Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi Lazarus Thanks for your reply.Sadly my mum died in 1993 also Fred and Roger have also died. My grandmother Gladys is still ok and living at the bottom of p o w road.I think you were right about Roger working in the pit although he got out of it and did well for himself. I think Freds wife was Mary. Where on the manor did you live. best wishes John

used to live on Harborough Avenue just six doors away from the Steel Inn but all the houses have been demolished now. Sorry to hear about your mum she always looked very delicate to me even though she wasnt. Its also sad about Roger & Fred its always sad when children pass away before the Parents.I dont think Gladys will remember me but I remember her.

Were many on the forum born on or lived on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s.

If so, What are your childhood memories, Have you a inclination to find others who you went to school or played with? If you moved from the estate, where did you go to?

Did you attend Stand House Junior School, Pipworth Road, Prince of Wales or St Theresa.

Can you recall the raft on both pit ponds at the Manor Top?

Going to Ford via the Old Arrow?

The tossing Ring on the nunnery Pit tip?

Why has the manor estate now got a bad reputation when the people who live there now have got or own riches which as youngsters use to dream off. For me that was mainly acquiring a good meal!!

Do you remember this ryme that we use to chant about the Prince of Wales School Head:-

Old Pop Sephton, Was A Good Man,

He went to church on Sunday's.

He prayed to god,

To give him strength.

To cane ALL the kids

On Monday's!!

In years to come, Someone will write about the Manor Estate and be very pleased that you have left your contribution.

i lived on queen mary rd and went to prince edwards left 1955 my name was janet horry

YIPPEE!!!! You're back and of course you are right it was Fred Hallam and there was another one I remember, Gilbert Benn, do you remember him. I hope you are well and raring to go.:clap:

gilbert benn is my uncle,is sister carol is my mum,iv heard many a story about the manor.:hihi:

Hi Janet, Are you related to The Family called Horry who live on the Triangle Estate at Handsworth?

Vera Hopkinson, nee Pope, is wanting to hear from people who knew her and to nudge their memory she remembers having a cat with wings when young.

All came to see this cat from far and wide so she is wondering if anyone remebers this event which was writen up in the Star over 60 years ago.

We thought this may bring her to mind.

Vera' Mom was a dinner lady at Pipworth Rd School (Mrs Pope ) along with Mrs Craven and Mrs Hampshire who's son was in Vera's class at school.

Mrs Hampshire lived across the Rd from Grace Bonsall.

Hi Janet, Are you related to The Family called Horry who live on the Triangle Estate at Handsworth?

im related to them,there my auntie and uncle.

Hi there,

I knew both Freds. I am 75 so Fred senior was a little older than me. My brothers, Alan (sadly deceased) and Brian Turner were mates of Fred junior. In fact I have a picture of hoim on my bedroom wall. It includes Gilbert Benn as well, all in their kiss-me-quick cowboy hats at the seaside.

Regards Tatty

thats my uncle...gilbert benn...not seen him for years.

Anyone remember the Slaters of 121 Frestson road, Iris, Dennis were the parents and Linda, Michael ,Maureen were the kids in the late 50's early 60's?

Email me i would be glad to here from you.

email is [email protected]

hi does anyone know the Hagues who lived on Stonecliffe Road?