The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Some hotel rooms are designated non-smoking and some allow it, in my experience.

Some hotel rooms are designated non-smoking and some allow it, in my experience.

just an argument my OH and my cousin were having last night after a few drinks :)

I presume a hotel can set whatever rules they like. If they say no smoking allowed, then it's up to you to accept that or not, they are not obliged to rent the room to you. Some even have a policy whereby they say if they find evidence of smoking (ie smell or dog ends or whatever) they will charge you a premium for ridding the room of whatever.

As far as smoking in rented property, again that depends what it says in the tenancy agreement.

The last couple of hotels I stayed in - one let you smoke in any room, and the other had a mix of smoking and non-smoking rooms.

It's up to the hotel - they can designate the rooms as smoking or non-smoking.

Same goes for private rooms in a few other places, like nursing homes.

If you rent a hotel room are you legally allowed to smoke in it because you are renting the room? Same as if you rent property to liv ein are you legally allowed to smoke in there?

It is not illegal to smoke in rented hotel rooms however the hotels which don't allow smoking in their rooms use the usual " it is against the law to smoke etc" signs instead of having the balls to tell customers that they don't actually want their custom.

I always tell them that their signs are wrong and that if they don't want smokers then give them the real reason instead of hiding behind useless signs.

I stayed in a hotel last month where there was a clause that said if you did smoke in the room there would be a £200 cleaning charge plus the cost of one nights stay.

I stayed in a hotel last month where there was a clause that said if you did smoke in the room there would be a £200 cleaning charge plus the cost of one nights stay.

I wonder if this would be as enforceable as the parking fine/invoice bill?

I see these notices all over and do not for one minute believe it would cost that much to open the windows and spray some air freshener, after all, that's probably about as much extra cleaning it would get.

I was led to believe that allowing customers to smoke in the rooms also affected the insurance premiums so if a hotel allowed smoking their insurance premiums would be quite a bit higher that is why most hotels do not allow it

it is legal as in law the hotel room that you stay in is effectively your home for that duration

hotels and guest houses do not like you to smoke in them as somebody has already said due to insurance costs and no i do not smoke

Its not 'illegal' as it is in pubs as far as I know, but it is up to the hotel. A 'smoking' room would require more cleaning, as a non-smoker wouldn't be too impressed if it stunk of smoke the next day, plus, as above, the insurance may be higher with the added fire hazard.

I do think its more of a courtesy thing not to smoke, a bit like when the hospitals say the grounds are a 'smoke free zone'. They can't actually stop you from smoking outside, but would obviously prefer if you didn't.

You should be considerate to future guests.

No one wants to rent a room smelling like your filthy cigarette smog.

Get some manners.