The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

just been reading champix reviews, and its put me about abit, im starting to feel sick quite alot, how old is this drug? do we know all there is to know about it, im thinking of coming off it, and trying alternative treatment. what do you reckon?

Try taking your tablets just before you eat a big meal andy- i found that controls the nausia well.

I would stay on them as long as possible, even if its making you feel sick its much better in the long run and it is a proven way to help you quit.

I've just passed my 3 year anniversary. I can't imagine myself ever smoking.

Well done to all those still stopped and good luck to those going for it

x

Well done Lynn, still going strong and hi to more old faces Sittingbull and Scott.

It will be 2 years for me in May, still think about it but only occasionally now. Been through some very stressful things lately and got through without the fags so think I am cured now!

Keep with the tablets Andy, they are fantastic. Good luck.

me too ive now got the tablets lets see how i go, funny thing is i am now starting to get worried now about stopping, i know ive got to do it but it seems serious now!!!

just had a look back through this thread to see when i stopped smoking, it looks like its nearly my first anniversary!!

just had a look back through this thread to see when i stopped smoking, it looks like its nearly my first anniversary!!

That's great well done. I remember feeling exactly the same as your original quote, terrified at the thought of giving up, thinking that I just wouldn't be able to live without cigarettes. How do you feel now?

thanks for that. i find chewing gum helps and cutting the pll in half and taking it half hour apart is doing the trick!!

im going to try and stop AGAIN today! im not taking the champix though, it just didnt feel right. im going to go cold turkey. fingers crossed this time

That's great well done. I remember feeling exactly the same as your original quote, terrified at the thought of giving up, thinking that I just wouldn't be able to live without cigarettes. How do you feel now?

im now on tablets for high blood pressure and have put a few pounds on but im hoping to shed them in the next couple of months, i dont know how i managed to afford smoking, i really hate smoking now hate the smell of it its disgusting,

Erm ... I've not read through this thread for quite a while so this may have already been mentioned.

Today, I've just received my order for e-cigs (http://www.ecigsbrand.com)

I've not had a proper cig for over five hours now (unheard of for me) and have no desire to do so. Although these electric ciggies don't stop your craving for nicotine, I understand there's little health risk in smoking them. Apart from that, they don't smell and, as an added bonus, they're half the price of normal ciggies.

This is not the way to give up smoking but it certainly seems to me to be a much healthier way to get a nicotine fix. I've tried all the expensive Nicorette stuff to no avail (complete rip off) ... these e-cigs do appear to work! :)

It is now 2 years since I stopped on Champix. I am very probably the most reluctant non-smoker around but I am stopped so that is a success. I didn't put on a few pounds - I put on a few stone, well four actually. My breathing is no better (probably because of the four stone) and my taste and sense of smell hasn't improved (there was nothing wrong with it in the first place). I am definitely not fitter (that four stone again) and I don't have any extra money (I only smoked 7 a day and it is costing me a fortune in jelly beans, hence that four stone) Other than that, life is marvellous as a non-smoker ......!

22 months for me, all I know is that if you want to quit you have a far better chance of succeeding than if you don't. I was lucky, I really wanted to quit, and I'm sure that I won't start again. I recently lost a parent and never had the inclination to light up, that was a 100% cigarette moment, and it never entered my head.

Good luck to all.

It is now 2 years since I stopped on Champix. I am very probably the most reluctant non-smoker around but I am stopped so that is a success. I didn't put on a few pounds - I put on a few stone, well four actually. My breathing is no better (probably because of the four stone) and my taste and sense of smell hasn't improved (there was nothing wrong with it in the first place). I am definitely not fitter (that four stone again) and I don't have any extra money (I only smoked 7 a day and it is costing me a fortune in jelly beans, hence that four stone) Other than that, life is marvellous as a non-smoker ......!

That did make me :hihi: I know where you are coming from, but well done for still being quit!!

I have also not smoked for nearly 3 years. I did gain weight but I think that was more to do with other issues and not the non smoking. I feel so much better. The best thing is enjoying my 21/2 yr old grand daughter.

Best of luck to all of you going through champix, it worked for me.

It has not worked for my daughter though, she was very sick and just could not take them, she stopped for 4 months but then started again.