Does anyone remember Bungay Street in the Park district?

And does anyone remember the name of the other doctor who lived on the other side of Norfolk Rd,on the corner of Talbot St We as kids used to call him the black doctor We did'nt know any better in those days

That was Dr. Pereira. My grandparents used to go to him. I think he may have been from Cuba or somewhere else in the Carribean.

hi alanp, im a kenny clewes, and i remember christine farquar used be a good friend of my aunt Maureen.

Im also cousins to betty josie and anne, are u of the pinders??

i remember chris, only a few month ago i was talkin to him, his dad was colin that ran the link

Hello Kenny, tried to mail you. alan p

my mum is margaret( farquhar,) christines sister. christine lives up southey.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 21:20 ----------

my mum knew your mum phylis from park hill flats. my mums family lived on granville lane.

And does anyone remember the name of the other doctor who lived on the other side of Norfolk Rd,on the corner of Talbot St We as kids used to call him the black doctor We did'nt know any better in those days

That would have been Dr. Pereira. My grandparents who lived on Talbot Place used to go to him. I think he may have been of Cuban origin (?)

hi my mums family lived on Granville lane the names I remember are my cousin mick Renshaw, tony murphy,george crapper, did he ever wash his ford capri when had the Scottish queen graham hadfield known as razzy, George Matthews Barbara millward who sadly passed away recently and her best friend ,Shirley. happy days the tanner hop at the community centre and getting thrown out of the red lion on duke st ,Thursday nights live music at blue ball on broad st

On 17/05/2007 at 15:46, hennypenny said:

My husband's dad was born on Bungay street in 1932. We looked through the electoral roll for 1934 and almost every house on the street was occupied by some sort of relative :)

His name was Jim Ford, I don't know if you knew him?

We have some photos at hubby's mums of the pub at the bottom of the road, the Granville Inn, but not of the road itself.

Hi I know this thread is from 2007 but I found it googling the Granville in  for my dad. I wonder if you still have those photos of the pub? Fingers crossed! Kerry

10 hours ago, kerry08 said:

Hi I know this thread is from 2007 but I found it googling the Granville in  for my dad. I wonder if you still have those photos of the pub? Fingers crossed! Kerry

There are pictures and a feature in last night's Sheffield Star, (23 March) in the Retro section.

On 14/09/2010 at 20:41, sheffieldvic said:

My dad owned the samuel plimsole from 1986 until the student games,i had many happy time at Hyde park

My brother inlaw opened the Samuel Plimsoll pub from new about 1970s 80s  Bill hatton and Lily 

On 18/05/2007 at 22:46, milted said:

I wish I had a pound for the number of times I have been up and down Bungay st on my way to town,and along Granville st I used to live at the top of Bungay st,just on Norfolk Rd no 5. now long since gone. That was 1934 Smashing area to live All nice friendly people South st, Granville lane I walked down Bungay a while ago now just for old times sake Wish I had'nt a bit too sad

Only just joined this site but am very interested to read the tales about Bungay Street. I lived with my parents at number 12 Norfolk Road when my father was ‘demobbed’ at the end of the war. I was about five. I attended Park school for a while before my parents moved me on to Manor Lane. I remember Bungay Street very well as my auntie Ginnie used to run the fish and chip shop on Granville Street. Anybody remember her? A very formidable lady but also very kind. I also remember sledging down Bungay Street probably in 1947 and running home with my hands so cold the when they started to warm up I got ‘hot aches’. I bet people remember them, very painful. I’ve not lived in Sheffield for many years but on a visit a few years ago I was waiting for a tram at the Midland station when I suddenly realised that where I was standing was right across from where auntie Ginnie’s shop had been. There was another shop a bit further along, a grocer’s and I think that was run by a Mrs Bannister. There was also Gunstans bakery.

Hi DirtyHerbert was your gran a Maggie Crapper nee Gregory born 1919 who married a George Crapper  does any of this sound familiar to you