The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

This is a five year old thread! :huh:

Perhaps it shows that folk still want to stop, but would be interesting to see if folk were still "stopped" :)

Hi all

I have been on Champix now for 13 days and intend today to be my first without a cig. I have had the equivalent of on cig the last 3 days and didn't really want them anyway.

So I have been suffering horrid side effects. I daren't drive most of the time as I feel like a total space cadet, I keep just falling asleep, I can't eat anything - I seem to have developed an aversion to most tastes, my aniety has returned this weekend, I am sweating really badly, I don't feel like myself at all and like I am iin a bubble and the worst is probably I can't stomach coffee any more *SOB* There are more symptoms too like belching like a warthog!!!!

Anyway I mentioned this on my Facebook and was given the like to this thread by Jabberwocky. I met him at his brother in laws wedding a couple of months ago (I am just coming to the end of the therapy!! :hihi: ). I am only up to page 40 lol but it has been so good to read that others gave felt the same ................ it has also kept me occupied and helped with the occasional craving I get.

Just wanted to say hi really, thanks to all who have posted as you have really helped so far. I will try and post how I am (even though I am day 13 now) as I know how much reading has helped me so I hope it helps others.

I went cold turkey almost three years ago. After two weeks I realised that I would never smoke again. Today, it never even crosses my mind to smoke and has not done so for over two and a half years. I feel sorry for smokers now , though not judgemental.

The craving went completely for me after just a few weeks. It was much easier to stop that I thought, but then, I had made my mind up to stop...So stick at it!

NO MORE EXCUSES!

Good Luck Fungers!

Well done AWOL

x

Ive been 14 months without a fag. I am a non smoker,I just could'nt be bothered with all the faffing about involved ie,trying to hide the smell,standing outside everywhere,convincing myself that I need the next fag within 20 mins or else!, Or else what?.

Fungers is from Lancashire. In spite of this, please welcome her,.

Oh and, meeting me enhanced her life, honestly!

*Controls the urge to race around the room, screaming with my jumper over my head at the memory of meeting ..............* Oh Hi Jabber :D

So day 14 on Champix hasn't been as bad as yesterday! I can now say I haven't had a cig for over 2 days WOOP!

I didn't sleep til gone 5am but I am an insomniac anyway so that is nowt new for me. Coped ok on 3 hrs sleep. Went for my first appointment since starting and as I thought the nurse wanted me off them. I begged her not to take my magic pills away and told her what I had read on here about the lower dosage. Thankfully she agreed but now wants to see me every week and I am to ring for an emergency appointment if I feel I am losing the plot! I think she sees me turning into a fruitloop. Well more of a fruitloop!

So I am now on 0.5 twice a day. The funny thing is that I haven't felt too spacey etc today anyway so maybe I should have kept schtum and seen how I went.

Today I have barely craved at all. The only thing I have craved is food. Lots of....... but as my OH said it is like being pregnant again. I know I want soemthing but I don't know what! :loopy: I am currently chowing down the best tasting banana fritters ever and have set my sights on the half a toffee apple cake in the kitchen next.

Sorry I have waffled a bit there. I do have one question - did anyone get ringing in their ears? Since last night I have had a high pitched ringing inone ear. REALLY annoying. Just wondered if it was me or a side effect.

I had the tinnitus thing , plus other strange sounds popping up for no apparent reason. That was on the full dose though and if I remember rightly it stopped at the half dose. As far as I can remember loads of bad stuff stopped at the half dose, including my unearthly urge to eat garlic.

I have decieded to stop smoking today after 45 years it will be difficult, but I feel it is a good decision.

Cold Turkey or willpower we will see, health first and money second I am trying to convince myself.

Well what the hell I can not go back now

I have decieded to stop smoking today after 45 years it will be difficult, but I feel it is a good decision.

Cold Turkey or willpower we will see, health first and money second I am trying to convince myself.

Well what the hell I can not go back now

Best of luck with it Sandie, stopping is easy, it's staying stopped that's hard, I'm 7 years stopped on 29th November.