Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

I posted yesterday on behalf of a friend of mine in Australia. He is trying to find information about his mother, Betty (Beatrice) OLDALE.

Betty came to live with the OLDALE family at 23 Windy House Lane c 1925 after the death of her father. She would then have been about 5 yrs old. Betty married Norman EDWARDS in 1937 but continued to live at Windy House Lane until c. 1942. Two sons were born to her at 23 Windy House Lane. They think that they went to Gleadless School. I presume that that is the school on Hollinsend Road?

My apologies as I think that I misled folks yesterday by giving the wrong house number. They definitely lived at no 23 - was that at the City Road end?

"Chyanteg" (a confused southerner who fetched up in Sheffield by accident almost 30 yrs ago!)

I'll ask my wife if she can fish out some information for you.

It could take time unless, and hopefully, someone else comes on stream with it.

If someone lived on Ravencarr Road in the 1930's which Primary school would they attend please?

My family originate from 43 Fitzhubert Road.

If someone lived on Ravencarr Road in the 1930's which Primary school would they attend please?

Most probably Stand House Infants & Junior or Pitworth Road Infants & Junior.

If they were Catholic's - St Teressa on Prince of Wales Road.

Prince Edwards at the Manor Top on the left hand side of Prince of Wales Road is also possible.

Name & House number with any extra information, such as peoples age & dates, could revive the Memory of others who read the postings, encouraging them to add their bit.

My family originate from 43 Fitzhubert Road.

What were their Name(s) and which year(s) & ow't else.

I think that you are the current oldest, ' Manorite '

Which junction of Wulfric and Queen Mary Roads was the old school? Near to Fretson Road or City Road.

Can you remember the Fishing pond on the right hand side of Queen Mary Road but below Waltheof Road?

Or the Pit Ponds either side of Mansfield Road at the Manor Top.

My father lived for a short time on Fitzubert Road close to Prince of Wales Road and near to the Manor Hotel. Called him Bill Smith or William Smith.

Was the rhyme about ' Old Pop Sefton ' Still chanted in your school days?

Please come back with more memories

The wooden huts were on Queen Mary Rd on the right hand side ,going up from the pond and just before you came to Wulfric Rd.I believe that there are some flats there now.There were no railings round the pond in the early 30,s There was also a pond where the island is in the middle of the road across from Hagues chip shop (was previous to them it was Lockets for many years)Does anyone remember the coloured family who lived on Waltheof Rd a rare sight in those days, I had contact with the youngest son Warris recently he has been living in Australia over 50 years now.An interesting story regarding them but back in the 1930,s a friend of my dads came to see him but when he got to Waltheof Rd he had forgotten the number of our house,he asked some youngsters "Do you know where Blacks live" Black being our surname yes mester came the reply its that house there,he got the shock of his life when this coloured woman came to the door

Question for Albert Smith Albert, you know the Manor Estate, can you tell me the name of that Pub at Deep pits ? on City Rd I,m racking my brain trying to think of it Do us a favour

My wife lived on Ravencarr Rd. She attended Pipworth Rd school, 1930

Does anyone remember the Billing family who lived on Fitzhubert Road - the bit off Prince of Wales Road below the school?

Not sure when they moved in, but think it was around the war years and they finally left in the 1970s. My Dad was the youngest called Roger and the others were Charlie, June, Audrey, Teddy, Beryl and then my dad.

My Dad died two years ago so any information about his early years would be appreciated.

Question for Albert Smith Albert, you know the Manor Estate, can you tell me the name of that Pub at Deep pits ? on City Rd I,m racking my brain trying to think of it Do us a favour

I don't drink beer so I don't go in pubs that often. I believe that the name of the Pub was or is, ' The Travelers ' or ' The Travelers Rest ' which was or is, on the left hand side of City Road above the Cemetery just before a few private semi detached which are before the Wulfric Road junction with City Road at Deep Pits. ( I believe ' Deep Pits ' that refers to ' Bell Pit Workings ').

If anyone reading this is a relative or remembers someone called ' Thacher or Thackery ' who lived in one of those semi detached, I'd like to know what became of the son who took an 'Engineering Apprenticeship ' at Brightside Foundry. Eccelsfield in 1953-4.

Because his parent's were the only one's in the 40-50s that I had every met who voted ' Conservative ' and living on the Manor. Some forty years after I'd left the area, I often wondered if he had got a sister called ' Margaret ' that he'd never told me about!!!

milted - Carry on ' Rackin your brains ', and get your memories written down here. Because someone, someday will be very pleased that you wrote them when they are writing about our history.

What were their Name(s) and which year(s) & ow't else.

Siddall,as far as I know my family have always lived there since they were built.

Siddall,as far as I know my family have always lived there since they were built.

The name rings a bell to me but I'll have to get my older Sister or Brother to get their thinking caps on. Can you remember where or how far away from Windy House Land was 43 Fitzubert Road. You said that they have always lived their. Have they bought the house yet? If they haven't it would be interesting to reckon up how much rent they have paid.