The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Youre very welcome and please dont let my experience with the pills colour your next few months. I and a few others had a rather rough time on them but many succeeded on them.

I dont use the forum often now but I DO lurk disgustingly around the edges of this thread, spying, leering, drooling onto my keyboard. Its always good to see new people join here and if you get the time it might be good for you to have a look around the other threads on Sheffield forum, its a good place with some lovely people and theres always something to contribute to.

God I sound like an advert.

Anyway, as I said earlier, good luck and a lot of people are behind you even if they dont actually type much here, you`ll find that when you really need them, there will be lots of people with some good, sound advice plus anything you contribute will help those who follow.

Hi again everyone, quick update on day 4.

Still not feeling nauseus taking the tablet (usually with 2 slices of toast in the morning) so that's good. No other side effects either except a weird dream last night that Liz Hurley had come to live with me (bizarre!!!).

Interestingly, I've not smoked as much today so far. I am conscious of that as I'm now keeping a notebook near the back door to mark every time I have a cigarette. They're definitely not hitting the mark either and the taste in my mouth is not great after. Have decided to knock the pre-dinner glass of wine on the head for a while too - it will definitely not help my resolve to cut back before stop day (day 12).

I'll be taking my second tablet this evening for the first time.

Just poppin back to see if there are any of the 'oldies' still about. I have now entered by 4th year of quitting, good luck to all still in their infancy, and it does get better

Hello to all -those who quit several years back and those that have only recently found this forum and maybe the Champix path..

I am still around though rarely think to visit the forum these days.

I stopped 3 years back using Champix and haven't smoked anything since. I still miss the nicotine but not the smoking part and don't intend going back!

Stopping smoking after a lifetime as a smoker is hard, it still leaves me with an empty feeling somedays but as each year passes I think about it less and less.

Crazy thing is its not just easier as every week passes but it takes years - it gets better and easier as every year passes - but still not completely gone for me - it is indeed a powerful addiction.

Put on weight in first year but now stabilised and I'm just about back to where I want to be, though it has taken some time. I nolonger eat as many treats between meals and despite a passion for biscuits I have cut out alcohol too which helps cut my calorie intake.

Interesting to see there are many older names still on forum who have quit for several years too. It must be gratitude or a need for support still or why would we come back here, even if its infrequent.

I know myself that if I ever smoked just one cig I would probably be back where I started on 20+ a day. In my case I can't consider it as I have issues with breathing - probably caused by the smokes, so I now have to take puffer steriods everyday to retain lung capacity.

I nolonger have the awful smokers cough I had in latter years or cataargh.

Best wishes to all, especially to those newbies on champix path, just follow the full course, if you stick with the tablets and not the cigs you will make it. I did so you can.

Hi Woodsmoke - I remember reading your posts when i first looked at the forum and it's so inspiring to read your still smoke free.

I'm not sure if anyone is reading this but I'll give an update anyway - it's therapeutic for me :)

Day 9 on Champix. I stopped cigarettes last Friday (day 5). I had a couple of puffs from one and it wasnt pleasant. I just decided there and then that I'd stop. Threw the remaining packs I had away - just didnt want to take any chances. I thought the weekend would be tough but managed fine. Just had to change routines slightly and take a few deep breaths every now and then when i thought the urge was coming.

At the moment i do feel like i have a lot of extra time on my hands - especially in the morning. Now, I come downstairs and make some breakfast straight away so that I'm occupying myself instead of musing over my loss of cigarettes. I do feel (as others have said) that you need to have some willpower yourself as the tablets don't do all the hard work. I know for sure though that i couldnt have kick-started the process and managed 5 days relatively stress free without Champix.

Yesterday i started the double dose of 1mg and the morning tablet did make me feel slightly sick even though i ate 2 slices of toast. The evening one was fine but I decided this morning to cut my tablet in half. Only side effects I have are the vivid (not scary) dreams, mild nausea and a very, very tickly cough which is worse at night. Despite this, i feel better already and have more 'get up and go'. My chest doesnt feel so tight, my eyes seem whiter and i'm not forever dowsing myself in perfume to hide the smell whenever i see clients / family etc (will save a small fortune in perfume alone!).

Hello Sam

How are you getting on? I am on day two of champix. This is my second time. I gave up for eight months last year using champix. I don't really know why I started again, i think it was the foolish feeling that I could just have one!!

I have noticed this time that the tablets are affecting me quicker. The cigarettes are already seeming pointless. I hope I can do it this time. Im now 48 years old so its time I had some sense.

Let me know how you are doing? And anyone else out there who can give some advice.

Hi Dee,

it's good to know someone else is starting the Champix with me :-).

I know what you mean about the 1 cigarette and I just know if i had one, i'd be hooked again. I've made half hearted attempts in the past and made that mistake. Got to say though that Champix is doing it's job. A good test is the last few days as I've been snowed in and it's a 2 mile walk to the nearest shop - that's been an extra kick not to give in to cigarettes ha!

One thing i did learn later today having read some of the old posts is that you really need to keep to the dose and see the full 3 months out. So, I've just had the full 1mg tablet and not cut this one in half like i had done yesterday whoops!!

Hi there

Today is going fine. I am loosing the urge to smoke. Its only day 3 but I have a few cigarettes left in the packet so Ill smoke them and thats it. I am off work now until Monday so its a good time to start. I had my first champix dream last night. I had forgotten how vivid they are. Other than that no ill effects yet from the tablets.

I know from my last quit I had difficulties when I went on two blue tabs a day. I was feeling a bit spaced out. The doctor at that time told me to try just one a day and try to take it around lunch time. That worked well last time. Ill see how it goes this time but if I need to I will do that.

How are you getting on Sam? Are you having any ill effects or is it all going well? I am not telling anyone at work I am taking champix because they blamed everything on the tablets! If I disagreed with something they said it was the champix. If I stood up for myself at all they blamed the champix. It put doubt in my mind so I came off them. So this time it is only my nearest and dearest who know. They have promised to tell me if I start behaving out of character.

Let me know how you are doing.

Hi Dee,

luckily I work from home quite a bit so I don't have the office to deal with but i understand what you're saying. Unfortunately I've told all and sundry that I'm on Champix so there's no room for failure :). I was actually chatting to a colleague today who is several months down the line after using Champix. He said that he is never tempted at all to smoke again, primarily because he feels so good now and has bags of energy. Plus smoking a cigarette again would be like dripping poison into his body (which, i guess is correct!).

Yesterday, i took the 1mg dose with dinner and i did feel the effects last night and this morning. I had incredibly vivid dreams - about 4 or 5 different one. I did wake up several times but went straight back to sleep. This morning though, i really struggled to get out of bed. Thank god i had no meetings planned as i switched the alarm off and went back to sleep. I'm usually a morning person and I'm on the laptop working by around 7.30am so it's got to be the Champix.

One last thing, I asked my colleague about any weight gain as i've heard a few scary stories of eating the same but still putting on weight. He said he'd not experienced this at all. If he felt a need for a fag or something to do, he had a glass of water. I'll try and do the same but the 6 pack of Penguins in the fridge were easily demolished this week as was the cheese. I need to make a real effort to stop picking but i know stopping smoking is the most important thing right now.

Hi

My first day not smoking. I woke this morning and realised it was D Day so I stayed in bed for another half hour, no need to rush to the garden for my usual morning fix. I had nice breakfast of porrige and coffee. My partner is on his way home, he works away for six days home for two. He gave up over a year ago he went cold turkey. He is coming home to cook a fry!! I am sooo going to get fat at this rate.

He will be happy that I have decided to stop smoking. he was always complaining about my hair smelling of smoke. I am going to the hairdressers today to get a new cut and blowdry. This is the start of my new non smoking life.

Dee

Hi Dee, good luck today, it's a strange day isnt it and I stopped on a Friday which initially i thought wasnt a good idea with the weekend looming but i survived it ok. in fact i just kept thinking how great i was that i wasnt smoking. I threw the little plant pot away that i used in the garden and also my lighter + cigarettes.This morning i took a full 1mg and feel sick as a dog. Just had to cram another piece of toast down to help the nausea. Think i will do what you mentioned and have just 1mg at lunchtime. Seeing the nurse on Tuesday so i will let her know what i'm doing.

I know what you mean about hair smelling. I have never smelt smoke on my hair but now after stopping, i can actually smell the hair products. Crumbs, did i really thing a quick squirt of perfume masked the tobacco!!

I think this is not useful to stop smoking.

Hi there,

I am a hypnotherapist, my name is Shauna T R Naylor and I run Hypnotherapy in Sheffield.

I can honestly say if you want to quit naturally there is a way using hypnosis.

My most recent stop smoking client smoked 20 a day, for the last 25 years. She stopped after one session. If you are wondering about this, please check our facebook page where you can see her daily diary and progress and hear about how much hypnotherapy impressed her.

It only takes one 2-3 hour session using my techniques, has no side effects, costs only £160 -saving you over one thousand six hundred pounds a year if you smoke a packet a day and gives you your health and freedom back for the future.

anyone interested please PM me or like the Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/hypnotherapyinsheffield

(there is currently a FURTHER £££ discount for the stop smoking hypnotherapy on there :))

Good luck to all of you who are considering stopping smoking, I did it myself after many years and it was the best thing I did!