Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Did anyone live near 273 Queen Mary Road and remember the Dronfield family. My mum lived there in 1942. Another relation lived at 4 Queen Mary Road in 1933.

Betty

Can you or anyone recollect where the house numbers 4 & 273 Queen Mary Road would be, in relation to Windy House Lane.

All around the Pond, previously mentioned on Queen Mary Road, trees use to grow. Can anyone remember a lad named ' Eastwood ' playing ' Tarzan '.

When he tried to jump from one tree branch to the next tree branch, he missed and finished up falling to the ground. He was carried off in a ambulance to hospital with a broken ' Collar Bone ' and because all of the youngsters had squeezed through the steel rod fencing to get to the pond the local copper gave us all a warning and some of the older ones, ' a wallop '.

I had a friend who used to live at number 8 Queen Mary Road. It was the first road on the left as you came down Prince Of Wales Road, opposite Prince Edward's School. We used to take the first right turn, onto a little close (can't remember the name of it) and I think it brought us out near where Fitzhubert Road and Windy House Lane crossed.

Sorry but I have no idea where number 273 would be.

Not 100% sure but I think the little close mentioned in my previous post might have been called Leonards Close.

merrydown the name of the close was leonards close

i am sure malcom mercer will be very pleased you like his books. i saw him only yesterday as i served him and his wife in the shop i work in. i am pleased to say i was once mentined in one of his books as i used to go tothe st swithuns sunday school.the superintendent there was a woman called mrs ryalls she lived on reynald road.i also recall the name betty beal. did she marry and become betty pugh who lived on the corner of wulfric road and fitzhubert road

bushbaby 3, Betty Pugh was the aunt of the friend I mentioned above. She had two sons, one called Alan and I think the other one could have beenDerek.

I had a friend who used to live at number 8 Queen Mary Road. It was the first road on the left as you came down Prince Of Wales Road, opposite Prince Edward's School. We used to take the first right turn, onto a little close (can't remember the name of it) and I think it brought us out near where Fitzhubert Road and Windy House Lane crossed.

Salvation Army building where we all spent many evenings during the the war times years, most have been close to here. Is it still in existence?

I can remember we sang a song which started, ' Deep and Wide '. Forgotten the rest.

Don't forget to give a indication of which year or house number is refereed to in your postings. It all helps others to join in.

Some body - always knows something - about somebody - That nobody else does!!

No.273 would be on the opposite side of Prince of Wales Rd

merrydpwn bettys husband was called gordon and you were right about the names of her two sons .she lived next door to my motherinlaw

i am sure malcom mercer will be very pleased you like his books. i saw him only yesterday as i served him and his wife in the shop i work in. i am pleased to say i was once mentined in one of his books as i used to go tothe st swithuns sunday school.the superintendent there was a woman called mrs ryalls she lived on reynald road.i also recall the name betty beal. did she marry and become betty pugh who lived on the corner of wulfric road and fitzhubert road

I used to take papers with Betty Beal, we are about the same age, (73). She married Gordon Pugh and the last I heard of her she was living on Norfolk Park near Park Grange Rd. We used to knock about in a gang of four and every weekend we used to meet a gang of Wybourn lads on the farmer's field and the jazz band.

betty pugh worked asa dinner lady at prince edwards school for many years her youngest son derek joined the army .alan stayed at home although he was in the territorials where he met his girlfriend. i have a picture of my youngest son sat on her lap in bettys living room

No.273 would be on the opposite side of Prince of Wales Rd

That would depend upon how many numbers filled the circular Queen Mary Road.

No 273 could have been near the Rec and Dr Listers Surgery.