Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

i came on to the mamor in 1953 when i was just two years old i lived at the corner fitzhubert road and bassledene road. ithe fishpond was at the bottom of bassledene road. i can well remember when they filled it in because for quite a while after squashed frogs ccuuld be found in the middle of the road .run over by the cars going up and down bassledene'i still live on the manor now it is agood place to live despite what its said in the media about it.most manor occupants have lived onthe manor for years

:gag: :gag:

I lived on the Manor, Queen Mary Road, for about 40 years. I used to work at Hagues chip shop. I also lived next door to the old fish pond and was drtagged from it soaking many, many times after being pushed in. My family name was Turner.

Tatty Dumps

mavis talking of hague s fish shop do you remember when i went to get our dinner one day and took steven in his pram i came back with the dinner but left steven outside shop ma went mad i run back up to shop like i was jet proppelled ,but in them days it was a much safer world than today steven was happily sleeping when i got happy days

Did anyone live near 273 Queen Mary Road and remember the Dronfield family. My mum lived there in 1942. Another relation lived at 4 Queen Mary Road in 1933.

Betty

mavis talking of hague s fish shop do you remember when i went to get our dinner one day and took steven in his pram i came back with the dinner but left steven outside shop ma went mad i run back up to shop like i was jet proppelled ,but in them days it was a much safer world than today steven was happily sleeping when i got happy days

The only thing wrong there June was that he was still there when you went back. Please, please don,t tell him.

The only thing wrong there June was that he was still there when you went back. Please, please don,t tell him.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was so cute

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was so cute

This is what a friend thought of my son Steven Connolly, he lived on Queen Mary Road and went to St Theresas and on to St John Fishers. He is 43 this year . Does anybody remember him. He left the Manor in the 80's

i was born on the manor in 1933at 137 windyhouse lane, i attended standhouse school which was at the bottom of the lane on queen mary road

i had plenty of mates down there harry hewitt eric bickerstaffe walt reaney bryan star.

iremeber going on to the manor feilds and warring with the wybournites,there were what appeared to be thousands of kids all going to kill one another but somehow it never quite worked out like that,all we got were cut and buises and a good hiding for being late in.

does anyone recall the fishing pond on queenmary road at the bottom of cullabine road i caught my first fish there it must have weighed all of half an ounce but it won the match that day.i rember the allotments also most of them empty when all the owners had gone off to fight in the real war,i often wonder how many returned.

I too was born in 1933 and went to Stand House School, I lived on Queen Mary Road, further down than Walt Reaney. my name was Mavis Turner/Petch

The chip shop on Fairleigh across from the Post Office was kept by Locketts for years before Hagues took over,i used to dash from school on a friday for a pennorth and a penny fish 3 times (with plenty of scraps on),the Post Office was kept by Swanns next door was Smiths green grocery shop,then came Gebhards at the corner of Windy House.Lower down Fairleigh was Broughs grocery shop with Hirsts newsagents,that became a shoe repair shop when Hirsts had a new shop built at the corner of Cullabine Rd Around 1938 On the other side of Fairleigh was the Coop grocery with a chemist shop along side,between there and the Maypole was Airies who ran a firework club for the kids,does anyone remember the bald headed manager in the Maypole it was a treat to watch him with the butter slappers.At the top side of the Graves Trust houses was Watsons sweet shop with a chip shop along side of it,there would be a queue down Wulfric Rd outside Lockets but no one would go to Watsons.Allens butchers Shop was at the corner of Windy House Lane

If anyone has,nt read Malcolm Mercers Manor In The Thirties it is well worth reading,that is if it is available now,it was the best Xmas present i had

My parents went to live on Waltheof Rd in Sept1925 when i was 15 months old(i will be 83 come 1st june) I remember Standhouse Farm being there before the school was built,my first school was the Wooden Huts which was on Queen Mary Rd near to the junction with Wulfric Rd,I went to Standhouse school when that opened the teachers i remember are Miss Vere and Miss Dodds, i got the job of ringing the school bell in a morning mainly because i lived near to the school and because i was a big lad.I then went to Prince Edward School in 1935,where i had a few strokes of the cane from the infamous Percy Sefton,once for breaking a window with a cricket ball. There used to be a Jazz Band go on Waltheof Rd on a sunday morning all dressed in multi coloured clothing,they went down to play in a field at the back of the cemetery ,which was duly named as the jazz band field

Kingfisher, I have read somewhere that you remember cattle being taken to the fields where Waltheof school is now. What happened to the old farm? Did it fall into disrepair. There used to be an old tree stump (now dug up) near the corner of Prince of Wales Road and Beaumont Road North. I was told the tree was in/on the farm. Is this true?

Hi Steve,

The cattle from Standhouse farm use to be taken along Waltheof Rd to the fields at the backside of the cemetery,which is a long way from where Waltheof School now stands,I dont know what condition the farm was in ,I was only 5 years old when it was demolished.but i do remember a chap coming round with a milk can and 1/2 pint and pint measures and selling milk

Does anyone remember the old man who lived in his shed on the allotments at the back of Queen Mary road40. He had his patch right next to the stream that ran through the middle but nearer the back of the cemetery. I am talking about the 40's and I think the man was Irish. He was a nice chap and all the kids used to go and talk to him. I don't think that could happen now.

The chip shop on Fairleigh across from the Post Office was kept by Locketts for years before Hagues took over,i used to dash from school on a friday for a pennorth and a penny fish 3 times (with plenty of scraps on),the Post Office was kept by Swanns next door was Smiths green grocery shop,then came Gebhards at the corner of Windy House.Lower down Fairleigh was Broughs grocery shop with Hirsts newsagents,that became a shoe repair shop when Hirsts had a new shop built at the corner of Cullabine Rd Around 1938 On the other side of Fairleigh was the Coop grocery with a chemist shop along side,between there and the Maypole was Airies who ran a firework club for the kids,does anyone remember the bald headed manager in the Maypole it was a treat to watch him with the butter slappers.At the top side of the Graves Trust houses was Watsons sweet shop with a chip shop along side of it,there would be a queue down Wulfric Rd outside Lockets but no one would go to Watsons.Allens butchers Shop was at the corner of Windy House Lane

If anyone has,nt read Malcolm Mercers Manor In The Thirties it is well worth reading,that is if it is available now,it was the best Xmas present i had

Thank you ' Kingfisher ' for correcting my #069 Posting regarding the location of the Shops. I now know that your posting is the correct one.

I'm going to try to obtain the book so could you give me a bit more information regarding: Publisher & Date.

Did Malcolm Mercer live on the left-hand side of Windy House Lane, above the Fairleigh Shops, going towards City Road?

Can anyone recollect the names of any of the variety shows that were staged at the Arbourthorne Working Mans Club?