Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

The Manor Community Centre was burnt out through incendiary bombs during the Sheffield Blitz and was opposite the White House Dr. Lister's surgery, later to become Dr. and Mrs. Halle's surgery. There was a bowling green and tennis courts. It was the Salvation Army Hall on Queen Mary Road.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the incendiary bombs being dropped on the Community Hall along with my Family, friends and myself!!

I wonder which bloke dropped them!! though I expect he got some back by return!.

During the war I remember going to that Salvation Army Centre where we would sing a song called. ' Deep and Wide '. I can recall the tune but not the words. When we left a man on either, ' Fire watch or Aircraft watch ', would often tell us to get home quick and into the air raid shelter because,' The German Bombers were on the way '. Usually he was correct. Can you recollect him? (or anyone else)

Was Dr. Halle's wife called Jenny?

We also went to a house near to the Rec. I believe at the top of the hill on Fretson Road.

I called it ' The Rec-ab-bites or something like that. Why we went I'll never know except it was free and we stood a good chance of getting a bit of cake!!. '( Owt for nowt' ).

I lived on the Manor in the mid 1950s - 129 Windy House Lane and went to Stand House School. I remember the fish pond, Hagues fish and chip shop, and a barber who used to cut all the kids hair on Saturday morning. Used to go upstairs to his shop. I think he only knew one style. Remember playing hours on the Manor Fields. There was also a bloke who used to take two collies for a walk and he used stop and make them do tricks for us. Also went to the Manor picture house for the kids matinees on Saturday. Anyone remember a doctor Wilson?

I lived on the Manor, Queen Mary Road, for about 40 years. I used to work at Hagues chip shop. I also lived next door to the old fish pond and was drtagged from it soaking many, many times after being pushed in. My family name was Turner.

Tatty Dumps

:gag: :gag:

I lived on the Manor in the mid 1950s - 129 Windy House Lane and went to Stand House School. I remember the fish pond, Hagues fish and chip shop, and a barber who used to cut all the kids hair on Saturday morning. Used to go upstairs to his shop. I think he only knew one style. Remember playing hours on the Manor Fields. There was also a bloke who used to take two collies for a walk and he used stop and make them do tricks for us. Also went to the Manor picture house for the kids matinees on Saturday. Anyone remember a doctor Wilson?

I lived on the Manor, Queen Mary Road, for about 40 years. I used to work at Hagues chip shop. I also lived next door to the old fish pond and was drtagged from it soaking many, many times after being pushed in. My family name was Turner.

Tatty Dumps

Was the church ' St Swithens ' at the top of Basseldeen Road?

Yes the church at the top of Bassildene Road was St. Swithins, I've spent many a Saturday afternoon watching the weddings there. The vicar's name , when I went to Sunday school, was Rev., Pascoe who was a kind and gentle man.

Tatty Dumps:smile:

I attended Stand House School, and my first teacher was Miss Vere (jolly plump lady). Do you remember Miss Hartley, the Headmistress, with her hair in a bun? I remember Miss Dodd, Miss Carr who played the piano for assembly (she became Mrs. Walker and later taught my son and daughter at Stradbroke School), Miss Dimbelby, she wore her hair in two plaits wound round her ears like earphones (didn't like her), also Mr. Hague who joined the Navy in the War.

I attended Stand House School 1938-1944 and I remember all the teachers you mentioned but the one who sticks in my mind was Miss Gillott who became Mrs Jones and took the entrance class.

Tatty Dumps:cool:

I'm almost certain that Miss Hartley was my Headmistress and Miss Dodd my first teacher. The first day that I attended Stand House School I went home at playtime. I only live across the road at 137, Windy House Lane. At that time the only traffic about was either the Councils, Post Office or Police.

The first fatal road accident that I witnessed, and I still have flash backs. Happened outside the schools care-takers house on Queen Mary Road. A boy jumped onto the side of a road-sweeper, that also cleaned out the road drains. After he'd jumped on the side of the truck he slipped and was caught by the brushes which swept him straight under the back wheel of the truck.

That little lad who was killed was my friend, Edward Hobson, and he lived next door to me.

Tatty Dumps:)

That little lad who was killed was my friend, Edward Hobson, and he lived next door to me.

Tatty Dumps:)

All these years have gone by and I never ever knew the name of the boy. Just for clarity, ' What would have been the address of Edward Hobson? Someone at some time will be pleased that we left our memories when they are writing about the Estates in Sheffield.

At a guess I would say that the accident happened in 1943 - 46?

The fish pond that you were often dragged from . Was it the one on the right hand side of Queen Mary Road below Waltheof Road.

Can you recall the railings that hung over the drop at the end of Waltheof Road. The name of the game was to try to get right to the end of the railings whilst being bounced up and down like a ' yo yo ', before you fell off

Did you go to Snaith when the Vicar Pascoe retired or left St Swithens? I think he left his curate to run things, A man Mr Emerson who I believe had been in the Navy.

:gag: :gag:

Tatty Dumps

I spent a lot of time in Hagues chip shop buying fish cakes. I'm trying to remember some of the other shops around there. There was a co-op further down the road and I think a newsagents across from Hagues. I used to catch the bus into town outside that shop. The fish pond usually had loads of tadpoles and frogs in it. I also used to go to the Manor pictures for the Saturday matinees.

Originally posted by alby:

I spent a lot of time in Hagues chip shop buying fish cakes. I'm trying to remember some of the other shops around there. There was a co-op further down the road and I think a newsagents across from Hagues. I used to catch the bus into town outside that shop. The fish pond usually had loads of tadpoles and frogs in it. I also used to go to the Manor pictures for the Saturday matinees.

In 1944 - 46. Hagues fish & Chips was on the left-hand corner of Wulfric Road and Fairleigh. On the right-hand was the Post Office and towards Windy House Lane some more shops. (I've forgotten the names?).

Across the roundabout, where two fire service water ponds were, (N.F.S.) and on the corner of Wulfric Road and Fairleigh was the Butchers(?) down Fairliegh, towards Prince of Wales Road, just past the, Graves old persons two store flats, was the Brightside & Carbrook Butchers and Groceries. Across Fairleigh on the corner of Cullabine Road and Fairleigh was Needhams Chemist with the Maypole Groceries next door(?) but on Fairleigh.

Can anyone correct that or add more. In the space between Windy House Lane and Wulfric Road I'm minded to think that a bomb crater existed.

I do remember my eldest sister saying to me, ' I'm glad that it hadn't hit the butchers or she'd have to walk down to the Co-Op Butchers!!'. ( At least another hundred yards further!)

Was ' Jonnie Mac Brown ' still playing at the Manor Pictures Matinee

Originally posted by alby:

In 1944 - 46. Hagues fish & Chips was on the left-hand corner of Wulfric Road and Fairleigh. On the right-hand was the Post Office and towards Windy House Lane some more shops. (I've forgotten the names?).

Across the roundabout, where two fire service water ponds were, (N.F.S.) and on the corner of Wulfric Road and Fairleigh was the Butchers(?) down Fairliegh, towards Prince of Wales Road, just past the, Graves old persons two store flats, was the Brightside & Carbrook Butchers and Groceries. Across Fairleigh on the corner of Cullabine Road and Fairleigh was Needhams Chemist with the Maypole Groceries next door(?) but on Fairleigh.

Can anyone correct that or add more. In the space between Windy House Lane and Wulfric Road I'm minded to think that a bomb crater existed.

I do remember my eldest sister saying to me, ' I'm glad that it hadn't hit the butchers or she'd have to walk down to the Co-Op Butchers!!'. ( At least another hundred yards further!)

Was ' Jonnie Mac Brown ' still playing at the Manor Pictures Matinee

There was the Post Office, I remember a fruit shop and Gebhardts Pork Butchers. Brough's Grocery Store came after the Alms Houses, then a Shoe Repairer and Needham's Chemist. Allens Butchers was on the corner of Windyhouse Lane. The Maypole was on the opposite side of Fairleigh.

I don't remember Jonnie Mac Brown ' at the Manor Pictures Matinee. I started going around 1954/55. Does anyone know when Saturday Matinee's started at the Manor Pictures? The Sheffield Star used to advertise loads of cinemas every night in Sheffield. During the week I think the programme ran on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and changed for Thursday, Friday and Saturday with (I think) a one-off programme on Sunday. You could spend all evening in the pictures.

Thanks for those shops. I do remember some of those and yes the Co-op was much further away.

All these years have gone by and I never ever knew the name of the boy. Just for clarity, ' What would have been the address of Edward Hobson? Someone at some time will be pleased that we left our memories when they are writing about the Estates in Sheffield.

At a guess I would say that the accident happened in 1943 - 46?

The fish pond that you were often dragged from . Was it the one on the right hand side of Queen Mary Road below Waltheof Road.

Can you recall the railings that hung over the drop at the end of Waltheof Road. The name of the game was to try to get right to the end of the railings whilst being bounced up and down like a ' yo yo ', before you fell off

Did you go to Snaith when the Vicar Pascoe retired or left St Swithens? I think he left his curate to run things, A man Mr Emerson who I believe had been in the Navy.

Edward's address was 189, Queen Mary Road, I lived next door at 191. I think the accident happened around 1944/1945. He was actually dragged under the refuse truck because his boot laces were undone and they got caught in something and dragged him under. The fishpond I was pushed into on a regular basis was at the bottom of Basseldene Road - at the bottom corner of Queen Mary Crescent. It was a semi-circle of land that was divided in half, one half was the pond and the top half( near Waltheof Rd) was what we used to call the plantation - just grass with a clump of bushes in the middle.