Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Does anyone remember the old man who lived in his shed on the allotments at the back of Queen Mary road40. He had his patch right next to the stream that ran through the middle but nearer the back of the cemetery. I am talking about the 40's and I think the man was Irish. He was a nice chap and all the kids used to go and talk to him. I don't think that could happen now.

I've vague recollection of the Shed or Caravan. It had a chimney obviously from a stove somewhere inside. I was very young so I can't recall who lived in the Hut/Caravan. More of interest's why did he? I hope someone can add to this.

Did anyone buy kites from someone who lived on Raynald Road? Was he the blind man who lived in a house not far away from Stand House School?

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the incendiary bombs being dropped on the Community Hall along with my Family, friends and myself!!

I wonder which bloke dropped them!! though I expect he got some back by return!.

During the war I remember going to that Salvation Army Centre where we would sing a song called. ' Deep and Wide '. I can recall the tune but not the words. When we left a man on either, ' Fire watch or Aircraft watch ', would often tell us to get home quick and into the air raid shelter because,' The German Bombers were on the way '. Usually he was correct. Can you recollect him? (or anyone else)

Was Dr. Halle's wife called Jenny?

We also went to a house near to the Rec. I believe at the top of the hill on Fretson Road.

I called it ' The Rec-ab-bites or something like that. Why we went I'll never know except it was free and we stood a good chance of getting a bit of cake!!. '( Owt for nowt' ).

Your question about the name of Dr. Halle's wife it was Francis, my wifes gran was housekeeper to the listers and then housekeeper/nanny to the Halle's

I've vague recollection of the Shed or Caravan. It had a chimney obviously from a stove somewhere inside. I was very young so I can't recall who lived in the Hut/Caravan. More of interest's why did he? I hope someone can add to this.

Did anyone buy kites from someone who lived on Raynald Road? Was he the blind man who lived in a house not far away from Stand House School?

I too can remember the chimney and I also am old (73) so things are vague. I always played with my three brothers and can remember going inside. It looked very comfortable - from a child's eyes. He smoked a pipe and I once asked him why he hadn't got a house and why he lived there. I can recall his answer very well, "Why not", even though I didn't understand it.

Thank you ' Kingfisher ' for correcting my #069 Posting regarding the location of the Shops. I now know that your posting is the correct one.

I'm going to try to obtain the book so could you give me a bit more information regarding: Publisher & Date.

Did Malcolm Mercer live on the left-hand side of Windy House Lane, above the Fairleigh Shops, going towards City Road?

Can anyone recollect the names of any of the variety shows that were staged at the Arbourthorne Working Mans Club?

I did,nt know Malcolm Mercer personally but he attended Pipworth Rd School so i imagine that he lived at the lower Manor end ,He was also Head teacher at Parson Cross School and has written several books about local; historyI have seen several references to Brian Starr, did he have a brother named Bernard ,I know there was a sister called Grace who was a tram clippie during the war. There was also the Stones family who lived at the last house before Fitzhubert Rd.Betty Stones lived there long after the rest of the family had gone

I too can remember the chimney and I also am old (73) so things are vague. I always played with my three brothers and can remember going inside. It looked very comfortable - from a child's eyes. He smoked a pipe and I once asked him why he hadn't got a house and why he lived there. I can recall his answer very well, "Why not", even though I didn't understand it.

hey mavis thats not old age is just a number

"The fireman watch or Aircraft watch" I think would be the "Air Raid Wardens". My father was one of these, Archie Turner and he worked alongside Mr Mercer. I think that would be Malcom's father. I once did some research for Sociology and was advised to visit Stand House School where they had a local history group. The first person I spoke to was Malcom.

hey mavis thats not old age is just a number

That's what I used to think, personally I think we have all been brain-washed.

It's funny but in my dreams I am always young

In 1946 I was a paper girl for Frank Hanson on City Road. Among the kids that took papers was a girl called Betty Beal, she lived on Wulfric Road. We used to knock about in a gang the others were called Margaret Franklin and Barbara Shaw. Do these names tweak any memories?

In 1946 I was a paper girl for Frank Hanson on City Road. Among the kids that took papers was a girl called Betty Beal, she lived on Wulfric Road. We used to knock about in a gang the others were called Margaret Franklin and Barbara Shaw. Do these names tweak any memories?

I must get my eldest sister ' Jean ' on this thread.

You'll all be rattling on for ages.

We lived at 137 Windy House Lane. Jean, Raymond, Joan, Terry. (Thats me)

I've just read a letter from "Kingfisher" and he talks about a jazz band parading on Waltheof road on to the what has always been called the jazz band field. I lived on the manor very near that field, next to the farmer's field, for about 40 years and always wondered how the field got it's name of "Jazz band" - nobody ever knew. Thanks a lot mate for putting an old lady out of her misery.

I am her relative & I cannot remember her name ,I will ask my sister.

beatie and joes daughter is called pauline spoke to my mum and she told me

joe sanderson was a good friend of my grandad sam oxley thats how my mum and dad knew joe and beatie. my grandad died in 1955 when i was just a baby and my dad and mum always through the years spoke to joe and beatie and pauline.

I've just read a letter from "Kingfisher" and he talks about a jazz band parading on Waltheof road on to the what has always been called the jazz band field. I lived on the manor very near that field, next to the farmer's field, for about 40 years and always wondered how the field got it's name of "Jazz band" - nobody ever knew. Thanks a lot mate for putting an old lady out of her misery.

For future historical reference, information like that, should really be posted on the thread so that in future it will always be available for those who will write about our Council Estates and people like ourselves who lived their.