Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi Jogi, you wrote:......."If you want to know more about the area in your mum's era, I've got several booklets composed by the residents of that time.The best authorative account is the book by Malcolm Mercer. Happy to supply details." Thank you, I'd be very happy to receive those details - perhaps I can obtain Malcolm Mercer's book when I visit the UK later this year?

Hi. The book details/histories are quite long, so rather than bore other forummers, Ill Private message you with my Email address . Bye for now

Hirst,s original shop was at the other side of Needhams chemist,the last time i was in that area it was a cobblers shop.The present shop was opened just prior to the war starting (1939).From what i remember of Hirst himself he was lame in one leg and had a chap named Cyril who more or less ran the shop for him.On a Friday evening he would go all round the estate collecting for the newspaper deliveries

I remember Needham's chemist very well (but slightly too young for Cyril). I used to go there to get my father's accumulator charged up for the wireless.

My brother Len (born 1923) has much better memories than me. Keep well.

i remember hirsts shop quite well from when i was a child.Cyril used to do the papers for the paper lads round the back of the shop in a small hut.Next to hirsts was needhams chemist then a cobblers .The buildings then went back a bit from the pavement and this was the loading bay for broughs the grocers.My eldest sister used to work at broughs when she first left school.Broughs has been used for several businesses through the years its now a cafe.Needhams and the cobblers have now been converted into flats but the shop which belonged to mr hirst still stands and is now a beer off

Sorry for this late response. Many thanks for your marvellous update. I left there in '55 to get married, so I'm grateful to know what's happened since then. Your memories as a child are ver similar to mine, but you have added some detail I didnt know of or forgotten. All the best and good health.

Edited by JOGI

43 Fitzhubert was the 2nd or 3rd house around the corner from windyhouse lane.My Dad was moved further down the Manor when they started to rebuild so I would not know any rent info sorry.My Aunty Beattie lived a few doors down from us she was married to a guy called Sanderson.

I was born @ 45 Fitzhubert Road in 1956 moved to Gleadless in 1960,My name is Sharon. I vaguely remember one of Siddals or Gerald Sanderson or both ! taking me fishing, and Beattie Sanderson was known to me as Aunty Beattie, Daughter Pauline used to baby sit me

anyone remember Tommy Duckenfield off woodthorpe close in the 40s

St Swithen Church does any remember Reverand Hone

Edited by Jonmat

did anyone know Tommy Duckenfield on woodthorpe close in the 40s - 50s.

anyone remember my nan, she lived on Edenhall rd from when the houses were built till she died in the 90's. Mrs connor? she had 5 sons and 1 daughter (my mum) the youngest son (laurence connor or Lotts ) was quite well known around the manor clubs, and he once shaved his head for charity (before it was regular thing) ??

Hi all, my Dad, Henry Ashmore, was born in 1931 and lived the Manor up to about 1956, when he married and moved to Dagnam Crescent on Arbourthorne. He was one of five kids and the family lived at 417 Queen Mary Road, his sisters Gert and Annis and brothers Bill and Oliver. He went to Prince Edwards School. He passed away last year (it was exactly a year on March 24th). Any posters on here know of him or the family and have any stories they'd like to share?

Edited by Invicta

did anyone know Tommy Duckenfield on woodthorpe close in the 40s

I remember the Duckenfields Tommy and his sister Olga I also remember you and your sister Sheila I had 3 brothers Cyril who was more your age Keith and Trevor We lived at 136 Queen Mary Road.Some other names Horace Green who was killed on a motorbike the Grimleys who lived next door to you.Audrey Taylor,Mavis and Norman King and lots and lots more

you have a good memory.i am shore i know you what is your name.

it was tragic about Horace Green he was in the raf.

Do you know what happened to the others. I did here Ron Grimely his in wiltshire. Roy.