Does anyone remember Bungay Street in the Park district?

The nice thing about Bungay St,is the bit of landscaping carried out. If you Stand on the intechange bus station,look over the raiway staion to where Granville St lay and you can see two rows of trees picking out where Bungay st used to be Nice touch ?? I too remember Doctor Wilson , All my family were under him I can also remember,when we used to live down South St that he used to call every Sat night and my mother used to pay him sixpence That was before National Health was "invented" And does anyone remember the name of the other doctor who lived on the other side of Norfolk Rd,on the corner of Talbot St We as kids used to call him the black doctor We did'nt know any better in those days

The Yorkshire Film Archive has some very good footage,

it includes a film of the Park area in the 50's,

and you even get a quick glimpse of Bungay Street.

A link .. Here

m&p

Me-and-Pippo - thanks for that excellent link. Wow that is the first time I have seen the old Park district for decades - especially Bungay Street (just over four minutes into the film). How great that a film was taken before the area was demolished. What poverty but what wonderful people. I have so many fond memories of the place.

My husband's dad was born on Bungay street in 1932. We looked through the electoral roll for 1934 and almost every house on the street was occupied by some sort of relative :)

His name was Jim Ford, I don't know if you knew him?

We have some photos at hubby's mums of the pub at the bottom of the road, the Granville Inn, but not of the road itself.

I worked with Jim back in 1974 at mosbrough for Shepherd Construction, not a bad guy, i also knew his uncle Lol and his dad who had a flat on Parkhill. My sister inlaw is Jimmy's cousin

My dad was born on Bungay street just before the war. Mick May his name does anone remember him ?

My great grandfather John Glossop lived at 65 Bungay Street in the 1870's and his wife's family lived on South Street nearby.

The film posted by Pippo was magic, I tremember a lot of the buildings from the 1950's when I use to go to my mates on Granville Lane.

Phew! what memories, the places looked terrible but the people who lived there were great.

Thanks Pippo

PopT

my mum remembers your family glynn , did you have a uncle terry? my mums family was farquhar

Hello lagerlil, I was born on South Street in 1950, I remember the Farquars I went to school with Des. I also remember the Mays,Skinners,Connors,Jeffcocks,Murphys, Mycocks, Chris Hardy from the Sun Inn, he married my cousin.

rita and peter mycock, charlie skinner, my mum loves these memories,

The ones I knew was Pete Skinner, Pete Connors, Carol & Cynthia Mycock ( twins) Tony Murphy, John & Billy Jeffcock. Cannot remember when I last saw your Des.

Edited by alan p

where did the twins live? des lives at hackenthorpe now, did you know robert keeney? the rowlands, haythorns , and leonard johnson. barry and gloria charlesworth.

lagerlil, The twins lived on Granville St, I also remember the Haythornes the last time I saw Jeff Haythorne was in the Link on Parkhill back in the early 80's.I also remember the names of the others but can't put a face to them. We used to have a newsagents on South Street up until my father left, I was around 18months old then.