The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Hi just popped in to say made it 10 years today :o:)

Congratulations , keep it up

Has this forum stoped/ or have they stoped giving out Champix? gave up 12/11/10 and still smoke free.... know its been a long time since posting, but thought this site would still be going strong.It gave me lots of support in the past.... A big thank you for the people who were posting on page 370 and onwards.

Hi All,

Just logged in because it was the only place (other than the GPs) to find out when I gave up smoking. It is now 8 years - I thought it was 5. Haven't smoked since although there are odd times when I miss it. I was a champix baby.

Many thanks to all those posted such supportive and informative messages over the years.

All the best,

Sierra888

Don't miss smoking but miss the 32" waist I had back then.:help:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

2years on Aug 1st..saved in the region of £5000.

What an epic thread! Shall we revive it? I’m just starting champix today!

I shall report on my progress. It’s day one today and I’ve smoked for 34 years at around 30 a day. I’ve tried everything from hypnotherapy, NRT, vaping, cold turkey basically everything. 

I really want to give up now.

Still smoking today and plan to give up by about day 15. 

Also I’m based in Australia... this thread has travelled far!

I gave my new 2oz tin of Golden Virginia,pack of Rizla and box of Swan Vestas to my mate at work in early 1987...32 years ago,no tablets,patches etc just pure determination.....I have never touched another fag since...I started smoking while still at school in the late 50's,not yet a teenager,....and often spent my bus fare money on them when i went to higher school....pack of Domino  3 for 7d.....5 Park Drive about 10d, i remember buying a pack of 20 Players when i started work in 1964...just to show off i s'pose.. they cost 4/6d...I have never really craved for one and i dread to think what i would be like if i had carried on.Its only when you have been stopped smoking for a while that you realise how those that do "stink", in fact the heavy smokers make me retch at the smell...This morning i have just returned from a 4 mile walk,i do it everyday,sometimes twice...before i stopped i was out of breath after a couple of hundred yards...BUT you have got to really WANT to stop smoking..i always did,and so glad of it.....just to add i turned 70  last year and feel i am fitter than i was 32 years ago,if i hadn't stopped i honestly don't think i would be here.......:)

So good  Euclid. How great that you did it then 🙂

Day 3 today. No side effects at all yet but I’m only on 0.5mg a day so that might change when it goes up. Cigs first day 30... second day 19... not sure why... maybe busy at work

On 07/04/2019 at 07:22, euclid said:

I gave my new 2oz tin of Golden Virginia,pack of Rizla and box of Swan Vestas to my mate at work in early 1987...32 years ago,no tablets,patches etc just pure determination.....I have never touched another fag since...I started smoking while still at school in the late 50's,not yet a teenager,....and often spent my bus fare money on them when i went to higher school....pack of Domino  3 for 7d.....5 Park Drive about 10d, i remember buying a pack of 20 Players when i started work in 1964...just to show off i s'pose.. they cost 4/6d...I have never really craved for one and i dread to think what i would be like if i had carried on.Its only when you have been stopped smoking for a while that you realise how those that do "stink", in fact the heavy smokers make me retch at the smell...This morning i have just returned from a 4 mile walk,i do it everyday,sometimes twice...before i stopped i was out of breath after a couple of hundred yards...BUT you have got to really WANT to stop smoking..i always did,and so glad of it.....just to add i turned 70  last year and feel i am fitter than i was 32 years ago,if i hadn't stopped i honestly don't think i would be here.......:)

Good for you, I can only echo your thoughts on stopping before it's too late. I did leave it a little late myself and I have severe COPD, although I also worked in the welding industry for 53 years. The strange thing is that once I decided enough was enough, I found it relatively easy. I had tried every aid on the market over the years, to no avail. Then on January 5th 2014 at 9.30 pm I smoked the last cigarette I will ever smoke, no aids, no assistance whatsoever. How I wish I had possessed that same resolve 30 years earlier.

Edited by Ontarian1981

I smoked at primary school and continued until I was 20. I was, at one stage, in the Forces in Aden, where we got free cigs (which were, apparently, confiscated ciggies by the UK Customs)

But, at the age of twenty after the 1964 Budget,  I decided to stop. It took c six months till I’d killed the craving. 

I’ve not smoked for 55years, but smoking contributed significantly to the deaths of both my mother and father. 

It’s so worth quitting isn’t it? And it’s great to hear your stories. I’m onto day 5 of champix and so now taking two 0.5mg tablets a day. Still smoking but only about half what I used to smoke. Not sure why but I’m just not thinking about it so much. No side effects as yet but they may start with the higher dosage.

Well done to those of you who did it cold turkey. I have done that before and then slipped up. Onward! 

On 09/04/2019 at 14:36, Ontarian1981 said:

Good for you, I can only echo your thoughts on stopping before it's too late. I did leave it a little late myself and I have severe COPD, although I also worked in the welding industry for 53 years. The strange thing is that once I decided enough was enough, I found it relatively easy. I had tried every aid on the market over the years, to no avail. Then on January 5th 2014 at 9.30 pm I smoked the last cigarette I will ever smoke, no aids, no assistance whatsoever. How I wish I had possessed that same resolve 30 years earlier.

Why do you think you had the resolve at that point? What was different for you? And well done!

On 10/04/2019 at 06:05, Mossway said:

I smoked at primary school and continued until I was 20. I was, at one stage, in the Forces in Aden, where we got free cigs (which were, apparently, confiscated ciggies by the UK Customs)

But, at the age of twenty after the 1964 Budget,  I decided to stop. It took c six months till I’d killed the craving. 

I’ve not smoked for 55years, but smoking contributed significantly to the deaths of both my mother and father. 

So great to give up early in life. I wish I had too. Funnily enough I am really fit and run half marathons! I have even had a cig at the end of a half marathon! I’m possibly part stupid!

but I know it’s playing with fire even when you’re fit and look outwardly healthy.

This thread seems to be dead but ah well, someone may come across it that wants to know about the champix. I did! 

So day 8 today and now into the 1mg tablets twice a day. I did consider just taking one tablet a day as I am tiny but I’m going to give it a bash with 2 and see how I go. Still smoking, not feeling any different yet ....