Cat owners - time for you to take responsibility

If I could teach my cat to use an air rifle to bring down more birds then I would.

Sadly though, cats are very independant and do what THEY want to do, So I have to use the rifle to kill the birds myself.

There is no law for Cats, they are classed as free-roaming animals.

And yes owners are not responsible for their actions. The thing that gets my goat is Dog owners who let their dogs run around off the lead - which is a crime. My neighbours cat was sat in her garden, minding its own business, when a loose dog decided it would make a good chewing toy. This was not a pretty sight to watch.

Caz

It isn't a crime just to be off the lead.

If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place the owner is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person, an aggravated offence.

I think you are both missing the point. An innocent animal has been killed on my back garden.

This is not a joke, and I'm sure the murdered bird didn't find the incident particually amusing.

This is murder, and an illegal offence I believe

Birds murder innocent insects and unsuspecting worms every day.

Write to your MP TODAY and demand an end to this pointless slaughter!

Excerpt from this site:http://www.alleycat.org/predation.html

“In England, at least, there is no evidence to suggest that the occasional high mortality of birds due to pet cats has had any damaging effect on even one species of bird, however distressing to birds, bird lovers and cat owners that predation may be….

and this

“Contrary to common belief, cats do not catch many birds, but mainly small mammals. Proportionately, town cats will catch more birds than their country cousins. What is often overlooked is that although cats are far more common in towns than in the country, so are birds!

Jayne

i have a pet eagle and i am totally p****d of with burying dead kittens he keeps bringing home.

take responsibility for your cats people

My moggie (as in my avatar) is not interested in killing birds etc, he's into keeping fit & is a veggie.:rolleyes:

any stray cats feeding on availlable food supplies in my garden will be shot and stuffed with a garlic and basil sauce with lashings of wild mushroom butter.... it tastes like chicken honest :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :gag:

There is no law for Cats, they are classed as free-roaming animals.

And yes owners are not responsible for their actions. The thing that gets my goat is Dog owners who let their dogs run around off the lead - which is a crime. My neighbours cat was sat in her garden, minding its own business, when a loose dog decided it would make a good chewing toy. This was not a pretty sight to watch.

Caz

There is no law regarding letting your dog run loose, I know this because I have complained about a dog on my road whose owners let it loose every day, it only becomes a crime when the dog has bitten someone.

Regarding the cat killing the bird, i always find an air rifle comes in handy at times like that, although my cat doesnt like pre-winged birds:hihi:

Not as concerned about the bird issue as I am about neighbours cats using my garden as a toilet. People always whinge about dog poo on the pavement (myself included) but cats poo is toxic and cats do it in the area where my kids play, and they walk it in the house. Let them poo in your own garden, or risk me throwing it back over the wall.

Just as bad as people with a litter tray in their kitchen:gag:

Not as concerned about the bird issue as I am about neighbours cats using my garden as a toilet. People always whinge about dog poo on the pavement (myself included) but cats poo is toxic and cats do it in the area where my kids play, and they walk it in the house. Let them poo in your own garden, or risk me throwing it back over the wall.

Just as bad as people with a litter tray in their kitchen:gag:

Errr, if owners don't have a litterbox in the kitchen then the cats will be crapping in gardens so which is it to be?

Anyway, my cats are indoors cats. I do it the American way - its not common over there to have roaming moggies due to predatory wildlife (Coyotes etc) and cats are actually fragile little things so mine stay indoors, spoiled and pampered and only get in the garden when I'm with them. Bonus - they also never get worms or fleas, never get bites apart from when they fight each other, and are nice and healthy. They also made short work of mice that got into my house and catch flies for me and so earn their keep. The local magpie likes sitting outside the window and cackling at 'em and going "Haha! You can't eat me!" ;)

Most birds out in the country tend to get killed by the pesticides which are used to grow all our fruit and veg and stop it being mis-shapen, not by cats. But I wonder why folk want to let a cat wander on busy city streets, it's not always kind.