The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

G'day Woodsmoke and Eclipse. Good to see you are still non smokers. To the rest of you keep up the good work, as time passes it will get easier.

After 43 years of heavy smoking I have not smoked for nearly 4 years (June 2010), no regrets whatsoever!

I made up my mind to give up smoking for no particular reason except I could see no good reason for smoking, even though I enjoyed smoking , I felt it was time to quit and I did not want to influence grandchildren to smoke. It is only the last couple of years I realise just how much the smell of smoking gets into clothes, hair, hands etc. I now realise what my wife, a non smoker has put up with for the past 40 years.

I used champix, ensured I took the full course to avoid the possibility of failure. I did not have any problems with champix, perhaps I was fortunate, however I was determined to kick the habit. I am quite happy for others to smoke around me, so long as they don't smoke in my vehicle or office.

Many times since I have wondered why it took me so long to attempt to give up smoking. The only things I can think of are the fear of failure, fear of the unknown and the belief of the difficulity to kick the habit. In fact I found it a lot easier than expected and I do not miss looking for a place to have a smoke or diving into to my pockets to but a packet of cigarettes

To all you newbies out there, keep at it, be determined and let your common sense prevail......don't let it beat you and kick the habit.....you will not be sorry.

Cheers to all

Neild

Australia :)

Hi Everyone Old & New

I have been stopped for 31/2 years now and as I have said before it was the easiest thing ever with the help of Champix, this is from the woman who as she was putting the first tablet in her mouth was thinkning I don't want to stop I love smoking!

I now feel so much better and tbh can't stand the smell of stale smoke ( never say anything though for fear of being labelled one of those ex smokers who preach to everyone ) I don't know how my husband of 38 yrs stood gettin g into bed with me as a non smoker I don't think I could do it.

Good luck to everyone who is trying, well done to everyone who has succeeded and to those of you contemplating it Go For It, it is so liberating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Hypnosis is defined as an altered state of awareness in which you appear to be asleep or in a trance. Clinical hypnosis may be used to treat certain physical or psychological problems. For instance, it is frequently used to help patients control pain. It is also used in a wide range of other conditions such as weight issues, speech disorders, and addiction problems.

Well done all the ex-smokers. A century ago around 80% of men smoked and now it is 20% and still continuing to fall. The tobaco industry are still dedicated to keeping people addicted. When i treat smokers I remind them of how we were trained to smoke by the licorice pipes and sweets make into cigerettes and how as kids we would breath out in foggy weather pretending we were "grown ups."

I am also a trained Quit worker, I think last time I was on I mentioned how kids were coming into the Quit service who had started using the ecigs and had developed a nicotine addiction that way. Anyway it seems that the testing is moving forwards and ecigs could be prescribed at some point. The cynic in me thinks that the products they sanction will be made by the tobacco industry, lets see if I am wrong.

Quitting is theoretically pretty straight forward. Don't smoke today and in 3 days you will have the same physical need to smoke as me. If that was the main challenge of smoking I think millions would be quit by the end of the week. You have to adapt your lifestyle, just as you have adapted your lifestyle to continue smoking. People are quitting daily so keep trying, each time you are back on the fags remember how many days off you have treated yourself to and increase that next time. You will get there.

Manage your stress, get a distraction, do it for charity, do it for your loved ones, save the money and treat yourself from all your hard work.

I work helping people with anxiety, other more destructive addictions and weight. Fags are often seen as a treat to some people. Don't get conned by the marketing, they are only a treat for the shareholders.

Keep trying you will get there in your own time.

Dave

Hi All,

Congratulations if you have recently stopped smoking!!

If any of you need any help to stop please contact Allen Carr's Easyway Clinic Sheffield.

If you stop using this method you will suffer no withdrawal pangs whatsoever. Most people only need to attend one course (which lasts approx. 4 hours) and they are then escape from the nicotine trap and enjoy their lives so much more.

Joseph

Try Allen Carr's Easyway clinic in Sheffield.

There is a seminar on Saturday 10th January for a special price of £149. Saving of £111.

If you attend you will stop that day and be free for the rest of your life!!

Promo code = Jan

well, i quit 12/11/10, had an odd cigar when feeling really down, only to put it out after the first puff. Its a shame that this site is now so quite (I have not visited for several years, must admit ) I did find it very helpful. anyway all the best to all who have given up, and yes you can do it to all those thinking of giving up (don't think about it, just do it) all the best all.

Quit 8yrs now, but left it to late, people think it can never happen to them getting smoking related disease. You need will power or go and visit a hospital ward where they treat this kind of disease then people could alter their habbit Just my point of view

Hello again to all - this seems to be my own personal yearly update - reminds me of my anniversary or I can forget number of years!

Hello to those who quit several years back and those that have only recently found this forum and maybe the Champix path..

I am still around though rarely think to visit the forum these days.

I stopped 5 years back using Champix and haven't smoked anything since. I still miss the nicotine but not the smoking part and don't intend going back!

Stopping smoking after a lifetime as a smoker is hard, it still leaves me with an empty feeling somedays but as each year passes it gets easier, even almost forgot my 'quit anniversary' this year..

Forum doesn't seem to be as active as it once was - merged with another thread then declined - shame as it helped me so much..

Kind regards to all those older members whoose comments I found so helpful in the early times of my Champix assisted path to becoming a non-smoker.

It was tough and nicotine is still occasionally missed even now but it was necessary, just that my mind & body couldn't see it..

thanks to all..

Hi guys

Have not been here for years, but I am still a nonsmoker. This forum was very helpful for me when I started champix 4 years ago. And I use to say if I can quit, everybody can. :hihi: So if are thinking about it still, just do it, not so hard you'll see and good luck :cool:

Has anyone on here tried this drug to help them stop smoking?

I have read a lot on the net about it, but as most remarks are on "health" sites not sure if a) they are real. or b) just biased.

I would be interested to know if anyone had any side effects and what they were and did it actually work. No point putting myself through it if it doesn't work.

Have decided after reading through this thread to start my "Champix" tomorrow. It was lovely to see people giving accounts of their daily progress and offering support to each other.

I'm rather concerned about the side effects but have noticed that it seems to be mainly on the higher dosage. I need to be able to drive and it says on the pack that the tabs can make one drowsy. As anyone had this?

It's the side effect of the taste that I need as I know that if I don't like the taste I won't smoke (had a similar effect from glaucoma drops a couple of years ago). Does this side effect make food also taste dodgy?

I'm 59 and have been smoking since I was 15, but stopped when I found I was preggy twice with no problem. I don't smoke anywhere apart from in my front room at home. I know mine is a habit rather than an addiction but it's a bugger to break.

Will update as I go along and will welcome any tips etc. (please no comments on my spelling, I know it's bad but can't be checking the dictionary every min).

Edited by liza D

Well, I totally forgot about this forum, and only stumbled across it again by accident. I will be 6 years smoke free at the end of this year. Hope all other quitters are doing just as well x