The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Nice to see some old names on here and glad everyone is doing well, 16 months for me now and still so glad I am free of the cigarettes ruling my time/life. For those of you starting on the road to freedom just bear with the nausea, bad sleep etc it is worth it in the end. Champix is amazing for those that it works for or those that persevere with taking it, good luck x

16 months is awesome going. Thousands of pounds saved, not to mention health benefits, you should be proud of yourself.:)

well done kazpa, 15 months for me, had an occasional puff on the cigar(yuk) but its enough to kick into touch any cravings or lingering doubts.

hiya, im on day 8 without a fag, going out this weekend though with my mates, hope im strong enough not to be tempted, thing is i enjoy a fag when im drinking. at least thats what im telling myself

joiner, if you have a fag then you have one, but you'll find it does nothing for you, and you can always start again the next day, giving up cannot be done over night, nor can you put your life on hold, otherwise the evil weed will still have a hold over you..

I've just passed my 3 year anniversary. I can't imagine myself ever smoking.

Well done to all those still stopped and good luck to those going for it

x

Lyn I can remember you so well from when I started on Champix. I too am off the cigs for 2 yrs and 8 months approx. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Hey all of you starting your journey to giving up cigs, good luck I found this forum such a help. I spent nights reading everyone s story and it was so helpful. Champix makes quitting very doable. I quit after 38 yrs of 20 a day as the old saying goes if I can do it ..............One thing for sure you will never regret quitting, so give it the best go you can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have noticed that a lot of people on here bang on about the cost of smoking to the NHS while our biggest threat seems to be obesity.

Yes smoking infront of you kids should not happen but what about the damage some parents will put on there children over feeding them?

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/03/24/the-cost-of-obesity/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7654153.stm

I have noticed that a lot of people on here bang on about the cost of smoking to the NHS while our biggest threat seems to be obesity.

Yes smoking infront of you kids should not happen but what about the damage some parents will put on there children over feeding them?

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/03/24/the-cost-of-obesity/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7654153.stm

What if you're a fatty that smokes in front of your kids?!

Fat, thin, smoker or none smoker, who gives a toss? Lte people get on with there lives.

There's a difference between treating smoking and obesity though.

The article claims:

£4.2 billion is spent on obesity every year by the NHS. Pretty huge. This astonishing amount of money is spent on gastric bypass operations, stomach stapling, jaw wiring, cosmetic surgery and medications for diabetes, high blood pressure and numerous other problems brought on by living lazily on a diet of, well, crap.

Why don't we just not give people gastric bypass operations and stomach stapling? Let the fat swines eat themselves to death.

While I don't like smoking, I do accept its an addiction that needs to be treated in a professional way. Stuffing cakes into your mouth is not an addiction.

The article claims:

Why don't we just not give people gastric bypass operations and stomach stapling? Let the fat swines eat themselves to death.

While I don't like smoking, I do accept its an addiction that needs to be treated in a professional way. Stuffing cakes into your mouth is not an addiction.

Can you prove this?

What about the cost of treating eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia?

The constant emphasis on being thin and the images put over by the media that there is a certain size above which you are 'fat' are at least in part responsible for a lot of heartache and heartbreak in addition to the cost of treating these disorders.

Whilst I agree that obesity is a problem it is time that people were allowed to be the way they are without the pressure to be skinny. If an obese person is not happy with the way they are then give them all the help they need to change but stop plastering every magazine, newspaper and advertising break with diets and slimming products.

The article claims:

Your wrong it is an addiction. An addiction that you can't just give up. The same mental issues that make fags and alcohol addictive also can cause people to over eat. The cravings for fatty processed foods are like nicotine cravings but the difference is you can live without fags or booze you can't live without food so to break the addiction you can't just give up food completely like you can booze and fags you have to moderate it. Imagine an alcoholic having to just have three small drinks a day and not want more or someone to have to smoke half a cig three times a day but no more than that. And they have to visit their demon every single day.

just been reading champix reviews, and its put me about abit, im starting to feel sick quite alot, how old is this drug? do we know all there is to know about it, im thinking of coming off it, and trying alternative treatment. what do you reckon?

Just popped in to encourage any new givers up out there it has been 4 years today since I gave up smoking thanks to champix. I never think about smoking anymore and when I see people smoking I actually feel sorry for them. Champix can make you feel sick and make sure your friends and family keep an eye on you but It helped me and my husband kick the evil habit so the vivid dreams and feeling sick for an hour a day was well worth it (not sure about the farting!!!). Now we are on a diet I wish champix could help with that lol. Good luck giving up keep trying I cannot believe how good life is without the fags. Thanks for the support on this site too and RIP Kevin xox