplasmosis anyway. I grew up on a farm and spent my childhood in all manner of turd and filth and was the most robust child going.

What do you do? Dip your veg in bleach before cooking it? Every single thing you eat is run through with all kinds of bacteria and bugs, you just use common sense and wash off the most dangerous ones. No wonder so many kids have allergies.

Oh dear-hit a raw nerve. As I said-that's your opinion, and I have mine. We don't have to get personal.

You have made an assumption that I am a scrupulous cleaner-no I am not. I just think it's smelly and dirty to have cat poo in your kitchen. My two friends who have cats agree, and both keep litter trays in their utility.

Can't remember the last time my husband and I or my kids were sick, and we have no allergies.

The reason I don't have cats, nor poo in my kitchen does not justify accusations of ill health, allergies, or bleaching my food.

I am entitled to my opinion and my view.

well i wished i had the luxury of a utility room, some people dont so have to make do with a corner of their kitchens, and if cleaned properly they dont smell :)

ps. I hope you have an anti-bacterial spray, other than Mr. Muscle!

No, I don't have an anti-bacterial spray, because they're unnecessary and marketed at those who are paranoid about dirt. I do, however, have two cats, several litter trays located around the house, and - gasp - a clean, crap-free kitchen.

Would it worry you if I told you that the amount of bacteria on your hands, even a few minutes after a wash, was astronomical? How about the bacteria, mites, fungal spores and related nasties that make up a good proportion of your pillows and mattress?

Unless a cat actually poos on the kitchen counter, and you neglect to remove the evidence, then in normal circumstances you have nothing to fear. Indeed, bacterial challenge to a child's immune system is healthy, and thought to be integral in minimising the development of allergies. In those terms, you could be doing more harm than good by using anti-bacterial sprays.

...I just think it's smelly and dirty to have cat poo in your kitchen. My two friends who have cats agree, and both keep litter trays in their utility. ...

Cat poo is removed from the trays virtually as soon as it leaves the cats' bottoms.

No, I don't have an anti-bacterial spray, because they're unnecessary and marketed at those who are paranoid about dirt. I do, however, have two cats, several litter trays located around the house, and - gasp - a clean, crap-free kitchen.

Would it worry you if I told you that the amount of bacteria on your hands, even a few minutes after a wash, was astronomical? How about the bacteria, mites, fungal spores and related nasties that make up a good proportion of your pillows and mattress?

Unless a cat actually poos on the kitchen counter, and you neglect to remove the evidence, then in normal circumstances you have nothing to fear. Indeed, bacterial challenge to a child's immune system is healthy, and thought to be integral in minimising the development of allergies. In those terms, you could be doing more harm than good by using anti-bacterial sprays.

Actually, enough handwashing removes 99% bacteria-hence the reason they advocate it in hospitals-along with antibacterial spray.

Completely agree with the comments about immunity, and 'some' dirt.Thats why my family is very healthy. That was not was I was referring to -it was a point about cat poo.

I am not paranoid about dirt,I have small children, and wouldn't personally like a litter tray in my kitchen.I use anti bacterial spray in the kitchen and the bathrooms, and my family is allergy free, and haven't been to the doctors for months and months.

As I keep having to say, but the claws keep coming out, it's a matter of personal opinion.

Pillows, mattresses, especially if the cat poos or wees on them:hihi:

Hand washing and anti-bacterial sprays are advocated and used in hospitals because there are patients in there who have compromised immune systems, and who might be more susceptible than otherwise healthy people to bacterial infection. The prevalence of MRSA and related hospital-associated infections is another reason.

For those who don't go from patient to patient, potentially spreading infection from one to another, hand-washing is usually a relatively infrequent occurrence (after using the toilet, before meals etc). In between those times, and very quickly after washing, bacteria colonise the skin, as they do elsewhere.

I'm aware it's your personal opinion. I'm simply pointing out the fact that in normal circumstances a cat litter tray in the kitchen represents a minimal health risk.

Hand washing and anti-bacterial sprays are advocated and used in hospitals because there are patients in there who have compromised immune systems, and who might be more susceptible than otherwise healthy people to bacterial infection. The prevalence of MRSA and related hospital-associated infections is another reason.

For those who don't go from patient to patient, potentially spreading infection from one to another, hand-washing is usually a relatively infrequent occurrence (after using the toilet, before meals etc). In between those times, and very quickly after washing, bacteria colonise the skin, as they do elsewhere.

I'm aware it's your personal opinion. I'm simply pointing out the fact that in normal circumstances a cat litter tray in the kitchen represents a minimal health risk.

I am well aware of the above, I work in the place.Hand washing is still frequent even between patient contact, and not all areas have immunocompromised patients. Alcohol gel has to be applied before you enter the clinical area. Staff in non-clinical areas use it.

And I am simply pointing out I wouldn't like the idea of it. End of story me thinks, I am off out with the kids,to the woods to muck about in the mud, whilst avoiding dog and cat poo..............................

Oh dear-hit a raw nerve. As I said-that's your opinion, and I have mine. We don't have to get personal.

You have made an assumption that I am a scrupulous cleaner-no I am not. I just think it's smelly and dirty to have cat poo in your kitchen. My two friends who have cats agree, and both keep litter trays in their utility.

Can't remember the last time my husband and I or my kids were sick, and we have no allergies.

The reason I don't have cats, nor poo in my kitchen does not justify accusations of ill health, allergies, or bleaching my food.

I am entitled to my opinion and my view.

How many people in Sheffield have space for a utility room? Mind you, I suppose we could revert to letitng the cats cr@p all over the neighbourhood instead, if the microscopic spores are so dangerous. ;)

Seriously, I'm only mocking because the very idea of cat poo spores makes me laugh ;) In reality most cat owners are diligent about cleaning up turd because we don't much like the whiff of it either (though the wee smells 100 times worse), nor do cats, they're very clean animals and mine will not 'go' in a mucky tray.

How many people in Sheffield have space for a utility room? Mind you, I suppose we could revert to letitng the cats cr@p all over the neighbourhood instead, if the microscopic spores are so dangerous. ;)

Seriously, I'm only mocking because the very idea of cat poo spores makes me laugh ;) In reality most cat owners are diligent about cleaning up turd because we don't much like the whiff of it either (though the wee smells 100 times worse), nor do cats, they're very clean animals and mine will not 'go' in a mucky tray.

Lots of people have space for a utility,me, my parents in law, parents, and 6 of my friends. All of the new houses I have recently seen have utility rooms. Very handy they are too.

Think you'll find most of your last post had already been said, and answered to. Which brings me to the point I was at-which is that there's nothing more to be said at this point, and you've all got cats and litter trays, so it's futile to continue. Many thanks for opening my eyes that bit further.................

Roughly this time last year my cat turned into a serial killer, and killed four bird within a week. Problem solved, or so I thought with a new collar and bell from Wilko. This morning he came in with an almost dead rat ... you think you have problems!

Roughly this time last year my cat turned into a serial killer, and killed four bird within a week. Problem solved, or so I thought with a new collar and bell from Wilko. This morning he came in with an almost dead rat ... you think you have problems!

Ugh Ugh and Ugh:gag: , I have a phobia of rats. whilst we have a cat and lovely one she is too. I refuse to have a cat flap, so at least when she kills things(which she does often) she can't bring them inside to show me. Have to say the hubby is getting fed up with having to bag up these dead offerings in the garden tho:hihi:

Just as a footnote that, lets face it, had to be said; my girlfriend has a lovely pussy that never kills birds but is very demanding in other ways. I love how it purrs when I stroke it...:hihi:

LOL's.

<------& mine has a good grip.:hihi: