Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Thanks for the PM and the post.

Will ask Gran to recall everyone she knew on the Manor, she knows Mavis (tatty dumps very well) My mum used to take Mavis's daughter to school way back in the late fifties. Its great to read this thread as I have so many fond memories of my early days on the Manor.. I even remember Hauges chippy, the ''VG'' shop at the side of the post office, the bookies (which was next to the chippy??) Freddy Gebards butchers .. Gran used to buy me a pie from there... And i'm only 33!

Grandad did suffer terribly at the hands of the Japanese and used to get quite upset of how they treated him but he lived to be 85 and was a happy man who loved his family and i still miss him.

All the best

Thanks for the PM and the post.

Will ask Gran to recall everyone she knew on the Manor, she knows Mavis (tatty dumps very well) My mum used to take Mavis's daughter to school way back in the late fifties. Its great to read this thread as I have so many fond memories of my early days on the Manor.. I even remember Hauges chippy, the ''VG'' shop at the side of the post office, the bookies (which was next to the chippy??) Freddy Gebards butchers .. Gran used to buy me a pie from there... And i'm only 33!

Grandad did suffer terribly at the hands of the Japanese and used to get quite upset of how they treated him but he lived to be 85 and was a happy man who loved his family and i still miss him.

All the best

My elder sister's 'Jean and Joan ' used to play with a girl named,' Mavis ', if I remember correctly.

So ,' Tatty Dumps ' are you still sweet sixteen still or what, Lass?

Not much to add, I'm afraid, as we lived just off Richmond Road.

However, I always remember from about 1945-1949 travelling on the 32 bus from the terminus at the junction of Hastilar Road and Richmond Road, through the Manor, on the way to town. I always used to dive upstairs and kneel on the front seat upstairs [ 4-8 years old ]. I used to love the twists and turns as the bus wended its way through the estate. [ Even remember the route, vividly ].

When the bus reached Fitzwalter Road [ ? ] between City Road and Granville Road, there used to be a bit of a dip in the road. Anyone remember that ?

One more thing :- my sister was about 10 years older than me and had a girl-friend about the same age who lived on the Manor, right near the top of Prince of Wales. They were of Irish origin, called 'Haverty '. The grandma was a bit of a character. My sister's friend was called ' Jean '. Anyone recall them from the '40's and '50's ?

My elder sister's 'Jean and Joan ' used to play with a girl named,' Mavis ', if I remember correctly.

So ,' Tatty Dumps ' are you still sweet sixteen still or what, Lass?

I celebrated my 16th birthday for the 58th time last Sunday, (work that out).

Unfortunately I cannot remember a Jean or Joan Smith. Did they play with me at Stand House School or just as muckers. I bet we finish up that it was you or one of your big sisters who kept shoving me in the pond!! UGH.. . nasty little things those tadpoles.

Hello Mr Smith - thanks for the post, Yes you are correct my Gran and Grandad lived at 133 Windy House Lane. It was Grandad who was taken as a prisioner of war and he did have to work on the railways. Gran and Grandad used to live with my Great Grandmother Emily who passed away in 1979 aged 89.

Just spoken to Gran .. she aks if your are Terry the youngest son of the Smith familiy as she remembers you well and sends her regards.

Your mother used to visit my other great grandmother in Woodhouse - perhaps this is the Woodhouse connection?

Regards

Good morning Mr Smith

If you knew Sally and Harold Ellis it seems to me that you know/or have connections with a lot of poeple I know. Could you be my long lost cousin from Australia - the one who found all that gold?

Not much to add, I'm afraid, as we lived just off Richmond Road.

However, I always remember from about 1945-1949 travelling on the 32 bus from the terminus at the junction of Hastilar Road and Richmond Road, through the Manor, on the way to town. I always used to dive upstairs and kneel on the front seat upstairs [ 4-8 years old ]. I used to love the twists and turns as the bus wended its way through the estate. [ Even remember the route, vividly ].

When the bus reached Fitzwalter Road [ ? ] between City Road and Granville Road, there used to be a bit of a dip in the road. Anyone remember that ?

One more thing :- my sister was about 10 years older than me and had a girl-friend about the same age who lived on the Manor, right near the top of Prince of Wales. They were of Irish origin, called 'Haverty '. The grandma was a bit of a character. My sister's friend was called ' Jean '. Anyone recall them from the '40's and '50's ?

I can remember the ' Little Dipper ' on Fitzwalter Road. I really looked forward to going down it. Usually I'd try to be allowed to go and sit on the front upstairs seat of the bus. A small thing that cost nothing but now are a great reminder of our younger days.

The children that lived at Richmond, were known to us, ' As them posh kids '!

On odd occasions I'd go to the pond that was at the end of Hastilar Road South, which was where the terminus of the No 32 bus was. Is it still there?

Tatty Dumps: You are about my elder brothers age ' Raymond Smith '.

He was in St Swithens Choir. I've distant memories of standing outside a house on Fitzubert Road between Windy House Lane and Basseldine Road whilst he had a snog!!!?? We also use to stand outside a house reciting a rhyme about ' Mavis '. I can't remember its words now, but it Will come to me and I'll post it.

Good morning Mr Smith

If you knew Sally and Harold Ellis it seems to me that you know/or have connections with a lot of poeple I know. Could you be my long lost cousin from Australia - the one who found all that gold?

DONT Tell Everyone or they will all know me or want to know me.

I note your post starts: ' Good Morning Mr Smith '. - Thar't starting creeping already!!!

DONT Tell Everyone or they will all know me or want to know me.

I note your post starts: ' Good Morning Mr Smith '. - Thar't starting creeping already!!!

I :rolleyes:love it when you talk dirty

I :rolleyes:love it when you talk dirty

Keep your mind on the subject:-

' Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 1950s.

(Thar must be a right cinky old sod at thar age!!)

He was in St Swithens Choir. I've distant memories of standing outside a house on Fitzubert Road between Windy House Lane and Basseldine Road whilst he had a snog!!!?? We also use to stand outside a house reciting a rhyme about ' Mavis '. I can't remember its words now, but it Will come to me and I'll post it.

You may have noticed that this little snippet has been ignored. It has tweaked a few distant memories that probably need to remain distant.

What does the word "snog" mean?

The rhyme about Mavis sounds interesting but would it be allowed on this site? I don't think I have had any dealings with choir boys so you may have the wrong Mavis.

You may have noticed that this little snippet has been ignored. It has tweaked a few distant memories that probably need to remain distant.

The rhyme about Mavis sounds interesting but would it be allowed on this site? I don't think I have had any dealings with choir boys so you may have the wrong Mavis.

I just can not place you from the long distant past.

Who are you?

[

QUOTE=ALBERT T SMITH;2471538]You may have noticed that this little snippet has been ignored. It has tweaked a few distant memories that probably need to remain distant.
The rhyme about Mavis sounds interesting but would it be allowed on this site? I don't think I have had any dealings with choir boys so you may have the wrong Mavis.[/quote]

I just can not place you from the long distant past.

Who are you?

My name was originally Mavis Petch(Turner), I lived at 191, Queen Mary Road from approx., 1936 I moved to 171 when I married, eventually leaving the "Manor" for good in 1975. I went to Stand House 1938-1944, passed my 11+ and went to Carfield. I had three brothers, Carl, Alan and Brian Turner.

I am now the grand old age of 74 and feel every day of it. It's your turn now!!!