Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Would be great if someone remembered them as my Nannan still living and can remember loads

Hi JMorton, did you ever manage to speak to you uncle Sid Morton about the school photo please and David Roberts

Can anyone remember Doris Hobson or Bernard Robinson

yes i remember them didnt they marry .They are just a bit older than me.I lived at 136 Queen Mary Rd opposite the pond.How do you know them

Edited by download
spelling error

Hi JMorton, did you ever manage to speak to you uncle Sid Morton about the school photo please and David Roberts

I havent been on the Sheffield Forum for a little while,but couldnt help seeing your post.I remember David Roberts.My maiden name was Newton (Ennis).I lived at the bottom of Cary Road.

I remember Brian Sturgess who lived quite close to Hagues shop.Ihave an old autograph book that we got our friends and teachers to sign when we left school,thats a long long time ago give David my best wishes sorry I cant help with the football pictures.

Kind regards

Were many on the forum born on or lived on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s.

If so, What are your childhood memories, Have you a inclination to find others who you went to school or played with? If you moved from the estate, where did you go to?

Did you attend Stand House Junior School, Pipworth Road, Prince of Wales or St Theresa.

Can you recall the raft on both pit ponds at the Manor Top?

Going to Ford via the Old Arrow?

The tossing Ring on the nunnery Pit tip?

Why has the manor estate now got a bad reputation when the people who live there now have got or own riches which as youngsters use to dream off. For me that was mainly acquiring a good meal!!

Do you remember this ryme that we use to chant about the Prince of Wales School Head:-

Old Pop Sephton, Was A Good Man,

He went to church on Sunday's.

He prayed to god,

To give him strength.

To cane ALL the kids

On Monday's!!

Hi Albert

In years to come, Someone will write about the Manor Estate and be very pleased that you have left your contribution.

My dad is 85 and lived on Paulette Rd went to Pipworth rd schoo;l a large family Pat, Joan,Doris, Roy,John and your nameske, Albert (my dad). Has many memories, which I've heard and many stories.Would love to get some of these compared and recorded for posterity.

My dad is 85 and lived on Paulette Rd went to Pipworth rd schoo;l a large family Pat, Joan,Doris, Roy,John and your nameske, Albert (my dad). Has many memories, which I've heard and many stories.Would love to get some of these compared and recorded for posterity.

hiya my dads family lived at no 60 paulet rd his siblings were about your dads age their name was white , harry,mary,kath., margaret, ruth ask him if he remembers them this was in the 30/40/50.s also i remember ,minnards

johnsons, and mr,mrs haythorne who lived next door at 58, he was the only one i knew who had a car in the 40s.

Edited by willybite

hiya i remember during the war granddad had a shelter in their garden i used to like going in it when i was little.ps my aunts went to pipworth rd school too

kath and marg were born in 1929/30

He has a memory of doing some plastering at no 60 and talking to Mr White about his bad health. His sister in Law, who died some tome ago was Betty Dixon. She went to St Teresa. My dad's brother Roy was her husband. he has died too.

He mentions a Ronald Hague, who worked with him for a while, I think you might know.

My auntie Edie lived on Hasteller? Close( not sure of spelling). Edith and George Ralph. I spent a lot of time there as a child ( in the 50s). I remember the 'tripe man' coming round on his horse and cart. He used to ring a hand bell to let everyone know of his arrival. My uncle George always used to buy tripe and sometimes yoghurt that was pink !

I attended Pipworth Rd school from 1942 to 1953 and both the school and the lower Manor were very good as far as I was concerned. One of my first memories of school was during a practice air raid, all us kids trooping along in file to go to the air raid shelters. In those days there were wooden benches along the walls, and the entire system had electric lighting. It wasn't a frightening experience, although you did sometimes try to scare some of the girls, but risked being told off by one of the teachers, their names I can no longer recall, except for Miss Drinkwater. After the war, the shelters were used for all manner of things, of which I know nothing. School continued with it's ups and downs. Incurring the wrath of Miss Warren, a person I never grew to like, and I am certain she had the same regard for me. One conversation I recall, went something like this,. "To get your name in the punishment book is very bad, a second entry is nothing to be proud, but a third time is record no one can be proud of, I will write your name in pencil, and with good behaviour at the end of the year I will erase it". I never did find out whether I was good enough or not. So that was the junior school successfully negotiated. First day in the senior school my best friend was involved in a playground fight, he was not doing too well, so idiot here had to join in to help him. First day and I'm waiting outside of Mr Barrett' office for a friendly interview. The teachers in the senior school were generally fair and understanding. Mr Smith the science teacher was a great bloke, and Mr Pickering was OK, I remember being called to his desk, it was straight after morning or afternoon playtime, he just said in a quiet and cool way, "If you must smoke during school times, please don't breathe all over me". No report or anything else, what a great bloke. Away from school life in the 1940's and 50's the Manor was the greatest place in the world to live. If anyone asked where you came from, you answered with pride "THE MANOR".