Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Further to my previous Chrishall.

My mum Rose MARIE Antoinette Paramore was also born in 1947 and registered at number 78.

Her parents were married at St Swithuns.

Mum always told us about a strict convent school. Would anyone any ideas what RC school she may have gone to?

I think that School may have been St Theresas on Prince of Wales Road, I lived at number 123 Harborough Avenue and I remember the Argent family among others. I went to St Theresas but it wasnt a convent School she may have gone to Notre dame but you only went there if you passed your 11 plus I think. My Brother in Law Jim Dolby lived at No 92 but Im afraid all the houses have been demolished.

Edited by lazarus

I went to St theresa's in the 60s that was just an ordinary catholic school. I think she means Notra Dame Catholic High School, you went there if you passed your 11 plus. JP

we lived at 27 Stanground Road until I was one then we moved to

122 Stonecliffe Road on the Manor Park. JP :hihi:

I have just rang Manor Library and it is out of stock - they don't sell them anymore and as a last nail in the coffin, it is out of print.

I have put an advert on Ebay for them to email me if one becomes available. I am now going to try Amazon.

Hi there , sorry to interupt but i have looked on amazon and there is a used copy on there! i seached just for malcolm mercer, no title and it came up! by the way, does anyone remember my nan? lilly llewwlyn>? she married ronnie marshall and had kids called pat, hazel, mick and paul?

I've just found out a relative was born on Bassledene Rd (number eighteen) and I've seen reference in this thread to the same family name. It's a long shot because of the age but her name was Margaret Newton, born there in 1929. Anyone any long memories?

I lived on the manor estate from 1946 when i was 2year old untill 1963 when we moved to the little dale.I often look on this thread and remember the things you discus but never recognise any names.I lived at no 82 harborough ave,i went to standhouse sch,had a kite or two,played on the manor fields.lived opposite the barlows dentons cloughs.My mate through school was ron bennett off fretson rd next door to kieth lawrence on the crossways my name is arthur bramhall remember me?

I lived on the manor estate from 1946 when i was 2year old untill 1963 when we moved to the little dale.I often look on this thread and remember the things you discus but never recognise any names.I lived at no 82 harborough ave,i went to standhouse sch,had a kite or two,played on the manor fields.lived opposite the barlows dentons cloughs.My mate through school was ron bennett off fretson rd next door to kieth lawrence on the crossways my name is arthur bramhall remember me?

Hi

I was born at 63 Stonecliffe Rd in '47, I started work in the building trade when I was 15 and worked with a Ron Bennett from the Fretson Rd area I think, he was 2 or 3 years my senior and sounds like your mate, he was a tall gangly lad?

Hi yes that was him i believe he was a tyler,not seen him for 40 years or more I new one or two down your end peter lowe off the circle melvyn wright but i think he was a bit younger,brian noble,and a few more It gets a bit like time travel doesnt it regards

Hi yes that was him i believe he was a tyler,not seen him for 40 years or more I new one or two down your end peter lowe off the circle melvyn wright but i think he was a bit younger,brian noble,and a few more It gets a bit like time travel doesnt it regards

Yes I was an apprentice tiler same as him. I remember Melvyn Wright, he was a bit older than me, used to be a bit flash playing mabs, had a sister Jean and they lived next to the jennel. Pete Lowe had a sister, also Jean, lived next door to the McLennans, their son Georgie was a pal of my older brother Ivan Hall - born '39

Definitely like time travelling.

cant remember their sisters but their was carol wilkinson,i remember ,she had a younger sister and brother perhaps you remember them.Also dennis holland but i didnt know him that well he lived on stonecliffe.remember the tip on harborough,i first rode my motor bike on there.I remember them building the steel inn and the shops.And the manor park .

cant remember their sisters but their was carol wilkinson,i remember ,she had a younger sister and brother perhaps you remember them.Also dennis holland but i didnt know him that well he lived on stonecliffe.remember the tip on harborough,i first rode my motor bike on there.I remember them building the steel inn and the shops.And the manor park .

I recall the Wilkinsons top of Stonecliffe and all the Hollands as well, their mum used to call them for tea, Mo, Do, Mick, Den etc etc. everyone had a different call from their parents. Next door to us were the Barkers with Trevor, Keith and Patricia. On the circle from Harborough Ave it was Turner, Hudson, Smedley, MacLennan, Ford, Barnsley, Wright. The tip was our favourite place, remember stinking nannies? I recall us all being on top of the little cliff as they dug it back with the excavator to make room for the Steel Inn. Last house on Stonecliffe on the left before Manor Park was built was nicknamed Walsh's Farm? It's the other way round now with open ground on the Manor Estate side.

My father had an allotment down near kettle bridge (beind cravens).so we often walked on harborough to the fence at the end,down the jennels and across the fields where the parkway is now if you remember there were cows in the fields and loads of skylarks, bet you havnt heard one of them for a long time