The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

I have decieded to stop smoking today after 45 years it will be difficult, but I feel it is a good decision.

Cold Turkey or willpower we will see, health first and money second I am trying to convince myself.

Well what the hell I can not go back now

I stopped smoking so many times, I didn't need practice. Even after I got cancer of the larynx in 2001, I stopped for a while, but slipped back into my awful habit, borrowing a cig now and then. Then all of a sudden six years ago, I said no more, not one. I have never smoked one since. A week of agony then freedom for life. Now they're 80 bucks a carton, and I don't care. I look at the poor suckers standing outside the airport departure building drawing in that last butt before hours in a smoke free aluminum tube, and feel sorry for them.

Hi all,

Nice to see this thread still going. I have been quit three years today. Could not have done it without Champix and the forum. Please stay strong everybody trying to give up cos it will be worth it in the end. I know now that I will never ever smoke again.

Becky

Tried patches,gum,etc with no success at all,started with the e.cigs a month ago,no desire to smoke another fag whatsoever.

it was 2 and half weeks for but had one at a party on saturday here we go again . slowly getting there . good luck to all ta jeff

Perhaps it shows that folk still want to stop, but would be interesting to see if folk were still "stopped" :)

I'm still stopped - it'll be 4 years this January

Would love some advice if possible I took champix for around 4 months I stopped smoking on day 14 all went well the only side effect I had was very bad indigestion even before eating so had to have tablets & gaviscon of the Doctor I stopped taking champix two weeks ago so thought I would tackle the weight, I have also put on about 3 stone in weight so I joined Slimming world last week I have not lost weight I managed put half a pound on:confused: I read the books and followed it so I was shocked any advice would be welcome:help:

Time for another update ...

Now 4.5 years since I stopped.

I'm probably seeing the first real health benefits. I've improved my diet and lost 11kg with a target of losing 1kg per month. The weight loss has improved various problems I had including blood pressure, reflux, sleep apnea etc. I was about 85kg before I stopped, peaked at 109kg and am now 98kg; I'd be happy to get back to 85kg. I have more energy and am starting to feel generally fitter.

Having not touched a cigarette until now, I slightly slipped on the smoking front recently. I lit a friends cigarette a few times - they went to the phone - and I finished the cigarette before they came back. I can report that my body still finds nicotine and smoking as wonderful as before ! It would be very easy to start again. Fortunately I now have few friends who smoke and I don't see them very often.

I see smoking a whole cigarette last month, and not restarting, as a significant psychological victory, but I don't intend to risk it regularly.

Peter

95.9 kg this morning. I'm losing about 1kg per month and this is the first time I've been in the 95's.

Put on 24 kg after I stopped smoking 4.5 years ago. Was 109kg in summer 2011, 105kg christmas 2011, now 95.9kg.

I've changed my diet (no sugar, cakes, etc and rare to have chips or fatty food) and the weight loss has been steady for the last 10 months or so.

had a cheeky one on friday so back on day 3 . its worst when i have a pint . i kept trying to stop just got to keep at it

well hello everyone, all of a sudden this site has come alive again after a period of stagnation. Well done to everyone who are trying to give up, and also to all of you that have given up. I had my last cigarette on 12/11/10 two years ago, the weight piled on, but is slowly coming of again. keep carrying on the good work. Its worth it.

Hi. To stop smoking you can try what ever you want and what ever some one advice you.

The things is you never gone stop with something even if it is come from unknown planet or somewhere. To stop smoking them all things just give you 1 percent rest of it is your motivation to stop smoking, to not give up when you gone quit and during whole period to the rest of your life to do not go back to smoke.