The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

well done, stick with it it`ll be worth it health wise and you`ll save a fortune.

saying that i was having a bad day today and ended up having to put a patch on after nearly losing it, I`m on day 8 now and have no intention of starting again.

try nicorrette tablets under the tongue dont swallow them though :gag: :gag: :gag:

This is my second serious attempt at quitting smoking & I'm now on my 5th day, it seems harder this time than the last where i did nearly 2 weeks, the cravings for me seem stronger which is why I don't understand these people who say it does get easier & you will feel better etc..etc..

To me it's just like torturing yourself for longer just because you've done a x amount of days without a cigarette & would have to go through it all over again.

Theres a new pill out now. You can get it via prescription and its said to be the best thing out there. It works by fooling your brain into thinking that it has nicotine even though you arent smoking so you simply dont get the cravings.

I forget its name but they say its incredible. I tried Zyban last year but that was crap but Zyban is primarily an anti depressant but is said to help with jacking fags in. The new pill is solely for quitting the cigs.

I tried Zyban last time I tried to quit smoking & noticed no difference whatsoever, I think it's just a placebo with most people, who says this new pill is incredible?

Just tried googling but can't find anything?

suggest you go and visit people in hospital dying of lung cancer - it's not pretty.

I tried Zyban last time I tried to quit smoking & noticed no difference whatsoever, I think it's just a placebo with most people, who says this new pill is incredible?

Just tried googling but can't find anything?

The doc grabbed hold of me a few weeks ago and asked me if Im still smoking. I told him that although Id cut down dramatically I was still having the occasional cig-usually up to about five per day.

He then told me about the new pill and told me of its benefits. Although its used for heavy smokers, he said I could use it to finally kill the last vestiges of cravings so in a couple of weeks time Im going to be on a course. I just wish I could remember the name of the damn thing, but once Im on it, Ill start a thread with regular updates like I did with the Zyban thread last year.

I quit in Feb, had the gum for near on 2 months then one weekend, I didn't buy anymore gum. Been completely nictine free for a couple of weeks now. I've never felt so good, proper restful nights sleep, wake up feeling alert, no worrying about getting lung cancer.

I find the gum really worked for me becuase you can dose yourself. If you're stressed have a coupla of pieces back to back, if not, don't have any. I know 2 months seems like a long time but it really does take this long.

Just keep going, it'll be worth it.

Another good tip is to start exercise, even if you're still smoking, because time exercising is inherently time spend not smoking. You'll get fitter and it gives you a good reason to give up the smokes. It also really highlights the health benefits of quitting as you get faster, feel better during exercise.

yeah, havn`t had one now for 10 days and am already feeling better, totally agree with byevilroot about the exercise thing, i`ve started going to the gym again and climbing, as well as taking my mind off smoking i feel a million times better!

Ive been stopped 3 months now, i tried the patches at 1st but they itched like mad so came off them, i also had the inhilator which i found to be really good as its still like having a ciggy basically, so its good if your in the pub, but then i read the allen carr book and hey presto, no more fags

I smoked for about 13 years, of course was always well aware that it was a bad thing, but it wasn't until I started going to the gym (The fantastic Wicker Camp Thaiboxing Gym) that it really started getting to me. I was going to the gym and working really hard, then coming out and having a fag. This made me think 'This is so stupid', the seed was planted in my head to stop.

Then a couple of months later I was talking to a friend in the pub (I'm trying to cut down on drinking too, but that's another story.) who was telling me that they'd given up.

"It's been six weeks." They said, "The first week was horrible, but then as time went by it got easier, and now I'm fine. I feel SO much better, I'm really glad I held on while it was hard, and got through it."

Now this friend of mine is not the most iron-willed guy in the world, and it made me think 'If he can do it, so can I'. Also, hearing from someone who had suffered through the withdrawl and come out the other side, pleased that they had, really inspired me.

The next day I got up and said to myself 'No more'. I haven't smoked for nearly 3 years now, and suprisingly, especially to me, I have at no point wanted a cigarette or had any sort of withdrawl symptoms.

Every day for a month or so after I gave up, I expected to get the usual things, irritability, insomnia, weight gain, inability to concentrate, but nothing happened.

I think firstly that each person is unique, one person's experience or the stereotypical 'smoker trying to give up' may well not be what happens to you.

But of course what went on with me is worth a try. I think what made the difference with me is that while I was still smoking, I consciously and unconsciously made the decision to stop, I imagined it like there's a little switch in your head, and while it's in one position, no matter how hard you try, you can't quit, you suffer and relent. When it gets switched to the other position, however, you can just walk away from it easily.

Go to the gym. Work really hard in there. Visit lung cancer patients, watch footage of cancer surgery, do whatever it takes to flip that switch.

Sorry to go on and on, but it's SO MUCH BETTER not smoking, it's worth it, really.

Good luck my friend.

Hi,

Because of the relative success of this thread, I decided to add this forward to welcome you to it. I started the Champix in May of `07 and was soon joined by lots of people worldwide all using, or deciding to use the same pill.

As of me writing this (11/12/07) there have been various results from various people and everyone who adds to the thread is helping others.

PLEASE register and join the thread, if you already havent. The Forum IS Sheffield forum, but everyone is very welcome to join this and any other thread on here.

I hope the thread helps you as much as it did me and does others.

Finally, Id like to thank you all in advance for your contributions.

Now, read on, and embrace the madness...

I am now officially a Guinea pig.

This morning, I started on a course of Champix to help me to finally quit smoking.

I dont smoke much these days, but I just cant get rid of that final need for a cig eight or nine times each day.

So Im going to take these pills, put my experiences here each day in the Hope that itll persuade some of you SLOBS to quit too. If I fail, then at least you`ll know why I failed and might be able to avoid my errors when and if you decide to take the pills.

The pills are new, still experimental so "They" dont know exactly how they`ll effect everyone and thats why Im classed as a Guinea pig.

I tried the patches, the lozenges, the gum, cold turkey (Theyre hell to swallow with a glass of water, damn feathers) and Zyban, another pill that was accidentally discovered that kills the urge to smoke. None of these worked for me, but Champix works directly on the nicotine receptors in the brain, fooling them into thinking that youre still smoking even after you stopped.

So, I take one white pill today, one tomorrow and one on Wednesday, then on Thurdsay I take 2 white pills per day up until day eight.

Then I take two BLUE pills each day and sometime between days eight and fourteen I stop smoking- have my final cig.

The course is for twelve weeks and if neccessary, the docs may give me another twelve weeks of the blue pills, just to make certain that the cravings have gone.

So, thats it, I took the first pill today, and I`ll keep the thread informed of my progress or lack thereof.

If you have any questions, ask away and I`ll answer them as best I can.

Eye theng-yew!