Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

I was born at No 123 Harborough Avenue and lived there till 1966, I attended St Theresas R.C. school all of my school life.

Does anyone remember the Billing family who lived on Fitzhubert Road - the bit off Prince of Wales Road below the school?

Not sure when they moved in, but think it was around the war years and they finally left in the 1970s. My Dad was the youngest called Roger and the others were Charlie, June, Audrey, Teddy, Beryl and then my dad.

My Dad died two years ago so any information about his early years would be appreciated.

Can any remaining family members you give an idea if the house on Fitzubert Road was near the top junction of Prince of Wales Road near Prince Edwards School ( Manor Top) or St Teresa's (Bottom, Across from the Manor Hotel which I understand is now gone). Did they go to any local schools or remember the names and dates of people or things that happened? Did they play on the Raft which was on the Pit Pond behind Prince of Wales School? or the one across Mansfield Road. Did any go to the Little Dick in Darnall for the Saturday Matinées or Park Swimming Baths? ( Then have a Pork (horse meat) pie ).

We were given white tickets so we could get in free at the baths, It made sure that at lease we all got one bath once a week!!! If we did not go the ticket book wasn't stamped and the school nurse would be alerted to look for scabies!!

I was born at No 123 Harborough Avenue and lived there till 1966, I attended St Theresas R.C. school all of my school life.

Do you remember the Trams running on Prince of Wales Road or going to the Little Dick or on the Nunnery Pit Tip, or having a nosey over the fence at the Greyhound Track. Can you remember the Ack Ack Guns or the plane coming down near the little wood. ( If I remember correctly it only had two tree's, and one of those was dead after being struck with lightening, Couldn't get much smaller)!!

The wooden huts were on Queen Mary Rd on the right hand side ,going up from the pond and just before you came to Wulfric Rd.I believe that there are some flats there now.There were no railings round the pond in the early 30,s There was also a pond where the island is in the middle of the road across from Hagues chip shop (was previous to them it was Lockets for many years)Does anyone remember the coloured family who lived on Waltheof Rd a rare sight in those days, I had contact with the youngest son Warris recently he has been living in Australia over 50 years now.An interesting story regarding them but back in the 1930,s a friend of my dads came to see him but when he got to Waltheof Rd he had forgotten the number of our house,he asked some youngsters "Do you know where Blacks live" Black being our surname yes mester came the reply its that house there,he got the shock of his life when this coloured woman came to the door

Do you mean the School Huts were at the road junction of Wulfric Road and Queen Mary Road near to the City Road side of the estate?

Have you any re-collections of The Graves Trust Houses being built at the bottom of Windy House Road and on Fairleigh where the Co-Op, Maypole and Needham's (Chemist) were or still are?

The name rings a bell to me but I'll have to get my older Sister or Brother to get their thinking caps on. Can you remember where or how far away from Windy House Land was 43 Fitzubert Road. You said that they have always lived their. Have they bought the house yet? If they haven't it would be interesting to reckon up how much rent they have paid.

43 Fitzhubert was the 2nd or 3rd house around the corner from windyhouse lane.My Dad was moved further down the Manor when they started to rebuild so I would not know any rent info sorry.My Aunty Beattie lived a few doors down from us she was married to a guy called Sanderson.

Do you remember the Trams running on Prince of Wales Road or going to the Little Dick or on the Nunnery Pit Tip, or having a nosey over the fence at the Greyhound Track. Can you remember the Ack Ack Guns or the plane coming down near the little wood. ( If I remember correctly it only had two tree's, and one of those was dead after being struck with lightening, Couldn't get much smaller)!!

I can remember putting nails on the tram tracks and trying to make little swords out of them,like I can remember sitting in the front row of the little dick and getting neck ache from staring up at the screen because you were seated so close. Can you remember the small plane that landed on the Manor fields and started giving bananas out? I think it was fyffes who sponsored it, most of us had never seen a banana before. The thrill of riding a home made trolly from the Manor Top right down to Darnall and walking all the way back just to do it again, I must stress to younger Forumers that these trollies had no batterys,no memory cards,no microchips the only chips we had were made potatoes and we bought threepenny bag from either Hagues, Smedleys or Wilkinsons, great days,no problems.

43 Fitzhubert was the 2nd or 3rd house around the corner from windyhouse lane.My Dad was moved further down the Manor when they started to rebuild so I would not know any rent info sorry.My Aunty Beattie lived a few doors down from us she was married to a guy called Sanderson.

if your aunt is beattie siddall and she married a sanderson cant remember his first name, my mum and dad knew them

if your aunt is beattie siddall and she married a sanderson cant remember his first name, my mum and dad knew them

Are we all now going to find out that due to activities, after a Friday night at the Manor Hotel. That we all are related?

Thanks to all who have replied about my earlier query about 23 Windy House Lane. :thumbsup:

I have been looking at maps for this area from 1923-1940 and it looks as if, in early 1930s, the only building on Windy House Lane was a farm. Then the circles of houses at the top of Windy House Lane were built in late 1930s. I had previously thought that the houses on the Manor were built after WWII. Seems that I was wrong. I have also found a photo, (rather misty) of the beginning of building on Windy House Lane on "sheffieldvillages" by tracy. together with some other building in progress shots. Fascinating!!

Is my time scale about the building of the Fairleigh estate right?

chyanteg ( the confused southerner!)

My Aunty Beattie's husband was called Joe he was a smashing old guy ,My Aunty May lived with them.they had a daughter & her husband is called Pete they lived opposite the big church on the right hand side of the road going towards town on City Road.Have not seen them for years.

Thanks to all who have replied about my earlier query about 23 Windy House Lane. :thumbsup:

I have been looking at maps for this area from 1923-1940 and it looks as if, in early 1930s, the only building on Windy House Lane was a farm. Then the circles of houses at the top of Windy House Lane were built in late 1930s. I had previously thought that the houses on the Manor were built after WWII. Seems that I was wrong. I have also found a photo, (rather misty) of the beginning of building on Windy House Lane on "sheffieldvillages" by tracy. together with some other building in progress shots. Fascinating!!

Is my time scale about the building of the Fairleigh estate right?

chyanteg ( the confused southerner!)

I believe that the houses on the ' Manor Estate ' around Windy House Lane, Queen Mary Road area were built about 1926 - 30. I hope that someone else will confirm or correct this. I did not make my appearance until 16 Nov, 1937!

The houses built after WWII were called ' Manor Park '. That is where you may be confused. Those houses were built upon the Manor Fields, Allotments, Little Wood, Ack Ack Gun site and where the Nunnery Colliery pit tip was. A illegal coin tossing ring was there, When in use spotters were placed in positions to look for police raiding the area. Many youngsters who lived on the Manor Estate played on those open spaces and sometimes went to see the ' Tossing Ring '.

If you would like to donate a copy of the Photograph and Map to the local history section of Sheffield Library so everyone can look at them for nothing.

I would be please to arrange it.

I believe that I could arrange for the ' Rather Misty ' Photograph to be copied, loose some of its mist, enabling you to possess a clearer photograph

My Aunty Beattie's husband was called Joe he was a smashing old guy ,My Aunty May lived with them.they had a daughter & her husband is called Pete they lived opposite the big church on the right hand side of the road going towards town on City Road.Have not seen them for years.

Was the church ' St Swithens ' at the top of Basseldeen Road?