Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Bells are jingling and I know there must be a connection. I lived at 191 QMRd

I know the Ellis', the Benns, the O'briens and the Mortons

I remember going to that house with pat ellis dont know why .Was there a big private down the right hand side of the .Funny things that come to mind.

I remember going to that house with pat ellis dont know why .Was there a big private down the right hand side of the .Funny things that come to mind.

Pat Ellis was a friend of my daughter Susan Connolly. They used to got to St Theresa's school together.

Pat Ellis was a friend of my daughter Susan Connolly. They used to got to St Theresa's school together.

Yes i remember .The times sally had to wash my cloths after been pushed in the pond .I dare not go home my mum would have killed me ah happy days

Hi download,

My memories of Trevor were as you and vidster had described. A man who got on with life in a quiet and effective manner, with no fuss or histronics. I remember him going to and from work on his BSA Bantam motorcycle. I am glad to hear that his final years were happy ones, he deserved them.

download, which brother had the the Scott motorcycle?

Regards m.

I had 3 brothers Trevor Keith and Cyril.Trevor had the Scott.and is now 84 lives in Wiltshire as I do,Keith had the Bantam.Cyril had a Norton I think.My parents first came to live on the Manor when it was built,and I was born at 136 Queen Mary Rd,moving to Cary rd when I was about 11.

Regards

Yes i remember .The times sally had to wash my cloths after been pushed in the pond .I dare not go home my mum would have killed me ah happy days

Hi janet,

It reminds me of the time I was fishing for sticklebacks in the pond. I was stood on one of the large rocks, when George O'Brian came onto the rock next to me and started throwing pebbles into the pond to scare the fish away. I eventually got fed up with this and turned and pushed him away. Unfortunately he slipped on the rock and fell headlong into the pond. There was an almighty splash and then lots of splashing as he struggled to get up. It looked like the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" emerging out of the water.

He was covered in mud and pond weed. He didn't say anything as he walked to the railings dribbling a trail of mud, slime and pondweed behind him. I don't know what his mother did to him. I decided to give the pond a miss for a week or two (discretion being preferable to valour, because he did have bigger brothers).

Ah not so happy days for some.

Regards m.

I had 3 brothers Trevor Keith and Cyril.Trevor had the Scott.and is now 84 lives in Wiltshire as I do,Keith had the Bantam.Cyril had a Norton I think.My parents first came to live on the Manor when it was built,and I was born at 136 Queen Mary Rd,moving to Cary rd when I was about 11.

Regards

Hi download,

Pleased to hear that Trevor is OK.

I remember your family living on Queen Mary Road before you moved into Edwards' old house on Cary Road. Your neighbours on Cary Road were the Clarks (remember Raymond?) and the Wilds (remember Wilfred?).

Regards m.

Hi Manaman. I too have a memory of someone falling into the pond, but too much of a coincidence to think it's the same incident. I keep hearing O'Briens mentioned. I can't recall their first names though.I wonder if they were in the same class/s as me (I,m 80).Can you tell me how the numbers ran on Q"ueen Mary Rd., say in relation to the junction of Windy House and Fitzhubert. Do you remember the COURTENAYS from around there,very tragic. More on this later. Bye for now. Keep well. John.

Hi janet,

It reminds me of the time I was fishing for sticklebacks in the pond. I was stood on one of the large rocks, when George O'Brian came onto the rock next to me and started throwing pebbles into the pond to scare the fish away. I eventually got fed up with this and turned and pushed him away. Unfortunately he slipped on the rock and fell headlong into the pond. There was an almighty splash and then lots of splashing as he struggled to get up. It looked like the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" emerging out of the water.

He was covered in mud and pond weed. He didn't say anything as he walked to the railings dribbling a trail of mud, slime and pondweed behind him. I don't know what his mother did to him. I decided to give the pond a miss for a week or two (discretion being preferable to valour, because he did have bigger brothers).

Ah not so happy days for some.

Regards m.

I remember georgie obrian joining frogs legs and throwing a necklace of them round my neck.Mydad came to my rescue after hearing my screams. I hated him for a long time but i am still petrified of frogs lot to answer for georgie/

Hi download,

Pleased to hear that Trevor is OK.

I remember your family living on Queen Mary Road before you moved into Edwards' old house on Cary Road. Your neighbours on Cary Road were the Clarks (remember Raymond?) and the Wilds (remember Wilfred?).

Regards m.

Thanks for reply.

Yes I remember Raymond Clark and he had a sister Joan when they moved Jim and Kath Jarvis moved there.Wilf Wild lived there until he married.He had 2 boys they lived on Beaumont Rd after his parents died.I never thought that memories could bring such pleasure.We had nowt, but from the different responses from others seems great.

regards d.

Still wonderering if anyone out there remembers some of our family who lived on the Manor. The Wheelhouses and Troughtons being two of them.

Morty.Your mention of Wheelhouse family has caused my brain to go in reverse gear. I know I knew them but can't place them. Give me clue. Where they lived,Schools etc.We lived on Wulfric, so must have been nearby. Cheers.

Hi John Gilpin It is many, many years since I had contact with my father's side of the family. I remember Fish Pond, is that a place. My aunt and uncle were Dolly and Walter Wheelhouse. Their daughter was Ann, who had a friend called Cath. There were some sons too but I can't remember their names. My uncle was Frank Troughton, his wife Doris, and a cousin David. I know there must be many, many more as we had some huge family gatherings at Aunt Dolly's. She made the most wonderful bread baps. sorry but recall not very good.