The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

After reading loads of reviews and speaking to people who have used Champix I have still decided to try it.

It seems that 90% of people who have tried it have succeeded in their "Stop smoking" challenge although the side effects are very off-putting.

However I know its early days as Im only on my 2nd day but so far so good. I haven't experienced any bad effects up to now. I am still smoking the same amount of ciggies but according to the programme thats how it works. I intend to keep everyone who is interested up to date because I am hoping this product works after trying all other nicotine replacement things but have failed each time. This is my last hope

Are you receiving the support of a stop smoking advisor too? Good luck with stopping :)

Hi, no Im not seeing the smoke adviser this time. Ive had all that before and to be honest I find its mind over matter. The last smoke adviser I had, had never smoked in her life so excuse me but how did she know what I was going through.

Its up to me to do this and beat this once and for all.Thanks for your support.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 00:30 ----------

Hi and day 3 on champix. Still no side effects and still smoking the same amount.It has not put me off at all yet.Tomorrow I start with the 2 aday so I will keep you podted of any change

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 19:58 ----------

Well its now day 5 on the champix and I am having the one tablet morning and evening now. I have felt a little bit nauseous today even though I took both tablets after food. However, it is bearable and doesnt last long. I can cope with it knowing that in a few more days/weeks I will be a non-smoker.

At the moment I havent seen any great reductions in the amount Im smoking but hopefully the switch inside my head will soon start working. No bad dreams either up to now which was one big side-effect which seemed very common in the reviews. So far so good.

didn't stop me - cold turkey worked in the end.

babs

stopped 2 years ago. just stopped no help from anywhere

Hi, no Im not seeing the smoke adviser this time. Ive had all that before and to be honest I find its mind over matter. The last smoke adviser I had, had never smoked in her life so excuse me but how did she know what I was going through.

Its up to me to do this and beat this once and for all.Thanks for your support.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 00:30 ----------

Hi and day 3 on champix. Still no side effects and still smoking the same amount.It has not put me off at all yet.Tomorrow I start with the 2 aday so I will keep you podted of any change

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 19:58 ----------

Well its now day 5 on the champix and I am having the one tablet morning and evening now. I have felt a little bit nauseous today even though I took both tablets after food. However, it is bearable and doesnt last long. I can cope with it knowing that in a few more days/weeks I will be a non-smoker.

At the moment I havent seen any great reductions in the amount Im smoking but hopefully the switch inside my head will soon start working. No bad dreams either up to now which was one big side-effect which seemed very common in the reviews. So far so good.

Well done keep it up.I stopped about 7 years ago for the simple reason that my Mum died in front of me, of a furry artery, due to smoking and it is hereditary.You need to change your routine for example, when i got up, the 1st thing i did was get a cuppa and went for the fags.I changed this by getting straight in the shower and off to work a little earlier and had a coffee there instead.After about two weeks i forgot i was a smoker and felt great.

Just poppin back to see if there are any of the 'oldies' still about. I have now entered by 4th year of quitting, good luck to all still in their infancy, and it does get better

95.9 kg this morning. I'm losing about 1kg per month and this is the first time I've been in the 95's.

Put on 24 kg after I stopped smoking 4.5 years ago. Was 109kg in summer 2011, 105kg christmas 2011, now 95.9kg.

I've changed my diet (no sugar, cakes, etc and rare to have chips or fatty food) and the weight loss has been steady for the last 10 months or so.

Now 90.9kg, but I've started occasional smoking again.

Got to stop !

I have started smoking again after having quit for just over a year. My problem is at the moment I want to smoke. I am currently having around six cigarettes a day but don't have the willpower to quit just yet. Any advice appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I've just started Champix - day 2 today. I actually came across this forum last week whilst searching for info on the product. Think I've spent hours reading through all the posts from day 1 - it's been invaluable and the best advice i've found on the web. I'm in North Yorkshire and was prescribed the pill yesterday. So far, I've just felt a bit headachy but nothing else. I'm female, been smoking since i was around 24 and I've now just turned 45. Probably averaging around 15 menthol cigarettes a day.

I'll keep you posted on how i'm getting on.

Sam

Excellent stuff and welcome to the forum! I'll be interested to see how you manage, good luck and keep us informed!

Thanks very much Jabberwocky .....I feel I know you personally having trawled through the start of this forum!

Today is day 3 of the tablets. No nausea and no headache today. Funnily enough, when i woke up this morning i didnt have the urge to jump in the shower, go downstairs make a coffee and stand at the back door with a fag. Eventually i did of course have one but did taste a bit odd.

Working from home for most of the time is going to be a curse for once, i think. So easy to pop out of my little office whenever i need one but definitely something happening with the taste.

Onto 2 tabs tomorrow.....let battle commence! :roll: