The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Hello again to all - this seems to be my own personal yearly update - reminds me of my anniversary or I can forget number of years!

Hello to those who quit several years back and those that have only recently found this forum and maybe the Champix path..

I am still around though rarely think to visit the forum these days.

I stopped 5 years back using Champix and haven't smoked anything since. I still miss the nicotine but not the smoking part and don't intend going back!

Stopping smoking after a lifetime as a smoker is hard, it still leaves me with an empty feeling somedays but as each year passes it gets easier, even almost forgot my 'quit anniversary' this year..

Forum doesn't seem to be as active as it once was - merged with another thread then declined - shame as it helped me so much..

Kind regards to all those older members whoose comments I found so helpful in the early times of my Champix assisted path to becoming a non-smoker.

It was tough and nicotine is still occasionally missed even now but it was necessary, just that my mind & body couldn't see it..

thanks to all..

Hi guys

Have not been here for years, but I am still a nonsmoker. This forum was very helpful for me when I started champix 4 years ago. And I use to say if I can quit, everybody can. :hihi: So if are thinking about it still, just do it, not so hard you'll see and good luck :cool:

Has anyone on here tried this drug to help them stop smoking?

I have read a lot on the net about it, but as most remarks are on "health" sites not sure if a) they are real. or b) just biased.

I would be interested to know if anyone had any side effects and what they were and did it actually work. No point putting myself through it if it doesn't work.

Have decided after reading through this thread to start my "Champix" tomorrow. It was lovely to see people giving accounts of their daily progress and offering support to each other.

I'm rather concerned about the side effects but have noticed that it seems to be mainly on the higher dosage. I need to be able to drive and it says on the pack that the tabs can make one drowsy. As anyone had this?

It's the side effect of the taste that I need as I know that if I don't like the taste I won't smoke (had a similar effect from glaucoma drops a couple of years ago). Does this side effect make food also taste dodgy?

I'm 59 and have been smoking since I was 15, but stopped when I found I was preggy twice with no problem. I don't smoke anywhere apart from in my front room at home. I know mine is a habit rather than an addiction but it's a bugger to break.

Will update as I go along and will welcome any tips etc. (please no comments on my spelling, I know it's bad but can't be checking the dictionary every min).

Edited by liza D

Well, I totally forgot about this forum, and only stumbled across it again by accident. I will be 6 years smoke free at the end of this year. Hope all other quitters are doing just as well x

Well, I totally forgot about this forum, and only stumbled across it again by accident. I will be 6 years smoke free at the end of this year. Hope all other quitters are doing just as well x

Well done! Keep up the good work!

1 month 2 weeks for me :) 10 years on 30 a day I have to say I'm proud.. 3rd time lucky on ecig! Good luck everyone xx

Gratz Eclipse296

I am 4 yrs 7 months since started Champix:)

hello all. my friend is wanting to stop smoking and is finding it very difficult so now thinking about getting hypnotised to stop. just wondering if anybody has tried it and think that its worth paying the money to do it... help and opinions would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Stopped smoking 36yrs ago after visiting an Hypnotherapist after smoking for 20yrs, my Wife went on the same day his daughter hypnotised her.

We both walked out and have never touched a cigarette since.

The money we saved bought us our house.

This is such a positive thread! Congrats to all of you who managed it and don't give up hope all of you who still want to!

Just an update that it is 8 years today that I have up thanks to Champix. Sad to see the forum so quiet now but it really helped me with the encouragement of others on here. I cannot believe I ever smoked now. Why did I do that and waste so much money!!!

I've been free for nearly ten years now with the help of Nicorette. I know for a fact that one cigarette would be all I would need to get going again. But the main thing is that Cigarettes are so expensive today I couldn't afford them on my pension. A single pack costs over eight dollars here, a carton of 200 over eighty. I don't know what you pay in the UK but I bet its about the same as we pay.