Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

I lived at no. 5 Archdale Place in the early 50's and went to Standhouse school just up the road. Mr Rackham, Miss Lant are a couple of teachers I can recall. We sometimes used to listen to a radio program,, detective serial I think which was "piped" around the classrooms! Mr Rackham used to march us in military style from the playground into the school and always carried his cane , just in case! I seem to remember some buildings at the bottom of the rear playground which I think may have been air raid shelters?

Remember the upstaires Barber on Saturdays and the short back and sides. Fairleigh shops? Fishing pond and all that frogspawn. my two elder sisters used to scare me when we went on the Manor fields with Ghost stories about Mary Queen of Scots, Castle and secret tunnels.....

There was a guy who made paper Kites on Faileigh anyone remember him?

I was married in St Swithuns Church in 1968 I think it is no longer?

Is the School still there?

I've a photo of the School which you are welcome to have a copy of.

The buildings at the rear of the school were air raid shelters.

I flew many a kite made by the man you mention, flying them usually off the bank-side at the end of Waltheof Road. Did you play on the old railings?

My brother 'Rayzor1'. Kept all the youngsters scared to death about the ghost of, ' Mary Queen of Scots ', walking about the manor fields with her head tucked under her arm and the secret tunnels. Can you remember the 'Rec'? Was the radio programme ' Dick Barton Special Agent '?

St Swithens is now no longer standing, I was a choir boy at the church.

Was the vicar who married you called ' Emerson '? He arrived at the church about 1945. Was Mrs Barton still teaching at Stand House in the early 1950s her husband taught at the Central Technical School on Leopole Street, S1.

Think back, your memories will be valuable to someone some day so please take the trouble to write them down onto the thread.

I lived on the Manor in the mid 1950s - 129 Windy House Lane and went to Stand House School. I remember the fish pond, Hagues fish and chip shop, and a barber who used to cut all the kids hair on Saturday morning. Used to go upstairs to his shop. I think he only knew one style. Remember playing hours on the Manor Fields. There was also a bloke who used to take two collies for a walk and he used stop and make them do tricks for us. Also went to the Manor picture house for the kids matinees on Saturday. Anyone remember a doctor Wilson?

Did you live next door to or are you called ' Denton '?

Mick & Arther (Pop) were my childhood friends who I have not met since 1945-6.

What a good memory you have Albert T and thank you for reviving some of mine! Would love a photo of the School please. Can you send electronically?

Can't place the railings on Waltheof road, I'm not sure on that one but it was definitely Dick Barton Special Agent that was broadcast in the classrooms, you know the music at the start.......something to do with trains?

The Vicar at St Swithuns was Brian Pritchard, March 1968, remember him?

Mrs Barton sounds familiar but can't be positive. I have been thinking more about the school over the past couple of days and can recall being in the school country dancing team (one off), selling biscuits and chocolate marshmallows at break time and scoffing one or two with the others, classroom Christmas 'parties' where we brought something from home on the day we broke up. Some pupil names; Haslam, Titterton, Cockerel, Scott....I never had a school meal but we used to clamour for the job of putting out the roll up tablecloths on the school desks just before 12 then someone else delegated to do the knives, forks and spoons!

I do remember a "rec" not far from the school on the way to POW rd. Used to play there a lot. Is that the one you mean? So you bro was responsible for scaring us little ,uns all that time ago! Happy days!

Can't remember Denton. I moved there about 1953. Do remember Titterton and another lad who lived across the road from the school called Peter Ratcliffe. My neighbours were called Bickerstaffe?? Yes I also remember the shelters at the bottom of the school yard. When we played football at the school we had to walk to a fiield just off Prince of Wales Road - seemed a long walk. The teacher was Mr Miller and there was also a Mrs Wright. A 'tripe' van used to come round on (I think) Thursday nights.

Had some happy memories there.

I know that I am going back a long way but I am trying to help a friend in Oz trace his mothers relatives. His mother was living with the OLDALE family at 123 Windy House Lane at some point from 1924 onwards. They eventually moved to Oz after the war and lost track of each other. Was no 123 City Road end or the other end?

chyanteg

Number 123 would have been at the other end of City Road - near to the school.

Lived at 92 Fairleigh until 1952 (when I was 5), the house is still there but the back garden went right up to the back of Tom's barbers in my day. I remember a Mr Moxon who lived in the old folks flats that the back garden ran at the side of.

We had a police sergeant as a neighbour so it couldn't have been a bad area in those days.

Lived at 92 Fairleigh until 1952 (when I was 5), the house is still there but the back garden went right up to the back of Tom's barbers in my day. I remember a Mr Moxon who lived in the old folks flats that the back garden ran at the side of.

We had a police sergeant as a neighbour so it couldn't have been a bad area in those days.

It wasn't probably because the Policeman issued instant judge and jury service to those who required it. Parents whilst knowing of their ' Rights ' also realised that with them also came, ' Responsibilities '.

I'll contact my oldest sister regarding postings that refer to happenings that I was too young to remember. She is called ' Jean '. anybody remember her? (She's still 21)

My parents went to live on Waltheof Rd in Sept1925 when i was 15 months old(i will be 83 come 1st june) I remember Standhouse Farm being there before the school was built,my first school was the Wooden Huts which was on Queen Mary Rd near to the junction with Wulfric Rd,I went to Standhouse school when that opened the teachers i remember are Miss Vere and Miss Dodds, i got the job of ringing the school bell in a morning mainly because i lived near to the school and because i was a big lad.I then went to Prince Edward School in 1935,where i had a few strokes of the cane from the infamous Percy Sefton,once for breaking a window with a cricket ball. There used to be a Jazz Band go on Waltheof Rd on a sunday morning all dressed in multi coloured clothing,they went down to play in a field at the back of the cemetery ,which was duly named as the jazz band field

My parents went to live on Waltheof Rd in Sept1925 when i was 15 months old(i will be 83 come 1st june) I remember Standhouse Farm being there before the school was built,my first school was the Wooden Huts which was on Queen Mary Rd near to the junction with Wulfric Rd,I went to Standhouse school when that opened the teachers i remember are Miss Vere and Miss Dodds, i got the job of ringing the school bell in a morning mainly because i lived near to the school and because i was a big lad.I then went to Prince Edward School in 1935,where i had a few strokes of the cane from the infamous Percy Sefton,once for breaking a window with a cricket ball. There used to be a Jazz Band go on Waltheof Rd on a sunday morning all dressed in multi coloured clothing,they went down to play in a field at the back of the cemetery ,which was duly named as the jazz band field

I think that you are the current oldest, ' Manorite '

Which junction of Wulfric and Queen Mary Roads was the old school? Near to Fretson Road or City Road.

Can you remember the Fishing pond on the right hand side of Queen Mary Road but below Waltheof Road?

Or the Pit Ponds either side of Mansfield Road at the Manor Top.

My father lived for a short time on Fitzubert Road close to Prince of Wales Road and near to the Manor Hotel. Called him Bill Smith or William Smith.

Was the rhyme about ' Old Pop Sefton ' Still chanted in your school days?

Please come back with more memories

I posted yesterday on behalf of a friend of mine in Australia. He is trying to find information about his mother, Betty (Beatrice) OLDALE.

Betty came to live with the OLDALE family at 23 Windy House Lane c 1925 after the death of her father. She would then have been about 5 yrs old. Betty married Norman EDWARDS in 1937 but continued to live at Windy House Lane until c. 1942. Two sons were born to her at 23 Windy House Lane. They think that they went to Gleadless School. I presume that that is the school on Hollinsend Road?

My apologies as I think that I misled folks yesterday by giving the wrong house number. They definitely lived at no 23 - was that at the City Road end?

"Chyanteg" (a confused southerner who fetched up in Sheffield by accident almost 30 yrs ago!)

Number 23 is nearer the City Road end.