Sign in to follow this  

Orange waters mosbro

Guest bostonaire

does anyone here remember the mucky river than ran thru mosborough? the water was orange with rust .we were fascinated as kids and convinced it had gold running thru it ....and often paid a visit to picnic by the "orange waters" bless us .. :o)

hiya nitelife,

The orange river, was only the Ocher dyke,all that caused it was the water being pumped out of Dent Main Colliery, (where the garden centre is now on Birley Moor Rd) and it was full of iron deposits. The Dent Main was one of the last in the country to use pit ponies, or so I am told.

Guest bostonaire

youve shattered my dreams .i thought id struck gold as a girl!!! lol ...

It sounds like you're describing what we used to call "okky watter" back in the day, (Ochre water?). The only reason I remember this is because I was on a nature ramble through Rivelin with my sister last week. As we passed a stagnant, orange pool she pointed at it and shouted "Okky watter!" and we both fell about laughing. I don't know why really , maybe 'cos I've not heard the term for ages and it was good to hear big sis get her Sheffield dialect back after living in London for 30 years.