Acting - Where in Sheffield can I get into it?

Hi,

i was just wondering if anybody knew of any where in sheffield where i could get into acting. A drama school or theatre etc??

Thanks,

Jamie

That would all depend.

If the 20 in your name indicates your age then you could apply to Norton college to do drama on a course.

There are many amatuer dramatic groups in Sheffield worth approaching, like Splinters who have a great rep, the Denys Edwards Players who look for young blood, the 53 Theatre Co, Sheffield Amatuer dramatic soc etc etc.

If want a regular group rather than one who just meets for productions - a way of learning skills... well, I don't know of any for your age although I know someone who teaches and if you can find a group of people to sign up and I could find you a group leader.

If you are a Uni student there is the S.U.T.Co.

PM me if you want more graphic info.

however if the 20 in your name refers to your weight in stones then . . . . .

If you are wanting to be a professional actor, there isn't much in Sheffield for you. There is a course at Norton, but that isn't really up to a professional standard like a drama school or a uni course (but could be a good starting point).

I'd advise getting GCSE's and A-levels (if you haven't already)then going to a drama school or a university with a good drama school.

If you are wanting to stay close to home then Bretton Hall is a good place to go, it's link with Leeds uni and has a good reputation for turning out good northern actors. There are courses at Manchester, and Arden there is a good school, with links to the Exchange.

While you're thinking about all that, see as much theatre as you can, and try joining one of the better Sheffield amateur groups (there are alot of bad ones out there due to the fact that there are far too many, so choose wisely and you can learn alot).

Originally posted by Whelk

however if the 20 in your name refers to your weight in stones then . . . . .

... then you are more likely to get parts, as there are far too many good looking young actors out there and not enough parts.

you could try chesterfield colledge as my brother went there last year with william snape (the little lad from the full monty film) and they really enjoyed it

The Citizen's Advice Bureau in the Centrla Library has a list of AmDram companies and contacts. Which one you choose depends on what kind of play you want to act in. It might be worth going to the University Drama Studio on Glossop Road to see what is going on.

Diggin up an old thread, but I'm interested in doing some 'am dram' - anywhere I can find a list online of groups?

Diggin up an old thread, but I'm interested in doing some 'am dram' - anywhere I can find a list online of groups?

Try going to the Drama Studio near Hallamshire Hospital. It's a church.

Sheffield Hallam University is running a course in conjunction with the Shef College. Just look on the sites or call them.