Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

............One of my first early memory's is Mother taking me in my pram (I believe), to what I was to get to know as ' The Welfare ' for Sun Ray Treatment?.........

QUOTE]

This Sun Ray Treatment....what was it? I seem to remember going to some sort of clinic to have what my mother called jelly patches, these were put on your backs. Does anyone remember these, was is same as sun ray treatment?

Was it the same ' Clinic or Welfare '? The one I refer to was on Ridgeway Road.

I can't remember what the treatment was. Just that my mother called it. ' Sun Ray Treatment '.

We used to go to the clinic on Ridgeway Road at the side of the Library. Can't remember if that's where I used to go for my treatment. I just remember a few kids there all at the same time, stripped down to our vests and underpants.

We used to go to the clinic on Ridgeway Road at the side of the Library. Can't remember if that's where I used to go for my treatment. I just remember a few kids there all at the same time, stripped down to our vests and underpants.

Would this be in 1941 - 43? I was born in November 1937 and it is one of my first memories prior to attending Stand House School.

Did anyone remember playing on the rafts that were floating on the Pit Ponds that were behind Pit Heaps either side of Mansfield Road?

Though we all called them, ' Pit Heaps ', were they? If so, where had the pit been situated?

There were more numbers on the outer ring of Queen Mary Rd. Stand House would be round about 203, running along the top of the Rec. So, there were houses between Stand House and the Rec and then houses down to P.O.W. This means it has to be round about St. Theresas. Dr Listers was at the junction of Hastilar Rd and P.O.W.:wave:

Just to confirm that the last house on Queen Mary Rd on the Windy House Rd side of POW Rd was number 279. This was directly opposite St Theresa's across POW Rd but futher up from the White House. We (Beach) lived at no. 279 from the late 40's until 1955; my grand parents (Tom & Ada Childes, daughter Mary and son Jack) lived at no. 275 for many years and the Dronfield family were their neighbours. The Price family lived at no. 277. The Beach family was well represented on the Estate, with Richard (Dick), Mierion (Mac), sister May around the Stonehouse Rd/Motehall Road area. I went to Prince Edward's school from c 1948 until 1955 and my autograph album reminds me that the head was Victor Cross, with Olive Stephenson, John Roberts, David Hughes Mrs Pilgrim, JK Walsh, JH Martin, AE Dowker, PH Bishop, CE Webster, CA Kent, SM Ward, EE Moore, AV Warden, M Farmer.

Though I left the Manor and did not attend Prince Edwards School.

I remember the ryme about the then headmaster

Old Pop Sefton was a good man,

He went to church on Sunday's.

He prayed to god, to give him enough strength.

So he could cane all the kids on Monday.

Following post #148: - When did ' Old Pop Sefton ', retire?

Just to confirm that the last house on Queen Mary Rd on the Windy House Rd side of POW Rd was number 279. This was directly opposite St Theresa's across POW Rd but futher up from the White House. We (Beach) lived at no. 279 from the late 40's until 1955; my grand parents (Tom & Ada Childes, daughter Mary and son Jack) lived at no. 275 for many years and the Dronfield family were their neighbours. The Price family lived at no. 277............

Our family lived at 277 Queen Mary Road from about 1960ish, the house below us which was the last house on QM Rd before POW Road was the Booth's. Across from us lived both my aunts.

Stumbled across this website by accident and have enjoyed reminiscing.... any way my family are from the Manor and my gran still lives there.. she's 88 this year... Sally Ellis... hope someone remembers her. She lived on Queen Mary Crescent next door to the Sellwoods until her and my Grandad moved into a bungalow near Manor top in the mid nineties.

Grandad (Harold Ellis) passed away six years ago at the ripe old age of 85.

Gran is now housebound but still potters around the best she can.

I used to go to Stand House, then St Theresa'a in the early eighties and spent most of my early years at Queen Mary Crescent while mum and dad worked.

Cheers

Stumbled across this website by accident and have enjoyed reminiscing.... any way my family are from the Manor and my gran still lives there.. she's 88 this year... Sally Ellis... hope someone remembers her. She lived on Queen Mary Crescent next door to the Sellwoods until her and my Grandad moved into a bungalow near Manor top in the mid nineties.

Grandad (Harold Ellis) passed away six years ago at the ripe old age of 85.

Gran is now housebound but still potters around the best she can.

I used to go to Stand House, then St Theresa'a in the early eighties and spent most of my early years at Queen Mary Crescent while mum and dad worked.

Cheers

When the opportunity arises, please ask your Gran if she once lived at 133 Windy House Lane, or was it a relative. Her son or Husband was taken prisoner at Singapore by the Japanese and I believe spent the rest of his time working as a slave prisoner on the Railway.

I've memory's of seeing burnt or whip marks on his back when he took his shirt off to get washed, just after he came home from the war.

The name of a Mrs Woodhouse keeps popping into my mind also. Does this connect with your family?

A Mrs Cryer lived at 135.

Seem to remember a David Biggin at Standhouse when I was there. Would this be the same ? (Biggin)

Hello Mr Smith - thanks for the post, Yes you are correct my Gran and Grandad lived at 133 Windy House Lane. It was Grandad who was taken as a prisioner of war and he did have to work on the railways. Gran and Grandad used to live with my Great Grandmother Emily who passed away in 1979 aged 89.

Just spoken to Gran .. she aks if your are Terry the youngest son of the Smith familiy as she remembers you well and sends her regards.

Your mother used to visit my other great grandmother in Woodhouse - perhaps this is the Woodhouse connection?

Regards

Seem to remember a David Biggin at Standhouse when I was there. Would this be the same ? (Biggin)

Sorry its not me - I was there from 1981 to 1983 if that helps.

Cheers

Hello Mr Smith - thanks for the post, Yes you are correct my Gran and Grandad lived at 133 Windy House Lane. It was Grandad who was taken as a prisioner of war and he did have to work on the railways. Gran and Grandad used to live with my Great Grandmother Emily who passed away in 1979 aged 89.

Just spoken to Gran .. she aks if your are Terry the youngest son of the Smith familiy as she remembers you well and sends her regards.

Your mother used to visit my other great grandmother in Woodhouse - perhaps this is the Woodhouse connection?

Regards

Its lovely to read the above and that is what this thread is all about.

Re-connecting connections, especially applicable to those who spent their younger days close to Windy house Lane, Stand House School during the dark days of the war years.

So revive those dusty corners in your minds and get them down on paper.

Can anyone recall seeing the Sheffield City Centre ablaze after a German bombing raid?

(You can not take memories with you, So share them whilst you can with others!!)