The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

I have filled it in for you.

Also looked back a few pages and seen some old names, good to "see" you all and happy to see that you are all still non smokers or still trying. You are all some of the people that I will never forget x

Hello,

I am very inexperienced on this forum, so i apologise if this post seems a bit random, but I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to help me with my final year undergraduate project that is focusing on stopping smoking.

Please be aware that participation is OPTIONAL and involves filling out a short questionnaire, which will take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete. It is FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY and you are not expected to provide your name, contact details or any personal details. However, at the end of the questionnaire you will be given the opportunity to contact myself (the researcher) if you would like to provide further help with this research.

Ethical approval has been gained from the Department of Sociological Studies Research Ethics Committee at The University of Sheffield. All information will remain completely confidential and will only be used for the purpose of this study.

As i am unable to post the web address as a link, in order to access the questionnaire please copy and paste the following into the address bar on your internet page and it should take you straight to the questionnaire:

kwiksurveys.com?u=smokingquestionnaire

When filling out the questionnaire please note the following:

• If you have successfully given up smoking, please only answer the questions in PART 1 and PART 2.

• If you have tried to give up smoking but have started again, please only answer the questions in PART 1 and PART 3.

I really appreciate any help that can be given.

I hope you are all well.

Many thanks and regards.

I look in about every 12 months now.

smoked 35 per day for 40+ years.

Dr frightened me with high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc

Stopped Feb 2008

Took Champix but it didn't reduce the cravings whilst still giving unpleasant side effects

Stuck with it

Not smoked for 4 years, and been ill ever since I stopped !

Could be age I suppose ;)

I look in about every 12 months now.

smoked 35 per day for 40+ years.

Dr frightened me with high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc

Stopped Feb 2008

Took Champix but it didn't reduce the cravings whilst still giving unpleasant side effects

Stuck with it

Not smoked for 4 years, and been ill ever since I stopped !

Could be age I suppose ;)

Funny thing is that happened to me. Started getting colds, flu and virusues after I stopped, had a two week spell of gastro-entitirits too. 7 months on Body seems to have adjusted now and I'm back to normal.

Wonder if theres a medical reason for this. It's like stopping smoking messes with your immune system or something?

my stop date is 30th of jan!

think im going to give champix a go

Hows the no smoking going Andy?

Hi everybody I dont come on here anymore as it has been banned at work which is where I used to log on most. I am still off the ciggies since May 2010 and very rarely think about them anymore which I never thought would happen. The thing that keeps me off them is knowing that just one would have me back on them and I really don't want that to happen. Good luck to everyone. I could not have done it without Champix and all the encouragement on this site.

Good stuff. Keep it up! it can be a daily battle but its worth it in the long run.

Well done everyone who has quit. Keep it up.

Becky

ON day 13 with Champix ( day 6 without a fag) but the nausea is terrible. is it too soon to reduce monring dose to half. Dont get nausea in the evening when i take it?!

ON day 13 with Champix ( day 6 without a fag) but the nausea is terrible. is it too soon to reduce monring dose to half. Dont get nausea in the evening when i take it?!

Hi, I found that if I have breakfast before taking the Champix it wasn't so bad (tip, don't get the bus immediately after taking it). You are better in the evening because you have lots of food in your system. It does get better honest, I gave up in August so it does work.

Oh, and to help with the nausea I bought extra strong mints, they really do help.

Nice to see some old names on here and glad everyone is doing well, 16 months for me now and still so glad I am free of the cigarettes ruling my time/life. For those of you starting on the road to freedom just bear with the nausea, bad sleep etc it is worth it in the end. Champix is amazing for those that it works for or those that persevere with taking it, good luck x

Hows the no smoking going Andy?

hiya, im on day 8 without a fag, going out this weekend though with my mates, hope im strong enough not to be tempted, thing is i enjoy a fag when im drinking. at least thats what im telling myself

Stopped since September the 9th using champix, never looked back since. Feel so much better and I have definitely noticed the benefit in my bank account!!

hiya, im on day 8 without a fag, going out this weekend though with my mates, hope im strong enough not to be tempted, thing is i enjoy a fag when im drinking. at least thats what im telling myself

Well done Andy. This weekend will be tough I'm afraid, why don't you buy a patch to put on so your less tempted or just tell your mates not to give you one no matter what you say!!