Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

I lived on the Manor Estate in the 1950s/60s until I left to work in Leeds in 1964. Our house was on Fitzhubert Road, directly behind the church and looked out on to Scotia Close.I remember the fish shop, the post office.

Edited by fitzhubert
spelling

Hi anyone remember the Newton family (Albert and Lily) who lived on Ravencarr Road 1930's, five kids one was called Sunny? Trying to trace my family tree. Thanks. :)

Hi I lived at 146 Fitzhubert Road and I went to St Theresa's School in 1956. I have just found a fantastic youtube documentary on the Manor which shows them knocking down Fitzhubert Road. I now live in Australia, but I would love to show this to my 98 yr old mother when I visit Sheffield in Juy. Is there anyway I can save the youtube doc?

Iwould also love to know what happened to some of my classmates... Margaret Valerio, Charmaine Pipe, John Butterworth, Steven Grayson are a few of the names that come to mind.

Cheers

Julie

---------- Post added 20-02-2015 at 22:20 ----------

The documentary is called "On the Manor Sheffield" Youtube address https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Q2lKEXcsY

My brother and I were born at 72 Fretson Road. Next door were Mr and Mrs Eyre and their son, John. On the other side were the Hancock family, then Mrs Toone, then my grandmother and her sister, Mrs Briggs and Mrs Walker. Beyond them were the Milners. Round the corner, almost opposite the top corner of 'the Rec' were the Fitzakerleys. I think John F went to school with my brother.

Opposite us Mr and Mrs Hastings and Mrs McGrath lived. From looking into my family I wonder if Mrs Hastings was my grandfather's sister. That would have meant her maiden name was Hague.

We moved to The Crossways before the birth of the first of my two younger sisters. We all went to Standhouse School. Miss Wright was head at that time. My teachers included Mrs Asplen, Miss Dodd, Mrs Parkin, Miss Berry and Mrs Miles. My brother was in Mr Rackham's class.

I remember going with my mum and grandmother to the shops at Fairleigh. We also used to get our paper kites from the man up the little close.

My brother and I stayed at Standhouse until secondary school. My sisters hit the 'middle school' period in education and transferred to Prince Edward. Most of the children from where we lived went to Pipworth Road.

My parents were married at St Swithun's church and two, or maybe three of us, were baptized there. My youngest sister was baptized and Prince of Wales Road Methodist church where we all went to Sunday School.

My brother and I were born at 72 Fretson Road. Next door were Mr and Mrs Eyre and their son, John. On the other side were the Hancock family, then Mrs Toone, then my grandmother and her sister, Mrs Briggs and Mrs Walker. Beyond them were the Milners. Round the corner, almost opposite the top corner of 'the Rec' were the Fitzakerleys. I think John F went to school with my brother.

Opposite us Mr and Mrs Hastings and Mrs McGrath lived. From looking into my family I wonder if Mrs Hastings was my grandfather's sister. That would have meant her maiden name was Hague.

We moved to The Crossways before the birth of the first of my two younger sisters. We all went to Standhouse School. Miss Wright was head at that time. My teachers included Mrs Asplen, Miss Dodd, Mrs Parkin, Miss Berry and Mrs Miles. My brother was in Mr Rackham's class.

I remember going with my mum and grandmother to the shops at Fairleigh. We also used to get our paper kites from the man up the little close.

My brother and I stayed at Standhouse until secondary school. My sisters hit the 'middle school' period in education and transferred to Prince Edward. Most of the children from where we lived went to Pipworth Road.

My parents were married at St Swithun's church and two, or maybe three of us, were baptized there. My youngest sister was baptized and Prince of Wales Road Methodist church where we all went to Sunday School.

I remember Miss Wright wearing a red? jumper with a pearl necklace and Miss Parkin with a jumper and always wearing a brooch, I seem to remember she fancied herself as having a nice singing voice (she was always known to me as 'Miss' never 'Mrs')

Mr Rackham looked scary with his gold rimmed glasses and brown pinstripe suit, he scared us all once when he informed us he knew we called him Old Man Rackham behind his back! He was just a big pussycat really though.

On 06/03/2009 at 14:58, Gooney said:

hi all,

thought this might be of interest to you, i am a Gooney, you mention Rose Gooney, there was also, Tom, Lol, Marion, Michael, Derek and Robert (my dad).

if anyone would like any further info please ask?

regards, Alan

Just spotted a new post you may be interested in -

my mum lived on the crossways . betty wheelhouse

On 11/12/2010 at 19:10, lazarus said:

Do you remember Langland (I think) the paperman on Fairfax?

I was a paperboy in the mid 60s for the Langdens When I started working I collected paper money from the Wybourn. Didn't have any problems in 4 years.  

On 04/08/2007 at 22:02, hutch said:

Does anyone remember Mr Jobar 294 Queen Mary Rd he made kites in the 40's out of brown paper and cane,he was asteel worker.:love:

I had kites from him but it would be around 1953 when i was 10 years old , I delivered papers to his house from  the paper shop at Manor top.

18 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I had kites from him but it would be around 1953 when i was 10 years old , I delivered papers to his house from  the paper shop at Manor top.

How old would Mr Jobar have been in the Fifties  ? We had a neighbour with that name in Hackenthorpe and he was a very skilled man . His daughter still lives in the same house .

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

How old would Mr Jobar have been in the Fifties  ? We had a neighbour with that name in Hackenthorpe and he was a very skilled man . His daughter still lives in the same house .

To me he was old , I was 10 in 53 , every one who was grown up  looked old . He was Indian i think but may be wrong as all I was interested in was his brown paper and split cane kites , They flew like the wind , they had a long rag tail , They flew so high that you could only just make em out , then your strings ,strings!!!!!!!! ran out , magic days , long summer days flying kites ,

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

To me he was old , I was 10 in 53 , every one who was grown up  looked old . He was Indian i think but may be wrong as all I was interested in was his brown paper and split cane kites , They flew like the wind , they had a long rag tail , They flew so high that you could only just make em out , then your strings ,strings!!!!!!!! ran out , magic days , long summer days flying kites ,

Ok mate . :thumbsup: