Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Good morning Mr Smith

If you knew Sally and Harold Ellis it seems to me that you know/or have connections with a lot of poeple I know. Could you be my long lost cousin from Australia - the one who found all that gold?

|knew sally and harold ellis from q m cresent pat was my friend .Sally died last year but i remember harold takeing pat and myself to woodhouse to put poppies on the monument in the square .i never knew why.janet

It was Edward Hobson who was sadly killed outside Stand house, I lived next door to him. Pehaps you may remember my brothers, Alan and Brian Turner. Pat and Marie Ellis played with my eldest daughter Susan. Are we in the same generation I am 74.

pat ellis was my best friend she marie sally and harold lived on queen mary cres when i lived on manor with grandmother woodcock.Pat is 69 this year i spoke to pat last year when sally died

pat ellis was my best friend she marie sally and harold lived on queen mary cres when i lived on manor with grandmother woodcock.Pat is 69 this year i spoke to pat last year when sally died

Did you live on Queen Mary Crescent Janet?

Did you live on Queen Mary Crescent Janet?[/Qno i lived facing obrians next door to mortons at 148 queen mary rd .My brother alan known as curley married maureen benn from woodthorpe close

Did you live on Queen Mary Crescent Janet?[/Qno i lived facing obrians next door to mortons at 148 queen mary rd .My brother alan known as curley married maureen benn from woodthorpe close

Bells are jingling and I know there must be a connection. I lived at 191 QMRd

I know the Ellis', the Benns, the O'briens and the Mortons

Bells are jingling and I know there must be a connection. I lived at 191 QMRd

I know the Ellis', the Benns, the O'briens and the Mortons

we came to live on manor in 1948-9 my brother brian was working he was allways with roy sellars charlie spriggs terry leary. He worked at firth brown tools then.my younger sister was friends with joany mees who lived facing the pond.I dont know who manerman is but he remembers fig trees in our garden at bottom of basseldine.

we came to live on manor in 1948-9 my brother brian was working he was allways with roy sellars charlie spriggs terry leary. He worked at firth brown tools then.my younger sister was friends with joany mees who lived facing the pond.I dont know who manerman is but he remembers fig trees in our garden at bottom of basseldine.

did you live near bottom of woodthorpe close iwas in the same class as alan hill peter slinn brian hallem

did you live near bottom of woodthorpe close iwas in the same class as alan hill peter slinn brian hallem

No, we lived next door to the fishpond before it turned onto the crescent. Turner was the family name I had three brothers, Carl, Alan Brian and myself Mavis. I remember all the names you have just mentioned. I am now 75, Alan sadly deceased,Brian 67 and Carl 77. We all went to Stand House, my brothers went on to Prince Edwards and I went to Carfield.

Thanks Manaman. Your post fully expresses my thoughts. Since I've only just joined SF, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to read all these messages. These roots mean everything to me and increasingly dominate my thoughts. Regards to everyone. P.s. My parents were one of the first to move onto Wulfric when it was built in 1928, so I started Standhouse in 1932--1938 then Prince Edwards 1938-!942. Bye.

Hi john gilpin,

My family were latecomers to the Manor compared with your family, we didn't arrive until 1933, but we maintained a presence there until 1985.:thumbsup:

Regards m.

I dont know who manerman is but he remembers fig trees in our garden at bottom of basseldine.

Hi janet,

I also remember the large figs that were on them, pity they didn't ripen.

My gran lived at 152, Queen Mary Road, next door to the O'Brians.

Do you remember the large black chow dog that was at the house up Basseldine next to the O'Brians?

Regards m.

Just been on phone to my sister in law was maureen benn she was laughing about the sledge on woodthorpe close janet burton nee horry

Hi janet burton,

I can imagine Maureen laughing about the Anderson shelter corrogated sheet. It was completely different to a sledge. The front of the sheet was curved up and it was far larger than a sledge. Therefore it was a great attraction to the kids who didn't have a sledge, in other words most kids. It didn't have any handholds, so the kids just sat on the sheet. If possible the kids would to sit near the back of the sheet which tended to lift the front of the sheet so that it would slide over small bumps. It could be guided as sorts by somebody using their "wellied" foot as a rudder. In an emergency, the kids had to try and roll off the sheet, usually with varying degrees of success.

The Woodthorpe Close/Manor fields run had it's own obstacles;

steep road, so high speed when reaching the bottom.

hope no vehicles are driving on Queen Mary Road,(usually few and far between in those days, especially when snow was on the ground).

remember to pack up the snow so it formed an incline up the causeway edge opposite the entrance to the Manor fields so the sheet wouldn't hit the causeway edge and tip over.

Finally, because the entrance to the fields was narrower than Woodthorpe Close, it was important to try line the sheet up with the field entrance at the top of Woodthorpe Close, but usually this appeared to be "hit and miss". So that when the sheet was heading for a fence, it was a case of "abandon sheet" before the fence was hit.

I also remember sledging with Anderson sheets down the farmer's fields off Manor Lane before the Manor Park estate was built.

Finally I still have this picture in my mind of lots and lots of kids sledging down the roads, when suddenly there is a cry of, "Copper" and in an instant all the kids and sledges disappear down footpaths, behind hedges etc. In those days we still had bobbies patrolling the streets, and whoebetide anybody caught sledging on a public highway.

Ho happy days.

Regards m.

The Woodthorpe Close/Manor fields run had it's own obstacles;

steep road, so high speed when reaching the bottom.

hope no vehicles are driving on Queen Mary Road,(usually few and far between in those days, especially when snow was on the ground).

remember to pack up the snow so it formed an incline up the causeway edge opposite the entrance to the Manor fields so the sheet wouldn't hit the causeway edge and tip over.

Finally, because the entrance to the fields was narrower than Woodthorpe Close, it was important to try line the sheet up with the field entrance at the top of Woodthorpe Close, but usually this appeared to be "hit and miss". So that when the sheet was heading for a fence, it was a case of "abandon sheet" before the fence was hit.

I have the very same memories from when I was a kid living on Woodthorpe Close, only it was in the 80's we did this.. :D

Many a bruised backside was had from sledging down there.. :D